Ixalan Card Gallery (2/12/18) *Updated

Comments

• ILikePancakes
    ILikePancakes Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    wereotter said:
    wereotter said:
    Or I could just play Boomship 
    Until that gets nerfed too
    Any vehicle from Kaladesh or Aether Revolt is better.  I would use Sky Skiff before this.
    Again. Until they also get changed. They said point blank that old cards are going to be rebalanced. We ought to accept that this set is the flavor of how all old cards will change. 
    Meh. Not looking forward to everything being balanced. They only need to rework cycling and some individual cards.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather not spend half an hour per match because cards suddenly cost 40 mana or "huge" creatures are knocked down to 4/4. I do play this game on breaks at work. 
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    wereotter said:
    wereotter said:
    Or I could just play Boomship 
    Until that gets nerfed too
    Any vehicle from Kaladesh or Aether Revolt is better.  I would use Sky Skiff before this.
    Again. Until they also get changed. They said point blank that old cards are going to be rebalanced. We ought to accept that this set is the flavor of how all old cards will change. 
    Meh. Not looking forward to everything being balanced. They only need to rework cycling and some individual cards.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather not spend half an hour per match because cards suddenly cost 40 mana or "huge" creatures are knocked down to 4/4. I do play this game on breaks at work. 
    Same here, if games against a normal PW will run 30 minutes + then i'm out, i just dont have that kind of time...

That aside I really dont believe they will enact the "wereotter doomsday device" ;) since it will mean that will have to review -every- card in the game to change the meta in such a way. They don't'have the time and money for that. And doing that won't'earn them as much money as getting the next set out there.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    I get it now. I couldn't quite put my finger on it before. It feels like they released a set full of only common and uncommon cards; it's so lackluster.
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Well @Brigby I guess I can say thank you for saving me hundreds of dollars?

Yes I realize that's a bit facetious, however sadly it's also true.
    I usually do spend that and more on the new sets, however this time I don't think there is a single card I'm even remotely excited about.

Oktagon really missed the mark on this one. Heck they didn't even make it on the board. Which is really too bad. They did such a great job with the booster crafting, I really had high hopes .

All I can say is I will wait for rivals in the hopes it not only makes the set worthwhile for its cards but also it's mechanics. 
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    The more I digest it, the more I'm pleased.  I've started getting some fun deck concepts in mind.

I find it a little odd that there are still no added illusions for Jace 3 to synergize with.  There's only 2 in the whole game with Illusion subtype (Amonkhet's Labyrinth Guardian and Origin's Nyx Barrier). 
  • Gotcha617
    Gotcha617 Posts: 88 Match Maker
    edited February 2018
    James13 said:
    The more I digest it, the more I'm pleased.  I've started getting some fun deck concepts in mind.

I find it a little odd that there are still no added illusions for Jace 3 to synergize with.  There's only 2 in the whole game with Illusion subtype (Amonkhet's Labyrinth Guardian and Origin's Nyx Barrier). 
    Congrats your the first person to have an opinion proven FALSE
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    James13 said:

There are literally zero Illusion creatures in Ixalan. I can't be bothered to check the Rivals card list, but I'm assuming it's a similar situation. Oktagon didn't omit them or anything like that. They just didn't have any to work with.

Jace's Illusion focus is something that will just have to wait for future sets with more Illusions.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Maybe they could change his ability so that when he uses it he flips over and now he’s wearing a shirt. That’s just as useless.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Gotcha617 said:
    ?  I don't even know what you're trying to say?  You've looked into my mind and can prove that my opinion isn't what I stated?
  • Gotcha617
    Gotcha617 Posts: 88 Match Maker
    James13 said:
    Gotcha617 said:
    ?  I don't even know what you're trying to say?  You've looked into my mind and can prove that my opinion isn't what I stated?
    Correct...this set is trash
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Gideon said:
    Maybe they could change his ability so that when he uses it he flips over and now he’s wearing a shirt. That’s just as useless.
    You guys DO realise he spits out two different types of illusions himself, right?
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I still wanna open packs, try the new events and play training...update where are you :'(
  • Matthew
    edited February 2018
    Thuran said:
    Gideon said:
    You guys DO realise he spits out two different types of illusions himself, right?
    Of course we do, but that's not the point. The point is that his affinity for Illusions shouldn't rely solely on Illusions he himself creates. It's awkward to have to use his ability to create the very creatures that benefit from it.

That being said, if his second ability does end up working the way the blog posts indicates it will, it's not as problematic. Just annoying. It would be much better to have Illusions you can cast and put on the field while also working towards that ability.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    @Thuran How many games do you play where you activate an ability more than once? The games will take longer but how many activations do you need to make it viable?
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Matthew said:
    Thuran said:
    Gideon said:
    Of course we do, but that's not the point. The point is that his affinity for Illusions shouldn't rely solely on Illusions he himself creates. It's awkward to have to use his ability to create the very creatures that benefit from it.
    Waiting for the next "Cast 5 or more Illusion creatures" sub-challenge.

Gideon said:
    @Thuran How many games do you play where you activate an ability more than once? They games will take longer but how many activations do AI need to make it viable?

With the average cost of an Ixalan card being a bit under 13, probably quite a bit. They solved this problem alright.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    @Matthew at least he can spit out his affiliates. Arlinn didn't get such benefit... 
  • Matthew
    Szamsziel said:
    @Matthew at least he can spit out his affiliates. Arlinn didn't get such benefit... 
    Arlinn does have that ability, you just have to transform her first with her ultimate. Which again goes back to the point I made about clunkiness. It's annoying to have to rely on one ability in order to fully benefit from a second one.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Wait... wait...

Curse of Predation loses a shield each time it reinforces? That's not right. That card is supposed to be an "ah ****" card that just keeps making things bigger. It has no limit to how big it can make creatures. Literally remove that line from the card in PQ and it'd do what it's designed to do.

I love how, in order to rectify the creature limit with Ixalan's vampires, you went with reinforcing creatures. Except, that entire approach doesn't work because it's far too simple to just wipe those reinforced creatures with a simple destroy spell ;where in paper, you can't wipe out 12 1/1 tokens with just any destroy spell (there are some, but not many). In addition to going down the reinforcement line, you then make a Masterpiece that directly punishes someone for reinforcing a creature. Yay for Electrolyze.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I disagree with that. I appreciate sorin abilities which complement each other. Also liliana3 abilities are complementary. Thing is either abilities should work together or cover area of usage (bolas: kill, draw, retrieve from gw)