Civil War Boss Event is Back! (2/13/18)

Comments

• gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    How does this work again?  I was still new (and with no alliance) when I encountered this event so I didn't know how to.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    If Boss Events are going to be added to normal rotation, you need to work out a way where we aren't locked into clearing every 8 hours. As someone from the UK, I have to find time to do a clear between 1am and 9am. On a work day, this is incredibly hard to do. 

I hope this means the event gets extended to four Days so the end comes at noon EST instead of midnight EST. That last Little four hour refresh happens to fall between 2AM and 6AM in my timezone, so I usually end up sleeping through it.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    How does this work again?  I was still new (and with no alliance) when I encountered this event so I didn't know how to.

Basically there are two concurrent events, one for Team Cap and one for Team Iron man. Playing a node on one side locks it on the other side too, so the tricky bit is making sure you get enough Points on both sides. Other than that it is like any other boss battle.

My old casual alliance used to focus on the side with the best rewards first, and when people got locked out because the boss was too high level for them to defeat they switched to the other side and started working on that boss instead. Towards the end, we were able to clear round 7 on both sides, but there were a few strong players at that Point putting in a lot of work.

• gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks quebbster
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    If Boss Events are going to be added to normal rotation, you need to work out a way where we aren't locked into clearing every 8 hours. As someone from the UK, I have to find time to do a clear between 1am and 9am. On a work day, this is incredibly hard to do. 

I hope this means the event gets extended to four Days so the end comes at noon EST instead of midnight EST. That last Little four hour refresh happens to fall between 2AM and 6AM in my timezone, so I usually end up sleeping through it.
    This whole 8 hour thing has to change if this is to become a regular thing. I make exceptions for the Boss Events up to now, because they ran so rarely. If Boss Events start becoming a weekly thing, its totally unfair on anyone that happens to be outside of the US time zone. I'm certainly not going to be late to work on a morning just to get a clear in on a silly mobile game. 
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

This whole 8 hour thing has to change if this is to become a regular thing. I make exceptions for the Boss Events up to now, because they ran so rarely. If Boss Events start becoming a weekly thing, its totally unfair on anyone that happens to be outside of the US time zone. I'm certainly not going to be late to work on a morning just to get a clear in on a silly mobile game. 

I agree it needs to change to fit the normal PVE schedule. Maybe they can incorporate Time Slices and instead of locking us out, we can just keep hitting the boss

• Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Okay, so they give us something that basically gives us what I would consider better rewards as a veteran player, yet you all are going to attack them for it!?!? I mean it is going to be  a break from the dredge of the PVE grind, it will allow players who are not as comfortable at PVP to focus on that. It will allow players who complain about not having covers to further advance their roster, and the fact that this event basically gives free 4LT's as no other boss event does that, seems like an okay trade off for the complaints that have come in about Iso and timing as all boss events have the same clear time, and always have. So basically if it happened once a month people are still going to complain. The fact as well as it's this particular boss event which requires more effort on the alliance as a whole, but heaven forbid as the other boss events don't require as much grind, but they give players something they ask for then the other faction of players complain, because they think they deserve free stuff. This is a good thing as it allows for a break, and the timing may be set in US times zones, but seems like most players all over the glob seem to still make it work for them.
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    i really like the attempt to mix things up in the story mode, it's a good effort and boss events are a fun break from the usual pve grind.

that being said, i support previous comments here regarding updating the iso rewards to fit normal pve standards, as well as maybe altering the 8 hour schedule - though i don't have any good ideas for that.... maybe 'stacking' refreshes, i.e. allowing three hits in a row on nodes and those three refresh one per 8 hours? alternatively, have 5 sets of 3 nodes, and each refreshes every 8...?

in any case, a step in the right direction - i approve.

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster said:

I agree it needs to change to fit the normal PVE schedule. Maybe they can incorporate Time Slices and instead of locking us out, we can just keep hitting the boss

I think the least they could do, is make end time same as start time, so everyone at least has same play time over all days.. now if your best time to play, is the 10 hours before boss events start, you miss out on at least 1 refresh...

like now, for central Europe, the final refresh is at 02:00 and its ends around 06:00? There is no normal way to cover that if needed, so thats gotta be made equal for all.. maybe no new nodes, but at least make them remain available for couple more hours, so europe can play last refresh as well...
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor

As a few stated, great to see more boss events, variety is good, but please adjust the ISO rewards to put them on a par with doing regular PVE.  With no sub or end event rewards during Boss events the daily ISO drop is noticeable.

