Good Ixalan cards

13»

Comments

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    And remember that there was (some time ago) a bug when destroying more than 1 support at once froze the board. Good old times... 
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:
    You're thinking of Armageddon.

It destroys all "non-support gems", I believe, so there is a slight distinction.
    Thanks for clearing that up. So... looks like everything takes a hit. Interesting. 
    I wonder how many games are going to freeze from the graphic of every gem and most creatures dying all at once.
    I don't think all the gems being destroyed at once will be much of an issue. Quarry Beetle can already "destroy" every gem (besides supports and otherwise effected gems) by converting them all to green.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZW2007- said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:

It destroys all "non-support gems", I believe, so there is a slight distinction.
    Thanks for clearing that up. So... looks like everything takes a hit. Interesting. 
    I wonder how many games are going to freeze from the graphic of every gem and most creatures dying all at once.
    I don't think all the gems being destroyed at once will be much of an issue. Quarry Beetle can already "destroy" every gem (besides supports and otherwise effected gems) by converting them all to green.
    that's fair I guess.  Just never faced a match with Quarry Beetle converting more than a handful of gems lol
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Only good card I've seen is Wily Goblin (Red): 2 mana for a 1/1 that finds a treasure on enter battlefield.
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Willy Goblin ftw

River's Rebuke ft annoyance.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Destroy gems - I assume that you don't get mana from it
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    oof. River’s Rebuke does indeed appear to be the card to use from this set. :(
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    I'm excited for a lot of cards! Gishath is the clear frontrunner, just begging to be broken!

Also, vraska's contempt, blood fast, brontodon, dowsing dagger, growing rites, overflowing insight, ferocidon vs sorin, rebuke, settle the wreckage, compass, verdant sun, wakening sun as kmmiediate good cards
  • ZW2007-
    Thuran said:
    I'm excited for a lot of cards! Gishath is the clear frontrunner, just begging to be broken!

Also, vraska's contempt, blood fast, brontodon, dowsing dagger, growing rites, overflowing insight, ferocidon vs sorin, rebuke, settle the wreckage, compass, verdant sun, wakening sun as kmmiediate good cards
    No sarcasm, how do you intend to break Gishath? I'm really not seeing it and it makes me sad because he's the biggest bomb in paper.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    There is an 11 mana spell that puts him directly into play, with haste, and his beserk causes him to eat their creature, whilst trample means you get one creature fully charged up. That creature could easily be wakening sun, to wipe the board.

Also works with deploy, and reason to believe, or god pharaohs gift, loyal retainers if you feel silly, bring to light, sure there are more ways to cheat it in for a fraction of the cost ;)
  • ZW2007-
    Thuran said:
    There is an 11 mana spell that puts him directly into play, with haste, and his beserk causes him to eat their creature, whilst trample means you get one creature fully charged up. That creature could easily be wakening sun, to wipe the board.

Also works with deploy, and reason to believe, or god pharaohs gift, loyal retainers if you feel silly, bring to light, sure there are more ways to cheat it in for a fraction of the cost ;)
    Dubious challenge can backfire often enough for me to not want to use it as a reasonable way to get him into play. There are also a few cards in standard that could eat him; and most even survive. MWK, AoI, HoK, GR. Not to mention dubious challenge might not hit him since you wouldn't run him without other dinos. I don't really want to look at legacy cards that could play him because there are more powerful options than him in legacy if we are trying to cheat out large creatures. R//B suffers the same uncertainty as Dubious Challenge. I do like the GPG idea though since he is guaranteed to die rather quickly most of the time. Still, I'm not impressed with his end result. He has a lot of potential if they wanted to tweak him but I don't see that happening. Mono-Waking Sun's Avatar with Dubious Challenge and Reason to Believe would actually be much better than playing Gishath imo; and that one can be cast quite reasonably without needing to cheat it out.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Thuran said:

Gishath is an overcosted graveyard bound waste of a slot.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:

We have a card that does that already.  Have you ever played a graveyard build with Quarry Beetle? Because if you've got a fair amount of creatures in your graveyard [I use GtP a lot] beetle blows up the entire board, often destroying supports or depleting their shields in the process. I've not seen  any hiccups graphic wise or any threads dedicated to beetle freezing the game, so it should be just fine. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Gunmix25 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:

We have a card that does that already.  Have you ever played a graveyard build with Quarry Beetle? Because if you've got a fair amount of creatures in your graveyard [I use GtP a lot] beetle blows up the entire board, often destroying supports or depleting their shields in the process. I've not seen  any hiccups graphic wise or any threads dedicated to beetle freezing the game, so it should be just fine. 
    this was pointed out already, and I already replied to it.  Recap though: I have not faced many Quarry Beetles in matches (I think maybe a handful of times ever, and there was not a large graveyard at the time so it almost did nothing).

It's good to know though that it won't cause a problem, that's one issue we don't have to worry about at least :)
  • FindingHeart8
    Thuran said:

unless future card "balancing" actually makes all of the old legacy cards not work lol.  But hey, you'll at least have the time between sets to use it ;)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:

this was pointed out already, and I already replied to it.  Recap though: I have not faced many Quarry Beetles in matches (I think maybe a handful of times ever, and there was not a large graveyard at the time so it almost did nothing).

It's good to know though that it won't cause a problem, that's one issue we don't have to worry about at least :)
    Ah, apologies my friend. I had missed that earlier reference. Too many threads trying to keep up with. All is good *knuckle bump*
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Gunmix25 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:

…Unless the board has lots of servos, which causes slowdown already, especially when any of them break (I have level 60 Saheeli and Kiran, but not Boomship). In that case, if it breaks all the servos, there's a chance the game could freeze, and it'll definitely lag.
  • Gunmix25
    DBJones said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:

…Unless the board has lots of servos, which causes slowdown already, especially when any of them break (I have level 60 Saheeli and Kiran, but not Boomship). In that case, if it breaks all the servos, there's a chance the game could freeze, and it'll definitely lag.
    I am happy to say that it doesn't freeze up. I have a build that I've been using for weeks with Beetle. I have faced huge energy boards and servos. Yes, the board does start to lag, but once Beetle fires it speeds up and resumes normal play. I believe it has to do with beetle destrpying everything at once as opposed to individually. If beetle destroyed gems one by one by one as the board continues to change... I also believe the board would freeze. Luckily for us beetle doesn't work like that
  • FindingHeart8
    Gunmix25 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:

Ah, apologies my friend. I had missed that earlier reference. Too many threads trying to keep up with. All is good *knuckle bump*
    no worries, lots going on right now with impending Ixalan.  Everyone is jumping into the fray :)