Civil War Boss Event is Back! (2/13/18)

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I don't want the reward structure to just be like every other PVE event. They definitely should give more the 8 rewards for beating the bosses, but I worry if they add iso and cp they will remove the 3 extra 4*s and the LT. I still enjoy boss fights for the smaller time requirement and the extra covers.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those of you who are in Team Cap this time (my alliance decided to go that route), Riri Williams is a LOT of fun once Iron Man gets his Drone Party out.  The drones jump to the front of the line, but Riri smacks everyone that's not in front.  Very, very helpful.  I teamed her with Wasp and Prof X, and it worked like a charm.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    chaos01 said:
    It seems like you get to play 5 nodes, on any side, in the 8 hour window.  I played 4 on IM, didnt' have Mr Fantastic so I played the Falcon node on Cap.  I've since then beat the IM boss node twice but it didn't unlock anything.  The boss node was unlocked by leveling by the alliance.

But now my alliance just unlocked level 4 on IM and nothing opened.

@Heartbreaksoup the gate nodes can only be played every 8 hours. You get only five gate nodes and they can be played on either side. The boss will reopen when you clear a level. But, the gate nodes stay locked. This is how it was 2 years ago when it first ran. 
    That certainly makes some sense.  Thank you!

However, I'm stumped by what's happening currently.  I played Round 4 as Team Cap against Iron Boss five times in the noon-8pm EST slice.  The first four times, I played the Team Cap nodes.  Unfortunately, I do not have Kate Bishop and so I can't play that fifth node.

So I switched over to the Team Iron Man side.  Four of the five nodes are locked.  The only one available is the Gwenpool node... and I don't have her, either.  I have the other four characters.  Why are their nodes locked?  Why can't I play any of those?
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    chaos01 said:
    It seems like you get to play 5 nodes, on any side, in the 8 hour window.  I played 4 on IM, didnt' have Mr Fantastic so I played the Falcon node on Cap.  I've since then beat the IM boss node twice but it didn't unlock anything.  The boss node was unlocked by leveling by the alliance.

But now my alliance just unlocked level 4 on IM and nothing opened.

@Heartbreaksoup the gate nodes can only be played every 8 hours. You get only five gate nodes and they can be played on either side. The boss will reopen when you clear a level. But, the gate nodes stay locked. This is how it was 2 years ago when it first ran. 
    That certainly makes some sense.  Thank you!

However, I'm stumped by what's happening currently.  I played Round 4 as Team Cap against Iron Boss five times in the noon-8pm EST slice.  The first four times, I played the Team Cap nodes.  Unfortunately, I do not have Kate Bishop and so I can't play that fifth node.

So I switched over to the Team Iron Man side.  Four of the five nodes are locked.  The only one available is the Gwenpool node... and I don't have her, either.  I have the other four characters.  Why are their nodes locked?  Why can't I play any of those?
    If you play node 1 on left side, it locks node 1 on right side as well. Same for all 5. It just give you the extra option, if you dont have the required on the one side, but got it on the other.
    not sure if it is both from left to right, or mirrored..
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Well, that's about as annoying as can be!  Thank you for the explanation, though.  I appreciate it!
  • Smart80
    Well, that's about as annoying as can be!  Thank you for the explanation, though.  I appreciate it!
    you’re welcome

Its a war, you gotta pick a side... ;-)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't get much rewards from this PvE. I'll see it as a channel to have more time for myself.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    @Brigby

Couple of things that it would be good if you could pass back to the devs if Boss events are going to be part of the regular PVE cycle (which I'm broadly in favour of)

1. Essential mission scaling - was better ramp up this event than any I can recall however with 1 day 10 hours yet to go in the event the nodes have now scaled way past everything except the final clear on an SCL 9 5* essential node.  That's really something that need fixing - why the essential mission scaling isn't pegged to the round you are fighting still baffles me - especially post SCL scaling - just seems obvious but if its hard then another solution like fixed scaling per refresh is needed - this is ok for the odd boss event for a 5* launch (just about) but as a regular thing it undoes a lot of the good work done on PVE scaling.

