What is the purpose of sarcasm on these forums?

Comments

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Depends on amount of fetches available.
  • Dutchrudder
    Dutchrudder Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    I like sarcasm, but not enough to spend $29.99 on it. 
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    what sarcasm? I've never seen or heard of sarcasm in my life!
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    So specially for you there is a new offer: you can get a smaller version of it for just 3.99$!!!
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Szamsziel said:
    So specially for you there is a new offer: you can get a smaller version of it for just 3.99$!!!
    They claim it is just a smaller version but it really ends up being more sardonic.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    I don’t know you tell me.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Szamsziel said:
    They claim it is just a smaller version but it really ends up being more sardonic.
    Or you can get "just contradiction" almost for free.

• THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    you know what they say
    a ban hammer a day
    keeps the sarcasm away

• Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Got a duplicate sarcasm...
  • Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Coilbox said:
    How many orbs do you get for that?
  • TheDragonHermit
    Skiglass6 said:
    Coilbox said:
    How many orbs do you get for that?
    You get -all- the orbs for that
  • Martin
    Martin Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    If someone the mods didn't like had started this thread, it would have been moved to off topic a week ago.
  • TheDragonHermit
    Martin said:
    If someone the mods didn't like had started this thread, it would have been moved to off topic a week ago.
    Yeah I have been dreading the ban hammer since posting it, but I felt it needed posting.
  • Dutchrudder
    Dutchrudder Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Anyone else think it's weird that TheDragonHermit hasn't posted since starting this topic?  I hope he's OK.
  • Kinesia
    Anyone else think it's weird that TheDragonHermit hasn't posted since starting this topic?  I hope he's OK.
    It is! And why is there a blank space directly above your post?
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    [MOD MIC ON]  If you wish to have a constructive conversation about sarcasm's purpose in the forum, and how it is used (preferably pertaining to MTGPQ), then we believe it can be appropriate for General Discussion. If the thread was created purely for joke purposes though, and does not directly pertain to MTGPQ or its forum, then we believe it's more appropriate in the Off-Topic section

We have already moved similar threads to the Off-Topic section which fit this description. Please remember that for many players this forum is an important resource of news and information and being able to access that information without having to wade through posts that don't belong here is important to the user experience. Please shape the discussion of this thread in a manner appropriate for this forum or start a new thread in the "Off Topic" section. Thank you.
    [MOD MIC OFF]
  • Kinesia
    Sarcasm, like most humour, lets us take some of the pain out discussing painful things. In some things we disagree wildly and we KNOW we disagree wildly but we still need to talk things out so we can see the full boundaries of each others beliefs and try and work out whether there some weird fractal overlap that isn't immediate obvious.

Opinions on things like magic are not circles, they are twisty mandelbrot sets and it's hard to work out the bits that overlap on the Venn Diagram because of this.

So sarcasm and humour help us reach out past our own boundaries and explore the spaces between.

Of course, sometimes it's just to be funny or mean, but the BEST stuff has deep meaning in it as well as those things.

(I mean, if you want a constructive serious discussion about it, I shall oblige!)
  • Toodles
    Toodles Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    The purpose of sarcasm is to confuse and confound your enemies to death, at which point you bathe in their blood. 
  • Kinesia
    Toodles said:
    The purpose of sarcasm is to confuse and confound your enemies to death, at which point you bathe in their blood. 
    So you think it's primarily blue/black?
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    More like BUG, the god Pharaoh's colors! Also, bug!