Best use of cp with a developing 4* roster?

stryke
stryke Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
edited February 2018 in MPQ Tips and Guides
For ages any time I got 20 cp together I’d buy a token and often get a cover in the one colour out of three I had 5 in already and have to sell it for the iso.

Finally worked out that was dumb and started saving up the 120 and by doing so I’ve managed to champ five 4*s that I’d have had to sell the spare cover for before.

My question though is for the first time I’ve hit 120 without an outstanding cover to use to be able to champ someone. Should I buy some tokens to see what I get, or save it for when I do manage to naturally get another cover I need to save, or keep saving and maybe get a 5* cover? Though with that case it’d likely be the third/fourth cover max for that character.

Comments

• talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    My tactic is to always have 120cp ready for my 5-5-2 characters. As long as i have the iso to champ anyone i just keep on pulling. If i get a cover on the vine for my 5-5-2 i stop pulling and wait 12 days (in case of a miracle pull in heroic tokens) then spend my 120 cp to champ. Then i start over, saving up 120 cp and repeat. Works for me but atm i have an ISO drought so i keep on saving until i got the ISO to champ.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Along with talleman's with, I'd suggest being picky with who you spend it on and go for the better characters and characters you love only. 120cp for a Carol/Peggy/Medusa is a no brainer.
    For Eddie Brock, keep the iso and the CP and get 5 other covers that will be of more use in the long run.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Yes, I used to do exactly that, always having 120cp saved before open another LT (classic), and finished a few 4*s this way too (Prof X, Medusa, Carol). But then, the Heroes for Hire store started to have those special offers if you have a character with 12 covers and another spare on the vine, that I found it was better for me to spend 3600hp to finish the character rather than 120cp. It's working for me like a charm since then.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess I've been pretty lucky with my pulls; i usually just use CP in classic legends as I get it and LTs in latest as i get them, unless there is a new 5* i'm trying to get from one of those custom stores they do. I bought a 13th cover for Mordo one time, but in general getting 6 pulls is more beneficial for me right now. I do have now a bunch more 4*s starting to stack up 5 on a color though, so perhaps my tune will change soon.
  • stryke
    Hold 120 then buy with the extra sounds sensible to me, thanks!

I’d agree the hp option is better, but I’ve found it to be a very, very long wait potentially for it to be worth as for me recently it’s been either characters I already have champed or only have a couple of covers in.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Your CP is your gateway to the next tier. I hate selling a cover for ISO just as much as the next guy, but your mortgaging a little bit of your future every time you use CP to buy a cover. Your play style and goals may differ from mine so as always do whatever helps you enjoy the game most, but keep in mind that there is a decent chance of a 5* cover in that 120CP (not too mention 4* champ levels). Covers will come and the harder they are to come by the sweeter it is when they finally do get them. If you plan on playing into the 5* tier I'd recommend delaying gratification on completing some of your 4* and trying to come by their covers some other way (event rewards, token pulls, HP, etc).
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    stryke said:

I’d agree the hp option is better, but I’ve found it to be a very, very long wait potentially for it to be worth as for me recently it’s been either characters I already have champed or only have a couple of covers in.
    Oh, I didn't mean the normal Heroes for Hire offers, but a special one that "sometimes" is triggered when you have a character at certain conditions, usually being at 12 covers with an extra useless one on the vine.

For exemple, last week I had a 5/2/5 Rogue, then pulled another green (a color already maxed), then immediately checked the Heroes for Hire store, but there was no offer (That's ok, since this offer appears somehow after half the current DDQ cycle). The next day, I checked the store again and a Red Rogue was there, as an offer to complete her and save the useless one.

Keep in mind that it's something not guarantee to happen, as some players have reported, but, it's an option if you could wait and see if it appears, before using the 120cp.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just hoard them. When you have enough to eventually pull for latest or the special store to get 3x 5*, you'll end up with enough 4* covers to complete them with loads of champion levels. Don't bother with classics. Spending 120cp here and there means you'll never hit the 7500 required to do 300 pulls (less if using latest tokens)
  • stryke
    Felessa said:
    stryke said:

Oh, I didn't mean the normal Heroes for Hire offers, but a special one that "sometimes" is triggered when you have a character at certain conditions, usually being at 12 covers with an extra useless one on the vine.

...I had no idea that was a thing that even had the potential of happening.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    stryke said:
    Felessa said:
    stryke said:

...I had no idea that was a thing that even had the potential of happening.
    ...Yeah, there's a long, rather interesting history behind the whole feature. 

Basically, it starting showing up randomly a few months ago. There's never been a formal announcement of this feature, or confirmation of how exactly it works or what conditions need to be met in order to get the special offer. 

But generally speaking, the consensus seems to be an offer MAY be triggered in the following scenarios: 

1. You pull a 6th cover for a 4* character that has some variation on 5/5/2 or 5/4/3. Basically, 12 covers, and you pull a cover for the power(s) that have 5 already. In these cases, HfH MAY offer you the option to buy a useful cover for 3600 HP so you can apply it and champ the character, then use the previously useless cover as a champ reward.

2. You have some variation of 5/5/0 on a 4* and pull a cover in one of the two powers already at 5. HfH MAY offer you the option to buy a cover for the missing power, with the idea seeming to be that you at least now have the option of spending 240 CP to buy two more covers in that power and can then champ the character and use the previously useless cover as a champ reward. 

You'll probably notice I've emphasized MAY. That's because this offer isn't always guaranteed, even when those conditions are met. And as it was already mentioned, sometimes the offer doesn't happen right away.

For some reason, they seem to be tied to the Crash cycle somewhat. In my opinion, it's to create artificial scarcity and prompt you to buy the deal before it disappears. Offers seem to populate when there are somewhere between 48 and 72 hours left in the Crash cycle, and expire when the Crash does. So if you pull that useless cover for someone who has 12 covers already and you don't get an offer, wait a few days. If you don't get one when one Crash cycle ends, wait for the next. It doesn't hurt anything to wait a few days. But at the same time, don't be too disappointed if you never get an offer. Again, they're far from guaranteed.