ISO Wise:

6x clears in PVE gets a bit more ISO than doing all node clears for a Boss

Prog ISO is about similar between PVE prog and Boss prog

Sub result ISO is non-existent for a Boss so at least 3k and easily more depending on CL and T100 placement for a regular PVE

End result ISO is non-existent for a Boss, similarly at least 3k+ easily with T100

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Is this event similar to Galactus where you have 3 essential characters and 2 other required random characters node?

Also, are those characters in the powered up list required characters?
  • TheDobot
    TheDobot Posts: 61 Match Maker
    It's hard to get an alliance to all play together at the same time unless you are in a super alliance that has impossible standards.  

I was was hoping alliances were on there way out and due for a major change or rework, instead now we are getting more events where most people will be shorted on rewards.

Also, as every one has said, the iso shortage from boss events is serious.  This is a major major issue that once again encourages me to hoard packs.  
  • TheDobot
    TheDobot Posts: 61 Match Maker
    How about instead of rerunning old events to add more variety you guys MAKE NEW events.  
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Philly484 said:
    Okay, so they give us something that basically gives us what I would consider better rewards as a veteran player, yet you all are going to attack them for it!?!? I mean it is going to be  a break from the dredge of the PVE grind, it will allow players who are not as comfortable at PVP to focus on that. It will allow players who complain about not having covers to further advance their roster, and the fact that this event basically gives free 4LT's as no other boss event does that, seems like an okay trade off for the complaints that have come in about Iso and timing as all boss events have the same clear time, and always have. So basically if it happened once a month people are still going to complain. The fact as well as it's this particular boss event which requires more effort on the alliance as a whole, but heaven forbid as the other boss events don't require as much grind, but they give players something they ask for then the other faction of players complain, because they think they deserve free stuff. This is a good thing as it allows for a break, and the timing may be set in US times zones, but seems like most players all over the glob seem to still make it work for them.
    They make it work because boss events were rare, doing it every week would become a problem. I'm presuming you dont have an issue with the time zones, so its not a problem for you. Me having to do a clear, which would normally take at least half an hour, between the hours of 1am and 9am, is and has always been a huge inconvenience. That is why, in normal PVE's, I dont select a time slice that will require me to do any playing during those times. 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Hey all, new player and new to the forum.  Having a lot of fun.  Probably spent more then I should, but have almost every 3* rostered with 4 of the 6 I don't on the vine :smile:   Have a solid IM40, Thanos and KK so looking forward to this.

So with this event, the nodes will be essential I assume.  Do we know which characters will be needed?  Will it be the 6 total featured + IM + Cap?

Sucks as I didn't have room for Kate a couple weeks back.  Don't have Gwenpool either.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    They make it work because boss events were rare, doing it every week would become a problem. I'm presuming you dont have an issue with the time zones, so its not a problem for you. Me having to do a clear, which would normally take at least half an hour, between the hours of 1am and 9am, is and has always been a huge inconvenience. That is why, in normal PVE's, I don't select a time slice that will require me to do any playing during those times. 
    Well they didn't say weekly they said would be added into normal rotation, so that would be about 1 or 3x a month, not every week.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Is this event similar to Galactus where you have 3 essential characters and 2 other required random characters node?

Also, are those characters in the powered up list required characters?
    If I recall past runs correctly, the main featured characters will be essentials and the other two nodes each refresh will be pulled from the boosted list for the event.  ("Weekly").  So you may be playing one refresh and miss a node if you haven't rostered someone (ex:  I was missing Winter Soldier for one run and couldn't play some nodes).  The nice part is that the boosted list is pretty long and includes any version of a number of characters, so many rosters might have a 2 or 3* at minimum so they can play a node.

In case there's a question, Boss events have their own boosted list (even though they are listed as "Weekly" here) and the weekly boost list shown in the Preview thread will apply to PVP events that run at the same time.  I assume the term "Weekly" is used because it is something internal to the game that tells it which characters to boost for which event.  This also suggests that different "Weekly" boost lists could be used for different PVEs during a week if the developers had a mind to do that, by just changing it from one to the next.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks bluewolf. I looked at the list and I'm missing a lot - about 5 of them.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Remember that with Civil War, if you miss the essential on Cap side, you might still be able to unlock Cap if you do have the essential for IM side node.. or vice versa..
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you make this part of the regular rotation, you need to update the CP rewards to match a regular PVE.