Yondu or Nico?

Options
AionTeleos
AionTeleos Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
A little while ago, I opened my hoard in an effort to get Gambit to 13 covers (I didn't succeed; he went from 0 to 12. Archangel went from 0 to 13, though). In the process, I got 3 Yondu covers and 14 Nico covers (I hadn't had her prior to opening the hoard). If you were me, which of them would you champ? 

Comments

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you're in an iso crunch, i'd save up and let both of them go.  Keep pulling for Gambit and the chance you could get additional champ covers, then you'll need the 575k ish (times two if you keep pulling Archangel too) iso for him instead.  If you're set on champing one of them, I'd also go Nico over Yondu.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It depends on your play style, I prefer Nico, I like tiles and control characters, if you like quick constant damage go with Yondu.  If you play a lot with Rocket and Groot I would go with Yondu just for the bonus due to being in GOG.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It depends on your play style, I prefer Nico, I like tiles and control characters, if you like quick constant damage go with Yondu.  If you play a lot with Rocket and Groot I would go with Yondu just for the bonus due to being in GOG.
    Disagree here.  I like Gamora, Star-Lord, and even Drax (worse character than Yondu but no color overlap) better as partners for Grocket.  Nico works as a third to pair with two Guardians, as an alternative to Medusa. 
  • hopper1979
    Options
    No arguments here but they may not have all of those characters slotted so if you are using R&G and you need a GOG partner to get the bonus damage I would do Yandu before Nico which was their initial question, that was my point, not ideal pairing and optimal overlap :)
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally I like Nico a bit better, but she does lack a big punch - she's pure support. Yondu's a decently heavy hitter that can true heal, so if you don't have a ton of tile creators champed already for Nico to provide buffs for, he'll probably be more useful.
  • AionTeleos
    AionTeleos Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I ultimately went with Nico. I haven't really used her much yet, but she seemed like the better choice for my play style. Since then I've gotten another Yondu cover, so barring something unexpected he'll probably be my next champ. Or maybe I should start putting iso into my 5 stars. That's a topic for another thread, though.
  • hopper1979
    Options
    mexus said:
    No arguments here but they may not have all of those characters slotted so if you are using R&G and you need a GOG partner to get the bonus damage I would do Yandu before Nico which was their initial question, that was my point, not ideal pairing and optimal overlap :)
    To be fair, Nico can buff those strike tiles way beyond the static bonus that Yondu gives them.
    I agree in a prolonged match this is definitely true but that is not the point of matching a GOG with R&G.  So yest the upper limit is better with Nico but more than likely never going to be seen due to the speed of the R&G and GOG pairings.  We should probably have a number cruncher figure out how many rounds it takes for that difference to occur with various buffers.  That might be a good post somewhere down the road.

Aion I think you made the right choice, Nico is more flexible and easily one of the best supports in the game Yandu is a little more limited on the teams he can fit on even though he is a solid character.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    To be fair, Nico can buff those strike tiles way beyond the static bonus that Yondu gives them.
    I agree in a prolonged match this is definitely true but that is not the point of matching a GOG with R&G.  So yest the upper limit is better with Nico but more than likely never going to be seen due to the speed of the R&G and GOG pairings.  We should probably have a number cruncher figure out how many rounds it takes for that difference to occur with various buffers.  That might be a good post somewhere down the road.

Aion I think you made the right choice, Nico is more flexible and easily one of the best supports in the game Yandu is a little more limited on the teams he can fit on even though he is a solid character.

I did Crunch the numbers a while ago, but I can't find the right thread for it. The bottom line is that the boost from Nico will be greater than the Guardian bump on turn 3, at which Point Nico is the better option solely for the strike tiles. Of course, you may want to bring a Guardian for their Active skills...
  • hopper1979
    edited January 2018
    Options
    That information should go in the "Theory and Statistics" page.  Did you assume loss of tiles or or static, I would be interested to see you numbers.

https://forums.d3go.com/categories/theories-and-statistics
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options

To me Yondu is the Squirrel Girl of the 4* tier. Not hated, but has a cult following of supporters. They both have a nice nuke, an overcosted but decent power and a horrible yellow. Like SG, I have a hard time finding a team for Yondu (Sure there's R&G but I rather use Gamora or SL)

Overall I would pick Nico. She is a very good support character. She has a unique skillset with buffering tiles, true heal, stun, CD remover. Whereas, Yondu has a great blue, some AP denial but not much else.

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why is yellow horrible? Because it full heals him at 5 covers? Damn true healing, its so bad!

I dont get the hate... :/
  • Quebbster
    Options
    mexus said:
     In Sweden we say that smaken är som baken with means that the taste is like the butt. It really does mean exactly that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=917t87LLDa0

I Believe the English equivalent is "opinions are like ****" by the way.

• Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If I got enough covers to champ both, I’d go for both of them.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    That information should go in the "Theory and Statistics" page.  Did you assume loss of tiles or or static, I would be interested to see you numbers.

https://forums.d3go.com/categories/theories-and-statistics

I just calculated how long it would take for Nico's boost to exceed the boost from a fellow Guardian. That would happen on turn 3, assuming no one is boosted (or both Grocket and Nico being boosted). Didn't really include the possibility that some strike tiles might be lost Before turn 3 though. I Think the bottom line stands: For drawn-out fights Nico will probably provide a bigger boost, for fast fights a fellow Guardian is better.