Huatli, Warrior Poet: Official Thread

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited March 2018 in Planeswalker Details

manaredpng Huatli, Warrior Poet manawhitepng

(At Level 60)
+4 manawhitepng | -1 manabluepng | -1 manablackpng | +4 manaredpng | +2 managreenpng 
118 HP
Creatures: 9 | Supports: 5 | Spells: 5

Ability 1: Sun Empire's Blessing - Cost 9
Level 1 - Gain life equal to the lowest power among creatures you control.
Level 2 - Gain life equal to the highest power among creatures you control.
Level 3 - Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn. Gains life equal to the highest power among creatures you control.
Level 4 - Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn. Gains life equal to the highest power among creatures you control.

Ability 2: Call Dinosaur - Cost 17 
Level 1 - Create a 3/3 Dinosaur token with Trample.
Level 2 - Create two 3/3 Dinosaur token with Trample.
Level 3 - Create two 3/3 Dinosaur token with Trample. Create a support with 1 shield and "Dinosaurs you control gain Berserker"
Level 4 - Create a 4/4 Sun-Blessed Mount token with Trample and "Whenever a Dinosaur token enters the battlefield under your control, reinforce Sun-Blessed Mount". Create a support with 1 shield and "Dinosaurs you control gain Berserker"

Ability 3: Sun Empire's Rage - Cost 22
Level 1 - Deals 1 damage to your creatures, then deals 3 damage to your opponent's creatures.
Level 2 - Deals 1 damage to your creatures, then deals 4 damage to your opponent's creatures.
Level 3 - Deals 1 damage to your creatures, then deals 4 damage to your opponent's creatures. They lose Defender.
Level 4 - Deals 1 damage to your creatures, then deals 4 damage to your opponent's creatures. They lose Vigilance, Reach, and Defender.

Comments

• Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    so, how is the single 4/4 better than the two 3/3's?
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I’m not sure if I prefer one 4/4 Sun Blessed Mount token or two 3/3 generic Dinosaur tokens that are Actually a 6/6?  Also, do the 3/3 tokens stack with other 3/3 dino tokens?
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Aside from the issue of two 3/3s being better than a 4/4, does it not seem weird to have one ability that gives all your dinos berserker and another ability that takes away reach/defender/vigilance from their guys?

I mean....if all your dinos have berserker, how does it help to remove defender/reach/vigilance? Your dinos are still gonna smash into them anyways. I guess I can imagine some edge cases where it would help (mostly involving flying) but still...the two abilities do the exact opposite of synergizing with each other. Seems like it would be better design to have the the 3rd ability remove first strike/double strike/flying/regenerate from their guys.

Though honestly it would still be pretty lackluster for a 22-loyalty ability.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited February 2018
    *Updated "Call Dinosaur" with further details.

@Thuran @ElfNeedsFood @Stormcrow
  • ElfNeedsFood
    Ok. Nice! I assume it counts itself and is an 8/8 upon casting @Brigby
  • Bullvinne
    Bullvinne Posts: 77 Match Maker
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the update! Call Dinosaur is much better now lol. I almost felt cheated.

It would be nice if that berserker support could have a method of adding additional sheilds. Like every time a Dinosaur enters the battlefield, add one shield

I do feel that Sun Empire's rage should do 6 damaage to enemy creatures... 4 damage is just meh
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    It have one shield is _potentially_ a feature.
    You can try and match it while saving up for the third for those that don't want the conflict, or you can protect it and just keep using the 1st and 2nd.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    (Many of the other supports having 1 shield is a huge problem, this one, not so much.)
  • Bullvinne
    I can see that... There could definitely be times you do not want Berserker on your dinos so being able to kill it with a single match is a great option. Thanks!
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Stormcrow said:
    Aside from the issue of two 3/3s being better than a 4/4, does it not seem weird to have one ability that gives all your dinos berserker and another ability that takes away reach/defender/vigilance from their guys?

I mean....if all your dinos have berserker, how does it help to remove defender/reach/vigilance? Your dinos are still gonna smash into them anyways. I guess I can imagine some edge cases where it would help (mostly involving flying) but still...the two abilities do the exact opposite of synergizing with each other. Seems like it would be better design to have the the 3rd ability remove first strike/double strike/flying/regenerate from their guys.

Though honestly it would still be pretty lackluster for a 22-loyalty ability.
    This is why I came here. Her second and third are just so lackluster. It doesn't matter that her 4/4 gets reinforced by dinosaur tokens when there is a whopping 3 cards in the game that can make them. 2 of those cards are a one off effect (unless you get really creative with the hatchling) and the other is on a 23 mana 5/5 with activate 1....that is green.

