Vraska, Relic Seeker: Official Thread

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin

manablackpng Vraska, Relic Seeker managreenpng

(At Level 60)
+0 manawhitepng | +1 manabluepng | +3 manablackpng | +1 manaredpng | +3 managreenpng 
107 HP
Creatures: 8 | Supports: 5 | Spells: 6

Ability 1: Loot Is Good - Cost 9
Level 1 - Destroy a support with 2 or less shield. Find a Treasure.
Level 2 - Destroy a support with 3 or less shield. Find a Treasure.
Level 3 - Destroy a support your opponent controls. Find a Treasure.
Level 4 - Destroy the opponent's support with the highest shield. Find 2 Treasures.

Ability 2: Yarghhh!!! - Cost 17 
Level 1 - Create a 2/2 Black Pirate token with Menace.
Level 2 - Create 2 2/2 Black Pirate tokens with Menace.
Level 3 - Create 2 2/2 Black Pirate tokens with Menace, and a support with "Whenever a Pirate you control deals damage, it Explores 1."
Level 4 - Create 2 2/2 Black Pirate tokens with Menace, and a support with "Whenever a Pirate you control deals damage, it Explores 1 and finds a Treasure."

Ability 3: Gorgon's Gaze - Cost 24
Level 1 - Create a support with 3 shield and "At the start of every turn, your opponent's creatures get -1/-1 and he loses 2 life. This support loses 1 shield."
Level 2 - Create a support with 3 shield and "At the start of every turn, your opponent's creatures get -2/-2 and he loses 3 life. This support loses 1 shield."
Level 3 - Create a support with 4 shield and "At the start of every turn, your opponent's creatures get -2/-2 and he loses 3 life. This support loses 1 shield."
Level 4 - Create a support with 5 shield and "At the start of every turn, your opponent's creatures get -2/-2 and he loses 3 life. This support loses 1 shield."

Comments

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    It's slightly disappointing that she doesn't kill any creatures outright with a loyalty ability but its not like there's any shortage of removal in black. I do find her other abilities a little lacking though. I suppose the second will be a nice loyalty dump if you aren't playing many creatures in your deck but her ultimate seems useless. Assuming it survives the entire time without being used in a match-3 or more, it will kill 3 10/10s and deal 15 damage to the opponent over 5 turns; and that's in the most perfect scenario where Greg has 3 10/10s and you don't have the removal to kill them and he doesn't reinforce or buff any of them over those 5 turns. Cruel reality should have been the baseline for this ability and it shouldn't lose any shields.

Edit: Besides her abilities, I do like this part:

manablackpng Vraska, Relic Seeker managreenpng

(At Level 60)
    +0 manawhitepng | +1 manabluepng | +3 manablackpng | +1 manaredpng | +3 managreenpng 
    107 HP
    Creatures: 8 | Supports: 5 | Spells: 6
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, again with the losing of support shields and expensive abilities. I am sorry but you guys are not proving out to be the game balancing geniuses (Sorry). Overestimating the utility of your treasure and explore mechanics.

There is no use designing stuff if no one is gonna actually want to use it. (And by that I mean her 2nd and especially 3rd ability).
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will say this though

Health points, good.
    Mana gains, nice.
    Deck limitations/flexibility, nice.
  • Cfwraith
    Cfwraith Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
     "At the start of every turn," Your turn, opponents turn? Or is it really Every turn?
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Too bad she only covers 1/3 of the pirate colors. Granted, Black has some of the better pirates...
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too bad she only covers 1/3 of the pirate colors. Granted, Black has some of the better pirates...
    that just means changelings need to come to mtgpq ;)
  • Brigby
    Cfwraith said:
     "At the start of every turn," Your turn, opponents turn? Or is it really Every turn?
    I'm not a developer, but based on the wording, I would speculate that each turn does in fact cause your opponent's creatures to receive -2/-2; not just on your turn or their turn.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bravo, Oktagon. 

Really, really well done -- I can't stop playing her. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    i would guess arcane adaptation would help expand the amount of pirates available and make some really interesting combinations. will have to wait and see i guess
  • ElfNeedsFood
    morgue427 said:
    i would guess arcane adaptation would help expand the amount of pirates available and make some really interesting combinations. will have to wait and see i guess

Vraska can't use Arcane Adaption either.  There are some good black pirates, but there are some red ones that really help complete the tribe...  I'm still looking for that green pirate to round this out...
  • ElfNeedsFood
    Just as Huatli kind of needs "Can have any Dinosaur in her deck", I think Vraska needs "Can have any Pirate in her deck".
  • bk1234
    My biggest complaint about her so far is the grammar in her first ability:

"Destroy the opponent's support with the highest shield"

Perhaps

"The highest shield support your opponent controls is destroyed"

• bk1234
    And the art.

The art is sad. 
  • FindingHeart8
    bken1234 said:
    And the art.

The art is sad. 
    you don't like her art?

I keep imagining she just ate a Warheads
  • bk1234
    bken1234 said:
    And the art.

The art is sad. 
    you don't like her art?

It's blurry -- I keep reaching to my face to make sure I have my glasses on. Her paper card art is really pretty and crisp -- as are the other PW -- I'm not used to such license in this game and I don't love it. 
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby

Can you ask the team about her second ability? At level 3, the support it creates has 3 shields. At level 4, the support it creates has just 2 shields.

This seems off.
  • FindingHeart8
    bken1234 said:
    bken1234 said:
    And the art.

The art is sad. 
    you don't like her art?

It's blurry -- I keep reaching to my face to make sure I have my glasses on. Her paper card art is really pretty and crisp -- as are the other PW -- I'm not used to such license in this game and I don't love it. 
    It almost makes me wonder if Wizards supplied them with copies of the original art (usually much larger image with more detail) or if they had to download it as a google image ;)
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    octal9 said:
    @Brigby

Can you ask the team about her second ability? At level 3, the support it creates has 3 shields. At level 4, the support it creates has just 2 shields.

This seems off.
    Hi @Brigby - just looking for an update on this. Vraska's second ability at level 3 is slightly stronger than at level 4, even with level 4's treasure find. Due to the Explore and Vraska's nature as a green PW, the level 4 support gets blown up within a few turns pretty frequently.
  • Brigby
    @octal9 Good question! I'll pass that question along to the developers, and update this post, once I hear back from them.