1* Black Widow, 5 Blue Covers Only?

Judge_Mentok
Judge_Mentok Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
I keep seeing rosters with a 1* Black Widows with only 5 blue covers - sometimes even multiples on the same roster.  Can someone please explain this to me?  I know that she has a massive team-wide stun when blue is covered to 5, but what is the point/benefit/secret behind NOT covering any of the purples?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    When you send a team up, it randomly chooses one of the powers that character has covers in. So if you want to guarantee sending the blue stun...
  • Judge_Mentok
    So, knowing that my own intelligence is suspect, can you explain your first sentence to me a little more?  "When you send a team up, it randomly chooses one of the powers that character has covers in."

I'm still not quite getting it....are you supposed to use her with another 1* to guarantee the auto-discharge of the stun?  Is that what I'm missing?

Thanks for taking the time to spell this out....
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you want to guarantee that you send her stun as a team up, roster a build with only five blue covers. That way whenever you send her as a team up, it will always be Widow Sting.  

Despite being a 1* character, she has one of the best stuns in the whole game, and a stun is a stun no matter what tier you're playing in. It's my understanding that this team up is incredibly useful for 5* players, and can help speed along shield hops in PvP.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    OH!  I get it now - this is not an in-game strategy for me, this is when you send her around to your alliance, you're sending them a level-5 stun to use when THEY go into the game....holy smokes!  So, been playing for a while, never really had this level of strategy to consider within my alliance....just got a new alliance, so...maybe we'll do this too!  

Thanks for clearing this up!
    Yep, that's also why you see multiples rostered sometimes too, so you can send more than one at a time, whether that's multiple to one person or one team up to several people.

I'm not sure, but the same thing may be done for 3* Deadpool, except rostering a build with only purple covers so it's always guaranteed you'll send WHALES! WHALES! WHALES!, A.K.A the insta-win team up. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are a couple of other characters I can see doing this with (Moonstone's black, perhaps most notably), but I think 1BW is the only common one.

• 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    When I started the game and looked at players rosters I saw and thought the same.
    ”Why does everyone have so many 1* Black Widows with only 5 blue cover?”
    ”Is it a cheat code? Is it a technique?”

The answer is sending Team Ups to your Alliance. Her guarantee stun(blue cover) is great to send out as a Team Up to have during a PvP match. 

Having multiple of them will allow you to send more than 1 out of 5 Team Ups. ;)
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Being a 1*, she also returns relatively quickly when sent as a TU so she can be sent more frequently than a beefy 5* and you don't even need to put any ISO into her.
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Another character you might see this with is 1* Spiderman Purple. 2 crits can be pretty strong in 5* land and the power is cheap.
  • Judge_Mentok
    edited February 2018
    Hmmm....good point about the Spidey.  This thread is making me reconsider simply cashing in those excess of 1* covers....although, I'm at a point where spending 1000 CP to roster someone else's boost might not be the best use of resources....

Then again, I'm also not a 5* player, either.  Still trying to champ all those doggone 4*!  
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another character you might see this with is 1* Spiderman Purple. 2 crits can be pretty strong in 5* land and the power is cheap.
    Before his rework, I particularly liked those when going up against one of the Spider-characters, to take advantage of the Web tiles they'd be putting out and get it up dropping 4 Crits. I get why they changed it, but I miss that.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    OH!  I get it now - this is not an in-game strategy for me, this is when you send her around to your alliance, you're sending them a level-5 stun to use when THEY go into the game....holy smokes!  So, been playing for a while, never really had this level of strategy to consider within my alliance....just got a new alliance, so...maybe we'll do this too!  

It's *sorta* for you. That MBW on your roster isn't directly for you but it gets your other alliance mates to do it also (hopefully!). Try using that TU when your in a bind, saved my bacon many times.

The other benefit is it only needs 9 TU AP which is good. Really don't want to be chasing TU AP much.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    It’s cheap, and often game-changing, I always keep a few handy.

I’ve got 2 5-black cover Ghost Riders on my roster purely for TUs as well.
  • Judge_Mentok
    Hmmm....good point about the Spidey.  This thread is making me reconsider simply cashing in those excess of 1* covers....although, I'm at a point where spending 1000 CP to roster someone else's boost might not be the best use of resources....

Then again, I'm also not a 5* player, either.  Still trying to champ all those doggone 4*!  
    HP you mean. I'd bite your hand off for 1000CP...
    You know what...you're right.  I did mean HP.  Geez....1000CP for a 1* Black Widow would be a little steep.   :p
  • Judge_Mentok

It's *sorta* for you. That MBW on your roster isn't directly for you but it gets your other alliance mates to do it also (hopefully!). Try using that TU when your in a bind, saved my bacon many times.

The other benefit is it only needs 9 TU AP which is good. Really don't want to be chasing TU AP much.
    This is a good point - honestly though, I never really thought that much about this aspect of the game...seems like you would have to have really good communication with the other members of your alliance to make this work.  I recently swapped alliances, and was shocked when one of the members asked directly for a 3* Deadpool.  Now, I don't know if he got the WHALES x3 he wanted, but it was still good to get that direct of an ask.

I guess MPQ strategy really changes when your alliance actually talks to each other, huh?
  • Judge_Mentok
    Rod5 said:

I dream of a day when I have extra 4* covers to do something like that.  Although....I guess if you have a GR who is maxed out on black but are waiting for the other two colors to show up, you COULD start a dupe of only black covers.....

Huh....I have a few covers on the vine which are going to expire, wonder if any of their power-up are worth doing a dedicated dupe...?  But still, the HP cost....!
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Rod5 said:

I dream of a day when I have extra 4* covers to do something like that.  Although....I guess if you have a GR who is maxed out on black but are waiting for the other two colors to show up, you COULD start a dupe of only black covers.....

Huh....I have a few covers on the vine which are going to expire, wonder if any of their power-up are worth doing a dedicated dupe...?  But still, the HP cost....!
    I had both dupes before I eventually champed the main one. It’s the most dangerous TU in the game for me (given it’s only 10AP), really helpful esp. when fighting big teams ie lvl 500+.
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    I personally like mr fantastics stun better. 7 ap for 3 turn stun, 2 decent protects tiles, and the ability to swap tiles.  I wouldn't nor would I expect others to roster dupe mr f's to send out as Tu's though . Champing him was painful. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Before his rework, I particularly liked those when going up against one of the Spider-characters, to take advantage of the Web tiles they'd be putting out and get it up dropping 4 Crits. I get why they changed it, but I miss that.
    Deadpool purple for whales is another