Updates to Fight for Wakanda (2/21/18)

Comments

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    While it sounds hard on paper I didn't have too much trouble with it.  If Nico wasn't champed probably would have been a lot harder.  Let Nico get hit to unlock her full power then start putting down some special tiles and it get's super easy.  I brought loaner storm, she wasn't my power house and it was pretty easy still.
    Thanks, I have Nico champed but must not have her set correctly.  What do you have her covers sat at for the above to work best?
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    broll said:
    That was one of the harder Essentials just to start the freakin' next round.  Nico, 3* Elektra and 2* Storm?  Did anyone even think about this?  If 2* Storm is your firepower, you're in big trouble.
    While it sounds hard on paper I didn't have too much trouble with it.  If Nico wasn't champed probably would have been a lot harder.  Let Nico get hit to unlock her full power then start putting down some special tiles and it get's super easy.  I brought loaner storm, she wasn't my power house and it was pretty easy still.
    I think the key is champed Nico....I’m still leveling mine and it’s slow as molasses to finish this node.

Yeah, my Nico is still stuck at three covers, so I relied on the loaner...and it took some miracle luck and Elektra's black to allow her red to finally win with ~60 hit points left.  Awful node and I'm glad I'm not trying for placement this event...
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, they adjusted the event, and didn't do anything about the tiles that I found the most annoying as a 2* player. The exploding ones were nasty, but workable at 2* damage levels. (Not trying to make light of what the 5* players encountered, but just giving some additional perspective).

Having ALL the tiles flip when any ONE counter expires is ludicrous, and means nodes are unwinnable for players that don't have specific abilities. (Destroy all protect, Loki's flip to Strike, etc). If you have those characters, the hazard is no big deal. But if you don't, it's unbearably frustrating. Also completely eliminates protect tiles from being usable.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Thanks, I have Nico champed but must not have her set correctly.  What do you have her covers sat at for the above to work best?
    More than any character in recent memory her build should depend on who she's fighting with.  I did 5/3/5, which is probably what I would do most of the time unless she was paired with someone doing a lot shields like 4* Cage or 5* Thor, even a Bullseye.

At 5/3/5 you're maximizing the length of her countdown tile for her true abilities, increasing the stun on the blue, and increasing the strength of the special tiles created by her purple.  Yellow only does protect tiles and self heals which won't speed up the match, in fact it would slow it down at best.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    broll said:
    At 5/3/5 you're maximizing the length of her countdown tile for her true abilities, increasing the stun on the blue, and increasing the strength of the special tiles created by her purple.  Yellow only does protect tiles and self heals which won't speed up the match, in fact it would slow it down at best.
    Thanks so much.  That was it!  I had her at 3/5/5 which had to be the worst possible combo for her.  Just switched to 5/3/3 and was able to go through it in about 20% of the time it took my first try.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Looks like they did adjust the Royal Shield tiles after all, just reducing the protection, to the point where the effects are negligible and can just be ignored. (They're like strength in singe-digits so far, in SCL3). Or maybe I played SCL4 last time, which is possible as well.

The event is certainly less frustrating than before, but it's also less interesting, because I played like the tiles weren't even there.

The modifications to the exploding hazards rate a bit higher for me, because I actively used them to destroy enemy tiles. So a new positive on that one.

• MrTrix
    MrTrix Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Okay, I'm at 3* level, and I just hate those exploding tiles. They make this game sooo not fun. So for now, I've just quit playing the event...
    Is there any 3* team good enough to get through this?

• Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    MrTrix said:
    Okay, I'm at 3* level, and I just hate those exploding tiles. They make this game sooo not fun. So for now, I've just quit playing the event...
    Is there any 3* team good enough to get through this?

These are all 3* for round 1 exploding tile:
    wolverine patch (self heal) with falcon (protect tiles) 
    black widow, kk, hulk (feed widows green and heal

for round 2, 3stars try starlord (cheap tile steal), Loki, doc ock. You might have to mix and match. But that is a good starting point
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    I was one of the people asking for the tiles in the first sub to be changed, and they did so can't complain there, but after the first sub  has ended I can't help but feel this sub is supposed to be a health pack drain and not much more. I suppose it goes to show you should always be careful what you wish for, with the team damage gone it is even harder to counter these tiles when nothing is done about the amount of tiles that drop in.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Played thru day 2 of this event for the second time now and there’s no doubt about it.......I HATE this event. There is absolutely nothing fun or redeeming about it whatsoever and I hope they never run it again. If this is the “innovation” coming for any new events, please don’t make any more.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Played thru day 2 of this event for the second time now and there’s no doubt about it.......I HATE this event. There is absolutely nothing fun or redeeming about it whatsoever and I hope they never run it again. If this is the “innovation” coming for any new events, please don’t make any more.
    It depends on what characters you have. I had no problems with either version, but I used Quake and then 5 Daredevil.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Medusa is a fun way to deal with tons of protects.  Just match them away and they're like charged tiles that only work for you.  You can ramp into tons of powerful abilities that way.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who's bright idea was it to not change the way those protect tile generating hazards work?

