Who to let go?

kunduno
kunduno Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
Hi there, need some tips. Although i had downloaded the game few years back but i had just got back into the game due to the inability to link the account from my ipad to my mobile. 

after looking at the forum it seems that i had quite a messed up roster as i spent the coins as i got them go get 'nice looking' covers instead of champing them. 

Could anyone advise me on which of the following heros should i forgo and focus on?

Currently on my waiting list 

4* Loki (13days)
3* Gamora (10days)
3* Quicksilver x2 (9days)
3* Spiderman x3 (7days)
5* Gambit (6days)
3* Mystique (6days)
3* Gambit (6days)
3* Colossus x2 (5days)
3* Sam Wilson Falcon (5days)
4* Hulk (1 day)

here are my roster

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/kunduno88/

Thanks for the guidance!!!!

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Falcon, Spider-Man, Loki, and maybe Quicksilver (in that order) are the best of those. You shouldn't worry too much about losing covers. With where your roster is at, if slots are that tight, you're going to end up selling a lot. You should be focusing on max-champing a core set of 2-stars and don't keep any others, while you work on expanding and covering your 3-star roster.

1 cover 4-stars and 5-stars are not helping you and are in fact hindering you at this phase. Consider some willpower in opening Legendary tokens and hoard LTs and CPs until you have several 3-star champs. The 4-stars won't hurt your matchmaking in PvP, but the 5-stars might.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018

Yeah, I 2nd the Dread Dormammu.  Although everyone has different playing styles, goals, whatever; I think that you'd best be served going incrementally up the chain.  Do the 2* until you get bored with them, then up to 3*.  You're going to rage quit if you're a f2p player and you try and tackle the 4* without doing 3's first.  The sheer number of characters in that tier will litter your roster with 1 or 2 covered characters.  In your position, roster slots and HP are at a premium.  If you horde CP and tokens (remember event tokens can be saved for the next time the event pops up, you never lose them) then one day when you have enough ISO and slots, you can unleash the horde and fully cover 4's and possibly 5's. 

Unless you plan on playing strictly PVE, don't level your 4's way past your 3* until you are ready to jump into that tier.  If you plan on playing PVP, having 5's rostered will raise your enemy pool to the point where you can't really compete. 

If you have any other questions, send me a PM, or post again.  There are plenty of helpful ppl on this forum. 

Just remember the great Alton Brown and apply his saying to your horde "your patience will be rewarded". 

Oh and to answer your question, I agree with the Dread Dormammu, but I would add Mystique and Gamora to the save list.  They're not great, but having them developed can help if you do Lightning Rounds. 

• kunduno
    Thanks Dormammu & Waddles_Pines

yeap. cleared a few covers and placed loki and spidey in. Just got 2 covers of 3* Steve rogers in from the previous event. might clear a slot for him too. 

Anyway I have also hoarded tokens while i created the post and have about 100+ basic/elite/heroic and DDQ tokens to open. it is best to clear my waitlist and also build on more iso and slots before i start open the presents right?
  • Waddles_Pines

It all depends on what your playing style is, which modes you concentrate on (pve or pvp), and your overall tolerance to the fickleness of RNG.  I would leave the heroic/DDQ tokens alone.  The basic will give you 1,2, and on a rare occasion 3, sometimes 4*.  Elite gives you 2 and 3*.  It's easier to feel a sense of growth and accomplishment in the beginning if you stick with 2 and then graduate to 3.  Reason behind that is a numbers game.  The 2* tier has less characters than 3*.  Without a solid 3* foundation, the 4 stars will make you feel like you're wading in mud as you get random covers from a growing list (it's the pokemon effect, gotta catch them all). 

3* is essential for that tier, so's IM40, Kamala Khan, DP, Switch, and a few others that are escaping me at the moment.

2* - Black Widow, and my fave DDQ team, Hawkeye/Mags/Storm...  they definitely can punch above their weight class based on their synergy.  (just a tip, switch your mags to 5 purple... that feeds hawkeye's speedshot and storm's blue AOE stun)

It all comes down to your perception of progress and waste.  Yeah, no one likes seeing covers die on the vine, but in addition to being a Match-3 game, this game is all about resource management. 

If you choose to stay 2/3* for a while, it lowers your variety, but also lowers your time commitment.  Although you'll get to the point where ISO seems to be free flowing, once you get to the 4* tier, then ISO needs are much higher. 

