2* farm vs. keeping 4*

randomhero1090
randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
Kinda stuck with what makes sense strategy wise right now.  I spent some cash on HPs for slots.  I have every 3* in the roster except 4.  I have the 4 on the vine (Hood, Mystque, Pyslocke and Elektra).  I have 12 champed 3* (including IM40, Thanos, Strange, Loki, KK, Pool).  So I have a very solid 3* team for PVP and PVE.

I sold 5x champed 2* that made room for 3* as well as re-rostering 2* Wolverine and 2* Storm.  2* Mags will be ready to put back up.

I have 6x 4* on the vine (Thor, Vulture, The Hulk TA, Wol X-Force, Spider-Gwen, Iceman).  Heard Vulture is one the absolute best 4* and I have 12 days yet to claim him.

Sure, I could just throw cash at HP and roster everything.  Not sure I really want to do that and at 900+ points per spot, it's getting a bit insane.  So what do I do?  Do I sacrifice some 4* singles to keep farming the 2*?  Do I halt the farming?  Are there 3* I just don't need?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Comments

• jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
       IMO, keep the two star farm going first.  As you probably know 4*s with only a few covers are not too helpful (unless they are essentials in DDQ or PVE)   Your 2* champ levels are going to do much more to further your game in the long run than any of the 4*s, at this time.  A strategy that I would use, when I was in your shoes, when I had just a few remaining 3*s is to see if you can keep the cover until the next DDQ essential then you can sell off the cover in your roster slot once you get the replacement in DDQ (and hopefully in the meantime you can get the HP to roster it before the 2nd cover expires).  From what I'm seeing you might be able to do that with the Hood when he comes up in 8 days. Here's the link for the projected line-up https://mpq.gamependium.com/ddq/ .   Of your list I would definitely keep Elektra only because she's more than likely going to be the 3* essential in the next PVE event.  After that event is over you can ditch her if you don't have roster space.   Also keep an eye on this https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70237/mpq-sneak-peek-february-2018-edition-updated-2-14-18/p1 because the next event may require one of the other 3*s you don't have rostered.  

As far as 4*s, if you can save Vulture,  you're more likely to still get his covers (he's still in 3X odds) and he's basically an AP generating machine, similar to IM40.  From what I've heard Iceman is good too but in my experience covers for him rarely, if ever, drop, so it might not be useful to have him on your team just yet.  The other 4*s you have are either just ok, at least from what I've heard, or are not going to come that frequently to you, so I would get rid of them for right now unless they happen to be used as the essential for a not so far off upcoming PVE event.
  • frederec
    frederec Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I'd agree that if you end up picking and choosing between those 4*s, Vulture should be a high priority.  I'll also say one of my great shames with this game is that at one point I sold a bunch of my max champed 2*s in order to fund my 4* leveling before some covers expired.  I told myself that as soon as I didn't have any fully champed 4*s with extra covers waiting on the vine, I'd go back and relevel my 2* farm.

About a year later, and down to 10 unchamped 4*s, I'm still looking forward to the day I can reactivate my 2* farm.
  • randomhero1090
    @jtsings @frederec

Thank you both.  Sounds like the 2* farm is the way to go.  I am SO far from 4* land it isn't even funny.  Almost any boosted/champed 3* is going to crush migh highest covered 4* (which is Nightcrawler at 5 covers).  I hate to see the 4* covers die off, but I really have no use for most of them.

I'll find a way to keep Vulture as IM40 is my favorite character by far.  He "powers" just about any team I put together.  Going to be hoarding CPs and LTs awhile.  I did a mini pull for a PVE and was able to connect on Nightcrawler.

The game designers are pretty genius in how they put this game together from a revenue standpoint.  My goodness!
  • frederec
    You may already be doing this, but I would strongly suggest hording your legendary tokens and CP as much as possible, at least until you have some breathing room to open up your roster.  Every time I sell a cover because I don't have time to champ the character I die a little inside.  I have this bad habit of getting impatient and wanting the "ooh, shiny" feeling of cracking open a bunch of fancy tokens, but end up regretting all I have to sell.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    From that list of available 4*s, the only one that might be immediately useful to you at a single cover is a black Vulture. If it's any other color, you're better off in my opinion building your roster from the bottom up and installing a farm. X-Force Wolverine has 2 3* feeders, so you'll be getting covers for him at a faster rate than many older classics when (if) you want him.

You'll be getting showered with 2* and 3* covers left and right, and once your 3*s get up into the 220s, every level is great. At that time, you won't really be having any trouble with acquiring 4* covers when you want them.

I would also recommend you prioritize getting as many taco tokens as you can every day. I've hit the 1000hp loads of times, and also the 250hps. You'll have enough slots eventually. A huge, unusable roster of low-covered 4*s isn't nearly as rewarding as it may seem before you have it.
  • randomhero1090
    @frederec Yeah, I had 8 LTs and like 100 CP.  I used some CP to finish off a couple 3* that I had dupes on the vine about to die.  I pulled the LTs and lucked out.  Hit a 5* gambit as well as covers for 4* I already had.  The recent wave of 4* is from Heroic tokens.  I got the 10 pack from the season plus several other tokens I ripped all at the same time.  Ended up with a bunch of 4*.  I'll be hoarding quite awhile now.  Always so tempting to open, but I must resist.

@ThaRoadWarrior Got the blue Vulture.  So we shall see.  But thanks for the info.  I'm getting at least 2 taco tokens each day, as I have literally all the 3*.  Some days I can even do the 4* one.  Do you save your tokens in bulk or just rip each day?
  • frederec
    There are valid theories both ways for hording taco tokens.  If you open them as you get them (as I do), you'll occasionally get 3*s, very rarely 4*s (but it does happen - I've gotten a few that way), and get a nice trickle of stuff.

Hording requires more patience, but it allows you to be more deliberate.  People will save them until they see a 4* that they really really want then blow their wad until they get that targeted one.  But if you're mostly getting 2 tokens a day, we're talking months of hording before you use them, especially since they switch between sweet and savory.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    2* farming will be a lot more useful in the end. There's only one downside to it, which is that 2* farming inflates your SCL. If you care about PvP placements, 2star farming could make it harder by locking you out of the lower SCLs before you are ready.
  • randomhero1090
    So 2* farming has paid off.  My roster is deep and the rewards consistently flow.  I’m coming to that point where I’m about to champ 4-6 different 2* cards :)   So it might be time to open some LTs and start working on some more 4*s.  

Missing essential 4* for PVE sucks, but I am still able to get max progression with 2 of 3 essential.  I was even able to play SC7 PVE for the first time and max out (Vulture PVE).