So protect tiles go down, Nico boosts them up because she's a required character...but then I can't remove the hazard tile and it flips them all to defend the enemy.

The loaner node took me 9 minutes to complete as I slowly tried to match the damn tiles away, plinking 1 damage per hit regardless of what I did.
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    While I appreciate that feedback was heeded and changes were made I have to say that these exploding tech tiles are extremely frustrating. The "neutral" aspect of the tile makes it virtually impossible to counter unless you match them away (cant use teen jeans purp, vultures blue, spidettes purp, heck not even 2* widows blue because they aren't "enemy tiles")
    And when they fall 2,3 sometimes 4 at a time it's impossible to keep up. Couple that with the fact that they go off on the enemy turn, giving them the cascade damage and ap to fire off all of the dark avengers cheap powers. I'm honestly left feeling like this aspect of hazard tiles is frustrating to the point of being broken. At least let us target these tinnykitty things and get rid of em somehow!!!

• justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Who's bright idea was it to not change the way those protect tile generating hazards work?

So protect tiles go down, Nico boosts them up because she's a required character...but then I can't remove the hazard tile and it flips them all to defend the enemy.

The loaner node took me 9 minutes to complete as I slowly tried to match the damn tiles away, plinking 1 damage per hit regardless of what I did.
    Yes, that loaner node was awful. Neutral tiles my ****. It took forever thanks to the protect tiles. I’ll have to remember to bring a nuke or aoe team-up, I guess...
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    This event is pure garbage. It is joining the Simulator as the only ones I drop down to scl7 for.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    The protect tiles are insane.  I'm just powering through with Medusa & C4rol.  Any team suggestions that work?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    What annoys me even more is that they get those ridiculous sentry's on their team too who smash away the majority of R&G's strike tiles before you can down them THEN they also get Loki's Trickery as a team up too!! This event was created only to annoy the player, hence why they chucked in Dark Avengers too. It is awful. The least fun I've had since The Hunt. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Asmodaeus said:
    While I appreciate that feedback was heeded and changes were made I have to say that these exploding tech tiles are extremely frustrating. The "neutral" aspect of the tile makes it virtually impossible to counter unless you match them away (cant use teen jeans purp, vultures blue, spidettes purp, heck not even 2* widows blue because they aren't "enemy tiles")
    And when they fall 2,3 sometimes 4 at a time it's impossible to keep up. Couple that with the fact that they go off on the enemy turn, giving them the cascade damage and ap to fire off all of the dark avengers cheap powers. I'm honestly left feeling like this aspect of hazard tiles is frustrating to the point of being broken. At least let us target these tinnykitty things and get rid of em somehow!!!

I actually like the idea of the tiles, and that they've tried something different, but yes - jump in one direction or the other. Either make them legitimately neutral, where the tiles can go off on either player's turn, might add AP/damage on either side, can flip shield tiles in either direction etc.; OR admit they're enemy tiles and therefore allow significantly more (and more interesting) ways to deal with them. It's this 'between two stools' approach that's particularly aggravating.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree that the loaner node in Day 2 took a long time because of the protect tiles. I was concentrating on using Elektra's red and maybe black to deal damage. 

I'm in 3* land and the characters I'm using are:

3*: Carol, Hulk, Patch, Hawkeye, Dr. Ock, Dr. Strange
    2*: Magneto
    1*: Black Widow

For essential nodes, I'm using any combination of 3*

For the rest of the nodes, I'm using Hawkeye and any combination of Patch/Dr. Ock/Dr. Strange. Match those special tiles to activate Hawkeye's passive and when enough protect tiles have been switched to the enemy's team, use Dr. Ock's Manipulation to deal damage. I can throw in Patch's Berserker Rage to add 6 more special tiles or Hawkeye's black for another 3. If those attack/strike/protect tiles get matched at the end of Dr. Ock's Manipulation, I gain aps, if not, I deal about 1000 damage per strike/attack/protect tiles destroyed. 

Another team I used today was: 3* Hawkeye, 2* Magneto and 1* Black Widow. Hawkeye tanks 4 out of 6 colours and colourless. Once you get enough blue ap, either through 3 match or using 2* Magneto's purple, the opposing team is perpetually stunned for the rest of the match. Why? Because of the crazy amount of special tiles on the board + 2* Magneto's Magnetic Flux(5 covers) that will see you gaining anywhere from 9 aps to 25aps,  plus a board shake that drops between 9 to 25 new tiles. I saw my ap filling up to 30 aps for most colours quickly. I end the match restoring Hawkeye to full health before knocking them out. This is not the fastest way to end the match but it was fun watching the opposing team becoming a sitting duck.