Man, these dupes are killing me!

heybub
heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
I'm getting down right depressed about all these dupes I'm pulling lately.  I mean, I work hard to save up CP to buy LT, and I pull a dupe, and it's worthless.  I've gotten like 12 4* dupes in the last 3 weeks.  It's heart wrenching, especially when I'm at like 5/1/1 and pull a dupe.  Especially when it's an old character like IW or Venom Classic.

So, about me, I'm a 4* player (~13 champs), and I have most if not all 4*s rostered.  I've been making good progress covering them and champing lately.  Maybe this is more of a problem with where I am in the game, but it's frustrating.  

From what I understand there is nothing to be done about this issue.  I've heard of people creating a second slot for the character, but I don't have enough hero points to roster everyone I would like to (need a number of 3*s still).

Any advice or consoling words?

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
     It is frustrating, to be sure. Especially when you start off with a really uneven build on a character. I had to sell off a lot of Professor X blue (he's still not fully covered yet, though I need just one more purple or yellow cover; I'll get another yellow when 3* Mags gets to 265) and Teen Jean blue (she's champed now).

Best advice I can give is to keep with it. It gives finishing those trouble characters a sense of accomplishment when it finally happens. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:

Best advice I can give is to keep with it. It gives finishing those trouble characters a sense of accomplishment when it finally happens. 
    Truth. When I finally managed to get the last blue for Peggy (she'd been at 5/5/0 for ages), it was so satisfying.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hoard.

Hoard your CP, LTs, and Taco Tokens. Just hoard for a while and work on the 4-stars you can level/champ. Let those annoying 5/1/1 characters develop a little organically from progression rewards and 3-star champ rewards. After you get a pile of Taco Tokens (100-200) keep an eye on those Taco vaults for 4-star covers you need and see if you can't get lucky. If you get a top tier 4-star to 12 covers, consider spending CP to buy that last 13 cover and be done with it - I did that a lot and don't regret it one bit. (In fact, I used CP to buy Peggy's 12th and 13th covers when I had her at 5/5/1.) If you have any spare HP, watch the Heroes for Hire sales for 13th covers as well - the game is crafty about putting ones in there you can use.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    I'm in almost the exact same roster boat as you, OP (11 4*, all on roster with at least 1 cover). I have now on the vine 3 blue Nightcrawlers (3/3/9)- a 4th expired last week, 2 red Rogues (3/7/1), and a green Sandman (6/4/2) at the 4* level. I have 2 unusable Sentries (1/5/5), and probably my 10th blue Bagman (3/?/2) just right now. Prior to this, my biggest offenders were blue Nick Fury and Purple Spider-Woman, neither of which are at champion yet (both 3/?/2). All you can do is sell them off and power through, or roster a duplicate. For me, since I'm still HP poor, I would only consider rostering a duplicate of a 5*. All my current crop of extra covers happen to be latest, so I figure if i keep trying, the one i need will show up at some point. 
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Other thing to keep in mind is keeping a bank of HP and an eye on the Heroes for Hire store as you may get an offer for the cover you need (typically happens when you have 12 covers and get a third cover in a colour you already have 5 in)

Edit: I just saw Dormammu said the same thing, sorry
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    Hoard.

Hoard your CP, LTs, and Taco Tokens. Just hoard for a while and work on the 4-stars you can level/champ. Let those annoying 5/1/1 characters develop a little organically from progression rewards and 3-star champ rewards. After you get a pile of Taco Tokens (100-200) keep an eye on those Taco vaults for 4-star covers you need and see if you can't get lucky. If you get a top tier 4-star to 12 covers, consider spending CP to buy that last 13 cover and be done with it - I did that a lot and don't regret it one bit. (In fact, I used CP to buy Peggy's 12th and 13th covers when I had her at 5/5/1.) If you have any spare HP, watch the Heroes for Hire sales for 13th covers as well - the game is crafty about putting ones in there you can use.
    Thanks for the advice.

I tried hording a ways back (before I had any 4* champs, I think). I got something like 200 Taco Tokens (both sweet and salty).  I hoarded other cards and CP as well. The thing I noticed though was I was missing out on a lot of new characters.  I didn't have the hp to make a roster spot for any of the new guys I got.  And I wasn't able to play certain nodes, because I didn't have the characters needed.  So I lost out on CP and higher scores in PVE.

Then I said, OK, and used up all my covers.  I got a ton of HP, and a lot of 2*s (which gave me iso/hp/cp as well).  Then I had some HP to buy some roster spots.  I also got lucky and hit on a Peggy (with the extra CP, I bought her final cover and champed her).

My point is, that I hoarded, so I didn't have so many dupes, but then I lost out on a lot of rewards.  Since then, I use up all my tokens right away, and focus HP on roster slots.  I built my 2*farm, and am slowly rostering the rest of the 3*'s (I have most of 4* and 5*s).

I guess maybe it evens out, as most of the dupes I get are from the extra CP.  If I hoard, I don't get dupes, but don't get that extra CP, which I could use to get more dupes.  In the end, I was able to focus on Peggy (taco pull and bought a cover for CP), so the hoarding method is better for that.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    You're at the point right now where that's just part of the game, we've all been there or will be there at some point.  I can't tell you how many 4* covers I've had to sell over time but I'm currently at every 4* available in tokens already champed (except Kraven who's fully covered and will be champed within the next week, just need ISO). I'm actually hoarding CP and my LTs right now until Shuri and BP are added to tokens just to give my chances of covering them quickly a bit of a boost.  When you're finally at the point where almost every 4* is champed, the game is an absolute blast, nothings wasted and everything feels like progress.  It's just a hell of a journey to get that far.