Good Ixalan cards

Thuran
Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
With the recent vibe on the forums being so negative regarding Ixalan, one could very easily be led to believe that every card in the set sucks.

So, to also inject some positivity into all thus grumbling, here is an invitation to highlight cards you think are great, and excited to play with!

I'll start off with some easy ones: 

Lannary storm looks really sweet, and fairly priced at 9 mana. Depending on the ease of treasure generation, this could easily become a very powerful attacker. Remember that kari zev is also a pirate, so that might make her better.

Mavren fein, for 9 mana he can generate silly amounts of power each turn. It remains to be seen how he works with non reinforced creatures, but coupled with something like call of the feast, it seems like he could easily snowball out of control.

Raptor hatchling: a 3/3 for 5 is just solid, and with a little tinkering, this little guy can get silly funny. Saving grace on this little fellow seems like a powerful trick for bronze and silver.

Hostage taker: 13 mana for a 4/5 pirate that exiles?! That is just crazy good value. Yes the opponent draws cards when it dies, but do you truly care if they draw cards? And if their hand is already full, they get nothing at all. Oh and you "draw" a creature card of YOUR CHOICE (within limits) when she enters?! Sign me up!

And being a pirate is not irrelevant at all ;)

Could mention more, but want to hear your choices!

Forget about regisaur alpha, every set had horrible mythics in there, let's have fun with the good cards! :D

Tagged:

Comments

• Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    I'd say we've only seen not even 1/3 of the cards so lets reserve the usual complaining and negativity until we get the whole set. Obviously not talking about you OP. Thanks for the positive post.

Edit* My 100th comment :'). 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bet they're holding back the good stuff.  Presenting us with the par to mediocre cards so those cards get some attention (that they would never seen the light of day otherwise) and so it'll be a more positive experience when the set comes around.

Maybe also judging how we react for some last minute tweaks (like making the cards a bit lower cost lol).
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Good attitude, good post. Appreciate the positivity.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deeproot Champion will go well with any Kiora Loop deck. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just looking over them all again, with all the dinos who want to take damage, I almost feel like at least some of them should have regenerate 1. <shrug>
  • Thuran
    Or one that gives +1+1 to them when it takes damage, something like that. But regenerate might be overpowered?
  • wereotter
    Thuran said:
    Or one that gives +1+1 to them when it takes damage, something like that. But regenerate might be overpowered?
    It might be, I'm just more thinking that enrage works in paper magic since damage falls off at the end of turn, so it makes sense to ping your own creatures to trigger it. Here damage never goes away, so the dinos almost need a method of recovering toughness, which is why I only suggested letting them regenerate 1 toughness. Maybe there will be a spell included to restore toughness, though, and counterbalance that mechanic.
  • Drewster
    Drewster Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    One of my favorite new cards is Tilonalli's Skinshifter.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder how well the AI will know to ping their own creatures ;)
  • wereotter
    I wonder how well the AI will know to ping their own creatures ;)
    'member Skywhaler's Shot? ;)
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Drewster said:
    One of my favorite new cards is Tilonalli's Skinshifter.

That is actually the creature I'm most excited about. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I like the Hostage Taker, Skinshifter, and Tishana too. I wonder if her built in ability counts as a buff?
  • Kardynal
    Kardynal Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Hostage Taker is good, but let's not get over excited. It's not as good as Harbinger of the Tides. You have to pay for the enemy creature if you want to play it, and you'll need a creature slot to play it into that isn't one of the creatures already in your deck, and that creature most likely won't have any synergy with your deck at all.

But, if eventual card balance wants to reposition a card like Hostage Taker as anything from a solid playable to a top tier card, I'm on board for that.

Hostage Taker will be good for the AI Greg, who likes to play creatures over spells, so get ready to see a few more of your creatures dying than you're used to.
  • Kardynal
    I'd say we've only seen not even 1/3 of the cards so lets reserve the usual complaining and negativity until we get the whole set. 
    I think it's fair to pour scorn on Lookout's Dispersal right now.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Best card I've seen so far is Carnage Tyrant. It's a giant Untouchable. I love cards like that (GR, anybody?).

I would like to say that Magus of the Moon is the best card, but as it is a Masterpiece, I am most likely never going to own it, and thus it may as well not exist for me.
  • wereotter
    Kardynal said:
    Hostage Taker is good, but let's not get over excited. It's not as good as Harbinger of the Tides. You have to pay for the enemy creature if you want to play it, and you'll need a creature slot to play it into that isn't one of the creatures already in your deck, and that creature most likely won't have any synergy with your deck at all.

But, if eventual card balance wants to reposition a card like Hostage Taker as anything from a solid playable to a top tier card, I'm on board for that.

Hostage Taker will be good for the AI Greg, who likes to play creatures over spells, so get ready to see a few more of your creatures dying than you're used to.
    I look at Hostage Taker like this.... How often do you actually play Gonti? Hostage Taker will probably only be slightly more than that.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Kardynal said:
    I'd say we've only seen not even 1/3 of the cards so lets reserve the usual complaining and negativity until we get the whole set. 
    I think it's fair to pour scorn on Lookout's Dispersal right now.
    Hahaha. I'm not saying some of those cards aren't duds. Although the new blog post sheds some light on the high cost cards. Some people were already complaining about the whole set after only seeing a handful of cards. 
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I do play gonti ;) on Liliana 3 it shines.
  • Kardynal
    wereotter said:
    Kardynal said:

I look at Hostage Taker like this.... How often do you actually play Gonti? Hostage Taker will probably only be slightly more than that.
    Unesh is pretty solid, of course, but it's his power to cost ratio that makes him so, his card stealing ability is just something fun to play around with.
  • Thuran
    Gonti doesn't remove an enemy creature, hostage taker at least affects the board :)