Ixalan Card Gallery (2/12/18) *Updated

Comments

• rathedon
    rathedon Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    I know a lot is not liking the mana cost on these cards (maybe someone mentioned this...) but maybe there will not cost that much or feel like they cost that much because of TREASURES. Doesn't treasures add more mana gaining in the set?? If so, we should be able to plays a lot of these cards.

Or am I way off??
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Just to reiterate: most sets look bad at first glance and we'll have to play them to actually see what they'll be like. Especially with so much knowledge (like the other half of the transform cards) missing and considering that quite a lot of cards have a different text when you put your cursor over them.

What worries me the most is not the high costs or the sometimes weird mechanics but the messiness of it all. I was all for Oktagon focusing on getting a new set done but if just the previews and presentation is so full of mistakes and oddness, what does that tell us? Did we ask for new stuff too much? Were we too impatient and now this is all rushed?

Judging by Booster Crafting, this started as an incredible mess but was solved pretty quickly. But that's much harder to do with a set full of cards.

Bottom line: I'm still excited for the actual release but I won't be surprised if we see some odd bugs or other screwups. If that is the way to get to the eventual good stuff, so be it.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    I fail to see those power cards out there... here is the exhaustive list of cards that WILL see (Some) play:
    - Carnage Tyrant (substitute for Gaea's Revenge)
    - Emergent Growth (cheap pseudo removal)
    - Fiery Cannonade (interacts with enraging dinos so you will need it in events to trigger them)
    - Heartless Pilage (shocked at how cheap this is, are we sure it's not 16?)
    - Hostage Taker (SOME people might play it, I find it overcosted but decent if you don't have better cards)
    - Ixalan's Binding (Very powerful with Starfield)
    - Kopala (some people will try to make a denial merfolk deck)
    - Legion's Judgment (cheap white removal)
    - Queen's Commission (in some token deck -hey, lifelink!)
    - River's Rebuke (unique effect for blue, VERY good)
    - Settle the Wreckage (Starfield combo...)
    - Sorcerous Spyglass (more hate card but sure... unique effect)
    - Star of Extinction (worth trying to break)
    - Sunbird's Invocation (until people realize it's bad)
    - Vraska's Contempt (really good exile in black, trumps Hour of Glory imho)
    - Wakening Sun's Avatar (single sided sweeper anyone?)
    - Verdant Sun's Avatar (just to break Horsie) - triggers off tokens

Waiting for the double sided cards... might be pleasantly surprised.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Just to emphasize my previous point:
    Legion's Landing card states "At the beginning of your turn, create 2 1/1 vampire with lifelink."
    The hover text states "When this support enters the battlefield, create 1 1/1 vampire with lifelink."

Its transform condition is also different.

What the hell does this mean? This is a signifcant difference, making one of the best cards in the set much worse! Clarification, @Brigby, please!
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    First impression is not a favorable one. I think cards are overpriced. More cards that will never see play in any deck I create as they serve no purprose but filler. I fear  this is going to cause even veteran players to say Meh..... I will wait for final judgement when I start playing the cards and see how they work.... ... not holding my breath though...
  • Gotcha617
    Gotcha617 Posts: 88 Match Maker
    edited February 2018
    On a positive note...I won’t have to vastly rearrange my decks
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    darkness. sadness. darkness. sadness. darkness.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    For faster games you have origin, amo and hod.

I will buy some packs and try but if treasue don't work. I just collect through rewards and crafying. I don't see any mysticmo would buy as an exclusive but I think this setsis not finished yet. They will publish more cards in a month and the rest ini2 month i think. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    darkness. sadness. darkness. sadness. darkness.
    And that's only the nicknames for the first 5 cards I think... 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    IM_CARLOS said:
    ... but I think this setsis not finished yet. They will publish more cards in a month and the rest ini2 month i think. 
    This is an interesting point. They've done this sort of thing before.

@Brigby Can you shed any light on whether or not this is the complete list of cards we can expect from this set, or are there others that are being held to a later release date? To further clarify, I'm not talking about Rivals of Ixalan. I'm talking about the cards from Ixalan itself that don't appear on the list we have now.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Matthew said:
    IM_CARLOS said:
    ... but I think this setsis not finished yet. They will publish more cards in a month and the rest ini2 month i think. 
    This is an interesting point. They've done this sort of thing before.

@Brigby Can you shed any light on whether or not this is the complete list of cards we can expect from this set, or are there others that are being held to a later release date? To further clarify, I'm not talking about Rivals of Ixalan. I'm talking about the cards from Ixalan itself that don't appear on the list we have now.
    Oh I really hope this isn't true.... It was such a pain to have rare and mythic rare cards added into packs considering that they were already hard to get ahold of to begin with. Adding more commons and uncommons, though, is fine since it gives you reasons to keep opening packs and doesn't make them feel even more unobtainable.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited February 2018
    *Added transformed versions of Transforming Supports to announcement post
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is awesome @Brigby -- thanks for the additional content. 
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Here’s an idea.  Before you all release this set, have all your developers create an account and play this game for a few days.  
    The common and uncommon creatures in Amonkhet and HoD are pretty well designed.  The common and uncommon creatures in this set are terrible.

This isn’t just MTG with higher mana costs.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    The more I look at it, the more deck concepts I'm getting.

Back to moderately excited.

There's some new unique effects that I'm interested to play with.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. I just spoke with the development team, and it would appear that this is how Treasures behave:

"Whenever you match this support’s gem, a random card in your hand gains 3 mana. Whenever an opponent matches this support gem, a random card in your hand gains 2 mana and a random card in your opponent’s hand gains 2 mana."

Treasures seem to be quite the Mana ramp tool, which should help offset the high Mana costs that some of these cards have.
  • Gilesclone
    That’s fine for the cards that actually give you treasure.  But a 4/6 vigilant ship for 31?  That’s just unplayable.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    That’s fine for the cards that actually give you treasure.  But a 4/6 vigilant ship for 31?  That’s just unplayable.
    You don't hard cast the ship, you cast Veteran Motorist, Gearshift Ace, Speedway Fanatic, and/or Aeronaut Admiral to give the boat the crew mana boosts plus extra abilities. I feel like that's how the game was originally intended, but vehicles were so cheap that no one ever bothered with the crew costs. That boat is going to get 4 mana for every other creature you cast, so it theoretically can be cast for free.
  • Gilesclone
    Or I could just play Boomship