What is the purpose of sarcasm on these forums?

13»

Comments

• Martin
    Martin Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    This is a great discussion, worthy of being in General Discussion.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    [MOD NOTE] Conversation moved as relevance to MTGPQ was not established. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah well, I tried... I needed more backup!
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards

bken1234 said:
    [MOD MIC ON]  If you wish to have a constructive conversation about sarcasm's purpose in the forum, and how it is used (preferably pertaining to MTGPQ), then we believe it can be appropriate for General Discussion. If the thread was created purely for joke purposes though, and does not directly pertain to MTGPQ or its forum, then we believe it's more appropriate in the Off-Topic section

We have already moved similar threads to the Off-Topic section which fit this description. Please remember that for many players this forum is an important resource of news and information and being able to access that information without having to wade through posts that don't belong here is important to the user experience. Please shape the discussion of this thread in a manner appropriate for this forum or start a new thread in the "Off Topic" section. Thank you.
    [MOD MIC OFF]
    Sarcasm (as a form of humor like Kinesia stated) at least in this thread, also may help calm potential tension that could be building between multiple threads, where reasonable-but-differing minds have clashed.  This is relevant for the General Discussion threads, as even if the conversation has moved a bit off topic, the humor may create opportunity for renewed interest in the discussion, instead of resentment build by negative emotion.

Also, a good deal of the humor was making subtle references to mtgpq gameplay, (references to mtgpq tiers, pack purchases, nerf, etc).

If we started debating about which was the best Star Wars movie, or the best place for a low-budget vacation, or our favorite kind of cereal, or whether or not wombats are the coolest critters ever (which they totally are), then I'd agree with you 100% that we are off-topic.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker

bken1234 said:
    [MOD MIC ON]  If you wish to have a constructive conversation about sarcasm's purpose in the forum, and how it is used (preferably pertaining to MTGPQ), then we believe it can be appropriate for General Discussion. If the thread was created purely for joke purposes though, and does not directly pertain to MTGPQ or its forum, then we believe it's more appropriate in the Off-Topic section

We have already moved similar threads to the Off-Topic section which fit this description. Please remember that for many players this forum is an important resource of news and information and being able to access that information without having to wade through posts that don't belong here is important to the user experience. Please shape the discussion of this thread in a manner appropriate for this forum or start a new thread in the "Off Topic" section. Thank you.
    [MOD MIC OFF]
    Sarcasm (as a form of humor like Kinesia stated) at least in this thread, also may help calm potential tension that could be building between multiple threads, where reasonable-but-differing minds have clashed.  This is relevant for the General Discussion threads, as even if the conversation has moved a bit off topic, the humor may create opportunity for renewed interest in the discussion, instead of resentment build by negative emotion.

Also, a good deal of the humor was making subtle references to mtgpq gameplay, (references to mtgpq tiers, pack purchases, nerf, etc).

If we started debating about which was the best Star Wars movie, or the best place for a low-budget vacation, or our favorite kind of cereal, or whether or not wombats are the coolest critters ever (which they totally are), then I'd agree with you 100% that we are off-topic.
    Honestly I am fine with it where it is, as it quickly went, much as I suspected it to, off the rails. Also The Holiday Special, The Gateway to Hell (an actual place, it is a hole constantly spewing out natural gas that has been on fire for, I think it is, 30 years now), Grape Nuts, and Dragons (unless you don't count mythological ones).
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was it ever even on any rails? 
  • bk1234
    Was it ever even on any rails? 
    @Kinesia’s post was. 
  • bk1234
    Empire, camping, Special K, and unicorns — always unicorns. 
  • FindingHeart8
    a 3 day old burrito, holiday postcard stamps, frozen asparagus, warm winter mittens, camouflaged-colored sporks
  • bk1234
    a 3 day old burrito, holiday postcard stamps, frozen asparagus, warm winter mittens, camouflaged-colored sporks
    Pictures of a stranger’s baby, a dot matrix printer, Rocky from Rocky Horror Picture Show, any Catan extension and grass. 
  • Toodles
    Toodles Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    bken1234 said:
    Pictures of a stranger’s baby, a dot matrix printer, Rocky from Rocky Horror Picture Show, any Catan extension and grass. 
    What are "things found in my mom's basement?"
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Toodles said:
    bken1234 said:
    What are "things found in my mom's basement?"
    Frank N Furtur is your mother?
  • FindingHeart8
    bken1234 said:
    3 socks with almost-symmetrical holes in them, lemon pudding, the touch-down jesus statue, Cards Against Humanity -- the pig latin version, eggo waffle with a bite taken out of it, a grumpy hamster
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    I've never been to Sar Chasm so can't speak to it specifically.  However, what's the point of the Grand Canyon or any such geological structure?  The world may never know.
  • FindingHeart8
    broll said:
    I've never been to Sar Chasm so can't speak to it specifically.  However, what's the point of the Grand Canyon or any such geological structure?  The world may never know.
    I completely missed what you did there.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    I completely missed what you did there.

It was quite deep.
  • Bithenman
    Bithenman Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Sarcasm is one of the greatest things a man has done.
    One of the types of satirical exposures, exposures, sarcastic ridicule.
    We are all different people. And our character is also different.
    Therefore, we can express our emotions in different ways.
    Someone through sarcasm, I used all my life and now I use sarcasm in my jokes.
    Even with my own child, you just need to know a line what is allowed....