• kunduno
    Waddles_Pines hey, thanks for the advice. was focus more on pvp to get in at least top 10 to get the rewards and also progression. PVE will only focus more when i am able to get rewards through ranking with selected 3*s. Sold a few 4* away will recruit in a few more 3* on waiting list in coming days. 

was opening my basic token to try get more 2* copies.I am thinking on either 5 blue or purple for magento but i like the blue more as he is able to clear all tiles especially those annoying strength/protect/attack tiles. with 3 purple i am still able to do up 5 blue matches most of the time for now.
  • Waddles_Pines

The whole thing about Mags purple is it can set up Hawkeye's Speedshot (through match 5s) and that combined with 5 in Storms blue makes matches pretty short once it gets rolling. 

Mags blue at 5 just costs too much and the countdown takes too long and is unfortified.  Also, if you're using Mags blue and your team creates beneficial tiles, it wipes them out too...

In the 2* tier, Cap America (3* is much better if you can get him covered) also overwrites enemy tiles with all of his colors.  With red and blue you also get some AP back (and a protect tile with blue) if you can keep the countdown alive until 0. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I waited forever to plant a 2* farm, and I really wish I had done it sooner/never sold off my 2*s. The champion rewards you get from turning over that farm will accelerate your roster building so much faster than skipping out of 2* play. If you're planning to start farming, make sure that you have all the 3*s that will grow from it on roster. 

It may also be worth noting that 2* Bullseye->3* Bullseye -> Kingpin -> Daredevil is the only linear growth tree to 5* right now, for what that's worth. Probably not something to get hyper exited about given how long it takes to max-champ a 3* and 4*, but even so.
  • Waddles_Pines

RoadWarrior - great point.  I've been doing the farm for a while and totally forgot it as a highlight for someone just starting out.  To me it's just become 2nd nature.  So, are you Hawk, Animal, or Mad Max ;)

Kunduno - the one thing they don't tell you, is that it's easy to progress in the beginning.  PVP's are easier for placement in lower SCL, then you hit the wall and then placement becomes harder and harder.  Especially in PVP you don't want your roster to be super top heavy.  No one know for sure how MMR works, but the general consensus is that it's the avg of your top 5 players.  Basically you want the characters you like/use a lot to be within a few levels of each other (especially in the early stages of playing MPQ), otherwise your MMR might start to pit you against opponents that only your highest leveled characters can compete against. 

• kunduno
    ThaRoadWarriorWaddles_Pines Thanks for the tips! Didn't get much free 2*s from pvp recently. Have sold 3 firestorm 2* cover before i decided to farm and recruited 2 3* firestorm. regretting it now. thanks for the bullseye tips seems interesting and gotta try it out. trying to clear up my waitlist now as it is left with 3* iron fist and colssus. Might just see if there is event that needs it and sell them off and open all the stored tokens i have after i opened another 2/3 slots
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you can you should try and save Iron Fist as he is in top 5 of 3* tier.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    kunduno said:
    ThaRoadWarriorWaddles_Pines Thanks for the tips! Didn't get much free 2*s from pvp recently. Have sold 3 firestorm 2* cover before i decided to farm and recruited 2 3* firestorm. regretting it now. thanks for the bullseye tips seems interesting and gotta try it out. trying to clear up my waitlist now as it is left with 3* iron fist and colssus. Might just see if there is event that needs it and sell them off and open all the stored tokens i have after i opened another 2/3 slots

Firestorm is a DC character, he is not in Marvel Puzzle Quest. :) Are you perhaps refering to Human torch?

(My first guess was Angel since his 3* looks a bit like Firestorm, but he doesn't have a 2* version...)

• DAZ0273
    Quebbster said:
    kunduno said:

Firestorm is a DC character, he is not in Marvel Puzzle Quest. :) Are you perhaps refering to Human torch?

(My first guess was Angel since his 3* looks a bit like Firestorm, but he doesn't have a 2* version...)

To be fair both of them have their head on fire.
  • kunduno
    DAZ0273 haha..pardon me. it is human torch..it is hard to get his 2* cover compared to the other 2*. till now i only had 1 iron fist cover.
  • DAZ0273
    kunduno said:
    DAZ0273 haha..pardon me. it is human torch..it is hard to get his 2* cover compared to the other 2*. till now i only had 1 iron fist cover.
    Yeah, you can get streaks like that at all levels. I really needed one more Ms Marvel cover a little while ago to flip my champ and I was up to my ears in Bullseye and Moonstone. Now of course, it is Ms Marvel bonanza time at present now I'm not in paticular urgent need.