Updates to Fight for Wakanda (2/21/18)

1235»

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I enjoyed this event a lot. It forced me to use a lot of my roster, which I rarely do in PvE. Yes, it was hard. Yes, it took a long time. Yes, I'm probably going to drop down next time, because I need a break. But I still enjoyed the extra challenge and using more characters than just the one or two OP boosted heroes for the week. 
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Hope this goes the way of Boss Rush.  Complaint thread grows and grows without any higher level acknowledgement, but the event never sees the light of day again.  
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Hope this goes the way of Boss Rush.  Complaint thread grows and grows without any higher level acknowledgement, but the event never sees the light of day again.  
    If only we could be so fortunate.

The only way I'd ever want to do this event again is if they released Angela Bassett's character, Ramonda. 
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Okoye or M'Baku, for me.  And maybe, not even, because I hate this event.

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Style55 said:

I'm also glad that we have the option to turn off animations for characters which sped up matches. But wait... let's add hazard tiles to counter that and add more animation time because we don't have to already spend an absurd amount of time going for max progression as is. If that wasn't fun enough let's add green Sentry goons to the matches, Dark Avengers, Ultron, etc. Oh and let's not forget this event is an insane health pack drain!
    Why is it a health pack drain?  Just bench your wounded for a couple of nodes and bring in some other characters to fight.
  • Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    The "Neutral" tiles now require two extra AP for all powers.  Then, when they go off, they randomly stun one character from those not downed (one character total, could be yours or could be AI).

Again, doesn't add a huge challenge other than matches drag out longer if you use characters that need AP.  Nothing hard about it, just makes for longer matches overall.  
    Not to give Demi too much credit, but I would argue that there are some decent strategic options with the Astral plane tiles. I had a couple of rounds where I opted to leave the tiles on board instead of matching them because it would stall enemies from using abilities--which meant the difference between stunning Venom and taking a Lethal Protector to the face...

The ap-threshold component also means you get good synergy with AP manipulating heroes like Peggy, Blade & now Shuri. Plus as mentioned you can use Gamora, BSS or even Black Widow to take advantage of the random stuns. 

I won't argue that the tiles are quite obviously designed to draw out matches, but what else is new. :smirk: 
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Ragnoluce said:
    The "Neutral" tiles now require two extra AP for all powers.  Then, when they go off, they randomly stun one character from those not downed (one character total, could be yours or could be AI).

Again, doesn't add a huge challenge other than matches drag out longer if you use characters that need AP.  Nothing hard about it, just makes for longer matches overall.  
    Not to give Demi too much credit, but I would argue that there are some decent strategic options with the Astral plane tiles. I had a couple of rounds where I opted to leave the tiles on board instead of matching them because it would stall enemies from using abilities--which meant the difference between stunning Venom and taking a Lethal Protector to the face...

The ap-threshold component also means you get good synergy with AP manipulating heroes like Peggy, Blade & now Shuri. Plus as mentioned you can use Gamora, BSS or even Black Widow to take advantage of the random stuns. 

I won't argue that the tiles are quite obviously designed to draw out matches, but what else is new. :smirk: 
    Dont forget its especially great with bp5 boosted, if lucky enough its stings him..

Perhaps they could make it little less random: whoever matches it away, stuns a random enemy?
  • gentgeen
    gentgeen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    edited February 2018
    In general, I liked the changes, it made the event better than first run, but I still find the event to be a P.I.T.A. 

I do like the _IDEA_ of these hazard tiles, but my question....  How can they tell us these hazard tiles are "neutral" and they still have missed the biggest (and easiest to fix) issues:
    1. Tiles go off during the AI time only, so they get any secondary benefits (the extra tiles/matches and damage to me)
    2. Those shield tile countdowns only flip ALL shields to AI shields.  So not only do they get the secondary benefits, they also now get to steal EVERY shield on the board.
    "Tiles can show up at the beginning of either teams turn"  and "When the countdown goes off the ownership of all shield tiles are toggled"  -- Problems solved, I will take my paycheck now.  

• Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    To quote Charles Barkley, “”That was turrible”.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I notice is that some players can't take up extra challenges and can't really think out of the box.  If many other players can still rise to the top despite the challenges in Wakanda PvE, I don't see why other players can't. 
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I noticed that the astral plane tiles also stole ap. I had enough ap to cast skills and suddenly when it's my turn again my ap totals were different. I had enough to cast the skill with the tile on the board however when it disappeared I no longer had enough to cast it.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I notice is that some players can't take up extra challenges and can't really think out of the box.  If many other players can still rise to the top despite the challenges in Wakanda PvE, I don't see why other players can't. 
    I disagree that it has anything to do with extra challenges or thinking outside the box.  I finished fifth in my slice, so it's not that I couldn't do it.  It's that it is SO tinykitty long and, to be honest, boring.  It was just a slog fest.  There really was no "challenge".  It just took too long and, at least for me, not fun at all.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I noticed that the astral plane tiles also stole ap. I had enough ap to cast skills and suddenly when it's my turn again my ap totals were different. I had enough to cast the skill with the tile on the board however when it disappeared I no longer had enough to cast it.
    The astral plane hazard tiles increased the cost of your abilities, so it changes how the AP bars display.

For example, if you have a 6 AP move and only have 3 AP in that colour, the bar would originally show as 50% full.  With the hazard tile on the board, the power costs 8 AP and the bar shows 37.5% full.  You've still got the same 3 AP as before though.

Of course, there was also that node with Hood on the enemy team.  He'll definitely steal your AP ...
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    I had my Team-Up AP drained multiple times during the final round, and it was always ALWAYS immediately after I gained the AP to use my Team-Up. I had DP3's Whales! Team-Up, and every single time I finally got the 14 AP I needed to use it, the enemy team would have their turn, and on my very next turn suddenly I'd have only 3-4 AP. I didn't lose some of my Team-Up AP, I'd lose 80-90% of it. Every single **** time.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    JSP869 said:
    I had my Team-Up AP drained multiple times during the final round, and it was always ALWAYS immediately after I gained the AP to use my Team-Up. I had DP3's Whales! Team-Up, and every single time I finally got the 14 AP I needed to use it, the enemy team would have their turn, and on my very next turn suddenly I'd have only 3-4 AP. I didn't lose some of my Team-Up AP, I'd lose 80-90% of it. Every single tinykitty time.
    Do you have 5BP?  Was it the 5E?  His yellow passive is to use TU AP when a yellow match is made to deal extra damage...
  • sinburn
    sinburn Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    I'm sorry, but why are we supposed to be excited that this is still an event like 95% of the others (including reward structure), only tuned even more in favor of the AI in terms of scaling and health pack consumption?  
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Learned the hard way today that you don't want to bring the Hydra Henchmen support into the Royal Palace chapter.  I had it attached to Green Goblin, and had remarkably great luck with them fortifying shield tiles.

Then the stupid countdown tiles went off and I had fortified enemy shield tiles...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Learned the hard way today that you don't want to bring the Hydra Henchmen support into the Royal Palace chapter.  I had it attached to Green Goblin, and had remarkably great luck with them fortifying shield tiles.

Then the stupid countdown tiles went off and I had fortified enemy shield tiles...
    I had similar issues with Nico as a required character last time it ran. Not fortified, but they ended up with some ludicrously strong Protects that made matches take forever.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    If there are a dozen enemy protect tiles on the board, there are a few things you can do about it...it's just most of them require characters that are generally not in the top tier.

5-stars
    Power through them. You're making lots of match damage.
    Gambit's purple will overwrite them. (I said *generally* not top tier, OK? :)
    Strange can Eye of Agamotto one per turn.

4-star
    Venom can reduce their effectiveness (down to 1 at LVL 5), and his yellow will pack a wallop.
    Elektra's purple at LVL 5 can switch them to strikes for your team.
    Cloak and Dagger's Yellow can remove a good number of them, and she can true heal.
    Invisible Woman's Blue can lock them up and give you strikes
    Cage can remove them completely with his passive every time an enemy fires a power if you let him tank.
    Thor's yellow (!!!) can change them to charged tiles
    Sandman's Sand Smash will get rid of all of your protect tiles on the board, and whack somebody really hard.
    Medusa heals/gives you AP if you match them, depending on who owns them.
    XFW's board shake will likely remove a few, and his black will kill just about anything regardless of the protect tiles.
    Ant-Man can keep stealing them back for you.

3-star
    Loki turns them all to strikes
    Captain Marvel can destroy them
    Cap can overwrite them with his countdown tiles.

Some of these people get used WAY more than others...but there are a lot of options.  Some of these guys are even boosted, so they'll do more damage than normal.  XFW is featured, so he's super-boosted.