All of her abilities are overcosted as well. AJ2's 1st gains 9 life for 6 loyalty and requires no creatures. I suppose hers is fine at 9 loyalty since one big fatty can gain you a ton of life but its useless with no creatures.
    Her second should cost 12. She isn't green so she doesn't make tons of loyalty off all the big gem converters and the token could potentially suicide the first turn it is able to attack.
    Her third is just so out of place. It is supposed to trigger enrage effects on your dinosaurs but the problem is, there are only THREE dinosaurs in the game with enrage that Huatli can play and none worth triggering when you are only doing it at a cost of 22 loyalty. Not to mention what Stormcrow said about anti-synergy.

Here is my version of Huatli:
    Ability 1: Sun Empire's Blessing - Cost 9
    Level 4 - Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn and take 1 damage. Gain life equal to the highest power among creatures you control.

This way you can trigger your enrage creatures and they don't actually take any damage thanks to the end of turn buff of the same amount. Hardly any change here but it makes an "enraged matters" dino deck somewhat viable. Mainly a deck with Bellowing Aegisaur and Raptor Hatchling since those are the only two even remotely worth using.

Ability 2: Call Dinosaur - Cost 15
    Level 4 - Create a 4/4 Sun-Blessed Mount token with Trample and "Whenever a Dinosaur token enters the battlefield under your control, reinforce Sun-Blessed Mount".

Straight up cost reduction and getting rid of the support.

Ability 3: Sun Empire's Rage - Cost 21
    Level 4 - Deal 8 damage to your opponent's creatures. They lose Vigilance, Reach, and Defender.

Remove the self damage since it was moved to ability 1, increase damage to opponents creatures. 8 damage is by no means too much considering the cards that exist with similar effects. All of these hit your opponents creatures only: 6 to all for 14 mana from Chandra's ignition, 12 to all and opponent for 15 mana from Hour of Devastation, 6 to all and opponent for 8 mana and discard 2 from Nahiri's Wrath. At 21 loyalty, I think 8 damage is a very fair amount.
  • Bullvinne
    Oh yea...I didnt notice it was Dinosaur Tokens that reinforced the mount...that makes it slightly worse...

It should be when any Dinosaur enters...I mean Dinos are expensive creatures so they wont be dropping every turn, or as you posted @zw2007 its cost should be reduced.

Her third ability does need a damage buff to the oponnents creatures.

@Brigby, Any chance some of this could be looked at or is it all set in stone?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Given that there are I think only 4 cards that generate dino tokens, I find Huatli very underwhelming.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Glad I checked this post. I was considering getting her, but now I think I am justified in waiting for Vrask to be available instead. Much more worth the money, IMHO.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    Man. They needed to merge the two Hualti’s into a Tri-color Dino Champion. I know that flies in the face of recent conventions...
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    I have to say the ultimate is terribly underwhelming. Even Liliana v1's 2nd ability is miles better. I hope they'll realize their mistake and fix that.

I mean, admittedly the self-damage could work with Enrage and such, but again, Liliana's 2nd ability may deal siginificantly more damage even if unreliable.

Otherwise, her othe two abilities are fine. The second one, if correct, means that you get an 8/8 as ability, so that's good.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I've played her through several TG now and I have to say, I'm more disappointed than I have ever been with a PW. 

I understand her in theory, she's supposed to lead the dinosaur tribe, work well with Enrage, etc. However, she wasn't thought out well. 

First Enrage is a mechanic that applies to 6 cards in the game. Three are green. The other 3 are awful. 

Her abilities are skewed and maybe bugged. The first doesn't seem to work the way it should. the second is remarkably overcosted (it rivals first abilities on other PW) AND it's ridiculous -- how many times do we have to have the conversation on these forums about defense mechanics. Vigilance, trample, berserk, and defender are not abilities most of the time. They are liabilities. I don't want to PAY loyalty for a liability that is basically going to wipe all of my creatures off the board. At least Koth's second buffs the creatures before it sends them to the slaughter. 

The other thing they didn't consider is as the third R/W PW, she's having to stand up to 2 who came before her. Aj1 has amazing control abilities with well balanced cost and almost completely across the board mana gains. Nahiri also have abilities and mana gains that make her the go-to PW for aggro --- both of these PW have synergy between their mana and abilities and offer an advantage in competitive play. 

I call on Oktagon to buff her before she is released for crystals. This was a lose all the way around. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    I know it’s unconventional but maybe add “can have any dinosaur in her deck” as an extra non-activated ability?
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know it’s unconventional but maybe add “can have any dinosaur in her deck” as an extra non-activated ability?
    Oh! Like adding the green ones?

Ironically the green Enrage dinos are not bad, she might have worked well for RIX G/W Huatli. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    bken1234 said:
    Oh! Like adding the green ones?

Ironically the green Enrage dinos are not bad, she might have worked well for RIX G/W Huatli. 
    Yeah. In paper, nothing prevents you from having green dinos in a R/W Hualti deck. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    yeah, I gonna pass on this one.   She's basically a worse Nissa2 that's red/white