Help me (enigma777) figure out who to keep!

Options
marvel_dayz
marvel_dayz Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
Hi! I have a pile of covers and just bought another slot.This is what I have, 3* Captain Marvel (Yellow), Daredevil (Purple), Angel (Green), Luke Cage (Yellow), Loki (Green), Dr Doom (Black), Colossus (2 Red). 2* Hawkeye (Blue, 2 Red, Purple).

My strongest active characters are 2* Human Torch, Magneto, Thor and Captain Marvel.

I noticed that for the Deadpool's Daily, if I complete the first 3 stages, I get one Taco Vault cover and an Elite cover. Wondering if I should just add back a 1* so that I can play the 1st Deadpool level to build up covers (7 of each a week adds up). From what I have read, I think Luke Cage and Dr. Doom are possibly my more useful covers? I am considering Colossus since there are 2 red covers, a power I would actually use. I do not see using him long term though since I don't find his black useful.

Thanks for helping me get more fun out of this!

Comments

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Options
    At this stage of the game you are probably better off rostering Hawkeye. You will need to have all of the 2 stars and they will be more useful than a 1 cover 3 star. And yes, you need one 1 star for ddq.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2* Hawkeye seems the way to go. You'll get a stun, an AOE and also free countdown damage from match 5's which Magneto can create for him

Colossus red is hugely underwhelming.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

2* Hawkeye pairs very well with both 2* Magneto and 2* Captain Marvel as they can both help set up match-5's to get Hawkeye's Purple passive (easily his best Power) going.

Colossus is unfortunately not a great character, so you probably don't want to roster him just yet. Luke Cage is much better and covers the same colors, he'd be my priority to keep if you could save a Three-star cover.

• abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I can't emphasize strongly enough the need to roster and level a 1* that you're happy with. Not only do you get the 500ISO every day, but the progression awards assume you'll get the 1* node, which is more tacos and ISO. Just choose one; many people choose Jugs since he has high HP and only two powers so you only need level 40 to max him (so he costs less ISO). Whomever you choose, they're strong enough to solo the 1* node, and that's the only time you'll use them.

1 or 2 cover 3* are not useful. Their only value is that they have to start with 1 or 2 covers to eventually get to 13 covers; nice, but they won't help you win matches for awhile. 

In my opinion, your short-term goal is to have at least 2 if not 3 strong 2* champed teams, which will be your bread&butter for awhile until you start being able to champ 3*. Characters like Ares punch way above their weight, while characters like Black Widow (usually referred to as OBW) will be useful even as you start having decent 3* characters. There are many reasonable teams, many of whom you're probably read about on the forums. Ones I like:
    Storm/Mags/Hawkeye (Storm and Mags pair so well at the 2* level that they also work well with Thor, Ares, and Wolvie).
    OBW/Wolverine (OBW's ability to double-dip attacks with her black power combines nicely with Wolverine's cheap strikes). This team works well with almost anybody, I usually pair them with Torch but I think that's only because I like Torch.
    I also often occasionally Ares/Moonstone/Captain America. There isn't a whole lot of love for Moonstone, but she has high HP and unusual powers for 2*. Cap is not fantastic (his red doesn't do as much damage as it should), but once he gets rolling he can help roll lower level teams.

The key point is that you can't have too many 2* champs; it'll save on health packs, generate champion rewards, and on a day when you start running 3* instead of 2* they make a pretty good farm (although don't start farming any 2* until you don't use them to win matches). 

More than you asked for, but I hope it helps. One more tip; this particular forum has had several very good topics in the last few weeks about how to get going; there's lots of good advice there.

Good luck, and have fun!

• marvel_dayz
    marvel_dayz Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice! I see the Magneto, Hawkeye matchup abilities. Too bad I sold off a bunch of Hawkeye covers previously. My Magneto is one cover away from maxing out. The ability to flip 3 tiles to blue is so useful! I think I am going to sell off my 2* Bullseye to make room. I think from all I have read, including the helpful advice here, I will work on maxing out my 2* Storm, Wolverine, Thor (currently I hide him behind my maxed Human Torch, his green power is really impressive!) and OBW. I have maxed 1* Iron Man and Spider Man. Looks like they often get buffs to Level 85 for quite a few missions. I thought I needed a 3 person team to do the Deadpool 1* mission. Looks like I can do it with 1 or 2 characters only.
    Yep. This forum is such a wealth on information! The part I found most confusing about trying to understand the abilities of characters is that I noticed the chaarcters have been tweaked by the devs and I am unsure if whatever was discussed was relevant to the current version. The players, like yourselves, are so helpful in sharing tips too!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another advantage maxing out Magneto is that he has high blue damage and so will keep Storm behind him protecting her on blue matches. Mags works well with Storm to generate blue for her and you can always add a red/green user like Thor to round out.

Moving forward:

You will want to champ all 2* eventually but it is also worth looking at who you can obtain from 2* Champ levels to prioritise and decide who you hang onto as 2* Champ.

For example: Ares is widely believed to possibly be the best 2* in the land but his champ level is Ragnarok who is a mixed bag. So if you champ him, you might want to hang on to him instead of immediately flipping if you don't have Rags already rostered because he is more immediately useful as a max champ. Likewise - 3* Storm whilst not terrible at all is not top tier like 2* Storm is.

However - it can't be empasised enough how much of an improvement 3* Cap is over 2* Cap and getting a 3* Thor will be a gamechanger once you also get IM40 to pair with him to power up that green!