Good Ixalan cards

Comments

• Drewster
    Drewster Posts: 116 Tile Toppler

Iconic Masters elite cards are a great decision! I can't wait to see the Rivals set come out with Masters 25 cards!
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thuran said:
    Gonti doesn't remove an enemy creature, hostage taker at least affects the board :)
    Right. Which is why slightly more. Though considering you still have to cast the stolen creature, it would seem that Kefnet’s Last Word is better in a vacuum. We’ll have to see
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    True. Just worth noting is that gonti card stolen: is not limited to creature and can be stolen with mana gathered on that card. And as ai usually order high cost spells as last card, it's usually worth it. It also reveal you what to expect before it's played.

Question is if hostage taker will work on tokens (destroying them) or like lurkweed fizzle.
    I probably will play both gonti and taker.
    And if only unesh is black.... My Liliana would be happy girl.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see the hostage taker as removal primarily, stealing the creature is a 2ndary bonus if you feel like casting it, that part is optional. More options are good and this card adds to them.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also take Hostage Taker as removal essentially and thus a little expensive at that for a mythic level card.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kinesia said:
    I see the hostage taker as removal primarily, stealing the creature is a 2ndary bonus if you feel like casting it, that part is optional. More options are good and this card adds to them.
    Stil cheaper than Angel of Sanctions which still sees a fair amount of play
  • khurram
    Gunmix25 said:
    Kinesia said:
    Different colors. Removal is scarce for white in standard. Not to mention Angel of Sanctions comes back to take out another creature. Annoying for the opponent to discard and resilient to removal. The opponent has to use two spells to take it out usually. And dont get me started on the shenanigans you can get up to with it in Ajani 2.
    7/8 flyer versus a 4/5 vanilla after the initial etb. There isn't that much of a comparison.

In black removal is cheap so it isn't adding much there. In blue it will see play but there are other cards to compete with it for a deck slot.
  • khurram
    But I remember the days of lashweed lurker so hostage taker is definitely going to be annoying to face.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    I wonder how Hostage Taker will work when stealing a reinforced creature? I assume you get one copy in hand, but I wonder whose graveyard the extra copies will go to.
  • Kardynal
    Kardynal Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    DBJones said:
    I wonder how Hostage Taker will work when stealing a reinforced creature? I assume you get one copy in hand, but I wonder whose graveyard the extra copies will go to.
    One would assume the owner's graveyard, rather than the new controller's; in paper MTG, a card may never be placed in a graveyard except it's owner's.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Well, hostage taker works in kiora, dovin, n3 so that helps them :)
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Kardynal said:
    DBJones said:
    One would assume the owner's graveyard, rather than the new controller's; in paper MTG, a card may never be placed in a graveyard except it's owner's.
    True, but Lay Claim and the other permanent steal cards in this game don't follow that rule. Creatures stolen in this way to go the stealer's graveyard should they die. Unesh and the other cards that put your opponent's card in your hand I'm not sure about.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    It’s not like paper where the cards might not make it back to the owner post theft. 
  • Gunmix25
    khurram said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Kinesia said:
    Different colors. Removal is scarce for white in standard. Not to mention Angel of Sanctions comes back to take out another creature. Annoying for the opponent to discard and resilient to removal. The opponent has to use two spells to take it out usually. And dont get me started on the shenanigans you can get up to with it in Ajani 2.
    7/8 flyer versus a 4/5 vanilla after the initial etb. There isn't that much of a comparison.

In black removal is cheap so it isn't adding much there. In blue it will see play but there are other cards to compete with it for a deck slot.
    True but being able to either play or discard said stolen card is huge imho. Having a choice to decide its fate is what you also pay for. Sure you could just use removal. But that's  all it is. When casting this card you might as well look at it like removal and draw from opponent's hand kind of thing. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I'm interested in how "destroy all the gems" works out too...
  • Gunmix25
    I'm interested in how "destroy all the gems" works out too...
    I believe there is a MP card that does that too. If so, all basic gems are destroyed.  Energized,  investigate, embalm, eternalize, Fabricate, Activate, and supprts are all unaffected. Downside is that they all lump to the bottom of the battle field
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    You're thinking of Armageddon.

It destroys all "non-support gems", I believe, so there is a slight distinction.
  • khurram
    Yeah. Star of extinction would destroy all gems and it will bump down the supports for at least one shield.
  • Gunmix25
    Matthew said:

It destroys all "non-support gems", I believe, so there is a slight distinction.
    Thanks for clearing that up. So... looks like everything takes a hit. Interesting. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gunmix25 said:
    Matthew said:

Thanks for clearing that up. So... looks like everything takes a hit. Interesting. 
    I wonder how many games are going to freeze from the graphic of every gem and most creatures dying all at once.