2. The final refresh - all boss events end with a shortened refresh - in the UK that is a refresh that starts at 1am and therefore finishes at 5am.  Again for from ideal normally but if these are going to be regular events as part of the schedule locking out the UK and Western Europe from an entire refresh is pretty rubbish

Thank you in advance 
  • Smart80
    alphabeta said:
    @Brigby

Couple of things that it would be good if you could pass back to the devs if Boss events are going to be part of the regular PVE cycle (which I'm broadly in favour of)

1. Essential mission scaling - was better ramp up this event than any I can recall however with 1 day 10 hours yet to go in the event the nodes have now scaled way past everything except the final clear on an SCL 9 5* essential node.  That's really something that need fixing - why the essential mission scaling isn't pegged to the round you are fighting still baffles me - especially post SCL scaling - just seems obvious but if its hard then another solution like fixed scaling per refresh is needed - this is ok for the odd boss event for a 5* launch (just about) but as a regular thing it undoes a lot of the good work done on PVE scaling.

2. The final refresh - all boss events end with a shortened refresh - in the UK that is a refresh that starts at 1am and therefore finishes at 5am.  Again for from ideal normally but if these are going to be regular events as part of the schedule locking out the UK and Western Europe from an entire refresh is pretty rubbish

Thank you in advance 
    and are expected to bring a 2* into a double wave...
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Smart80 said:
    alphabeta said:
    @Brigby

Thank you in advance 
    At least most of the 2*s can be swapped for a different starred version even if they do default to the utterly stupid option of 5k hp 2* Storm having to take on 300k worth of active character hp.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    In the future, running Iron Man side first - with Ares required - is highly recommended, to help with scaling later. Hopefully you finish before day 2 and can use the 3+’s on Cap’s side later.  Or please, devs - take a look at this insane scaling.  
  • sinburn
    sinburn Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Horrible.  Simply horrible.  My entire Alliance hates it.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Apparently I'm in a minority but I'm loving this event-- it's the first time it's been run since I've been playing this game.  It's challenging but not so difficult that it's not doable.  I've found myself having to think and strategize more than usual.  It's nice to fight characters other than the Dark Avengers and not have to mindlessly grind each node 4+ times.  Also given that my alliance is poised to hit max prog on both sides we will all net a total of 8 4* covers and 4 LTs each-- possibly the most rewards I've ever gotten from a single 3 day event.  Also it's keeping us busy for the entire duration (as opposed to finishing on the 3nd day and being bored for the last two like normal).  I hope we get more like it.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    It makes you wonder how much they plan these events. Wave nodes, with Ares as required, against 300+ scaling, is utter madness.  
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    It just makes no sense at all. All wave nodes, that have a required character, should at a minimum be a 4*. They know how high the scaling will go, they know a 2* will be useless against it. 
  • Smart80
    Crowl said:
    Smart80 said:
    alphabeta said:
    @Brigby

Thank you in advance 
    At least most of the 2*s can be swapped for a different starred version even if they do default to the utterly stupid option of 5k hp 2* Storm having to take on 300k worth of active character hp.
    Unless its the real 2* essential. They could at least keep that one away from the wave nodes...

Anyhow, we killed both sides, with 2 refreshes left... just a couple need few hits for personal progression. Go squids!! :-)
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Apparently I'm in a minority but I'm loving this event-- it's the first time it's been run since I've been playing this game.  It's challenging but not so difficult that it's not doable.  I've found myself having to think and strategize more than usual.  It's nice to fight characters other than the Dark Avengers and not have to mindlessly grind each node 4+ times.  Also given that my alliance is poised to hit max prog on both sides we will all net a total of 8 4* covers and 4 LTs each-- possibly the most rewards I've ever gotten from a single 3 day event.  Also it's keeping us busy for the entire duration (as opposed to finishing on the 3nd day and being bored for the last two like normal).  I hope we get more like it.

For what it's worth, I really like it too. Boss/Alliance events are always a break from the grind, but recent ones have been so easy for developed rosters that there was no challenge whatsoever and my alliance was usually finished with 2+ days left in the event. Because Civil War basically ends up running like two alliance events in one the points have meant something, and with two refreshes left it looks like we'll clear both sides (but we're not quite there yet).

I totally agree that they need to address the node difficulty, but through whatever quirk of scaling I've so far found them hard, but doable. Even when forced to drag someone like Ares along, the strength of a boosted 4*Carol or even Gwenpool has been enough. There are bits that need fixing, but there are also elements that they need to bring along for other alliance events to make them worthwhile.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Frigging side nodes -- you're being murdered for peanuts!  They need to scale the difficulty down or give us more than what they're throwing at us for side rewards.