Which 4* to let go of?

Options
CenturyChild
CenturyChild Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
edited January 2018 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I'm still sort of in the beginning phase of 3* territory (none champed, three with 10 covers) and I'm realizing that with my current place I should probably go ahead and let go some of the single cover 4* that I have, in favor of opening up roster slots for more 3*. I'm a sucker for strong female heroes which is why I've wound up keeping most of the 4* that I've acquired (and there are some that I probably still won't part with) but it seems silly to have twelve roster slots (out of my current total 39) tied up with heroes that I'm realistically not going to be able to fully cover or utilize for a good while. 

I know for sure that I want to keep Peggy, Medusa and Captain Marvel no matter what. America Chavez also seems like a good one to hold onto, and I'm partial to Mockingbird and Elektra, too (just because I like them.)

Wolverine, Rocket & Groot, Nico Minoru, Wasp, Rogue and Spider Woman are the heroes that I'm considering expendable at this point (though Nico was my first 4*, so I feel somewhat sentimental about getting rid of her, and I've got two covers for Spider Woman, so that's also making me hesitant about letting go of her). It's worth mentioning that I realize some of the heroes I'm planning to keep probably aren't the best, and some of the ones I'm considering getting rid of are probably really good, and that's also because I just like some characters better than others, regardless of how they perform in game. The best thing for me would probably be to just get rid of all of them, but I am very weak. I'm also a fairly casual player, so it's worth it to me to keep characters that I like even if I can't use them.

I'm just interested to hear what anyone else might think. 

EDIT: I also meant to post this in the Roster and Level subforum, forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

EDIT #2: Somewhat unrelated, but in the past four days I've acquired five covers for Bag Man (all of them purple, lul) and while I know he's not a good hero, I've heard that the rewards you get for leveling him are pretty decent. Is it worth it at all to keep him or should I just sell those covers and keep focusing on 3*?

Comments

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I ruthlessly culled my single-cover 4*s at your stage and it was definitely the right choice for me.

I know you said you want to keep Elektra, but there are two reasons why not to: a)she's really bad, and b) she has 2 3* feeders so you'll have her built in no time when you're ready. You will also get all three of her covers from daily resupply.

The exact same arguments apply to X-Force Wolvie.

I say this as someone who has both of them champed.

I wouldn't get rid of R&G, because once you get them champed, every level counts. To be honest, I think if I were you I'd ditch Elektra and Wolvie and see how things go from there - the rest will all be good some day.
  • CenturyChild
    Options
    granne said:
    I ruthlessly culled my single-cover 4*s at your stage and it was definitely the right choice for me.

I know you said you want to keep Elektra, but there are two reasons why not to: a)she's really bad, and b) she has 2 3* feeders so you'll have her built in no time when you're ready. You will also get all three of her covers from daily resupply.

The exact same arguments apply to X-Force Wolvie.

I say this as someone who has both of them champed.

I wouldn't get rid of R&G, because once you get them champed, every level counts. To be honest, I think if I were you I'd ditch Elektra and Wolvie and see how things go from there - the rest will all be good some day.
    Before I even got a response I chose to sell Wolverine lmao. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be selling Elektra now knowing that she's so easy to build again. 
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
    Options
        Without seeing your roster it's hard to see what your 3*s look like but I can give you some overall advice since I just came from your place a few months ago. 

1)  Make sure you only have 1 max champ in the 1* category.  Iron Man 35 or Juggernaut are usually the more popular choices.

2)  If you haven't already, look at these posts so you can get an idea of what people say are the best 4* characters in the game.  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67654/all-the-different-character-rankings.  Fortunately Peggy, Captain Marvel and Medusa are all three very solid useful characters.  (and I've heard Mockingbird and America Chavez are as well).

3)  The way I used to manage my 4* covers is I would look at the DDQ schedule.  https://mpq.gamependium.com/ddq/  When a 4* was required in the Behemith Burrito, and I had the 3*, I would try to hold onto the character until they were required for that node.  Then discard it when it was no longer needed.

4)  Take a look at the sneak peak section in the forum often to see which 4* is going to be required in upcoming PVE's.  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/69833/mpq-sneak-peek-january-2018-edition-updated-1-24-18/p1.  You'll have a much easier time making full progression in PVE if you have the 4* required for the event and once that character is used, you will not need it for a long time to come, so you can probably get rid of it if it's not an overall useful character (an exception is with new release 4*s)

5)  Any character that has a 3X chance of being pulled I would keep.  You're more likely to get more covers of Nico, Rogue, & Rocket and Groot than the other three you mentioned because they have 3X more of a chance to be pulled.

6)  Don't pull any tokens like classic or latest legends that only give 4 or 5*s until you have most of your 3*s rostered.  Once you have more roster slots available you'll be able to start getting more covers through those tokens.
    CenturyChild said:

EDIT #2: Somewhat unrelated, but in the past four days I've acquired five covers for Bag Man (all of them purple, lul) and while I know he's not a good hero, I've heard that the rewards you get for leveling him are pretty decent. Is it worth it at all to keep him or should I just sell those covers and keep focusing on 3*?
        Unless you play lots of PVP or lightening rounds you're not going to get a lot of covers for him and personally he's not worth a roster slot at your point in the game.  When you have more roster slots than you know what to do with, you can try to champ and level him up.  I'm pretty sure the only thing different you get when he reaches 144 is a legendary token but it may take you more a year or more to get there; so in my opinion it's not worth it.

Hopefully some of my points were helpful to you and feel free to use the number 3) tool to add in your roster and if you have any further questions it might be easier for us to give you more specific advice with your roster included.  Here's mine if you want to see an example of how it looks https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/jtsings/.  I do have 2* rostered but they're not reflected in this roster tool.  It's also nice to see, with this tool, your roster growth and it's easier to look at than the in app roster interface.

• CenturyChild
    Options
    jtsings said:

Thank you for the tips! I've gotten a pretty good handle on the game I feel in the two months or so that I've been playing. I've already purged all of the 1*'s from my roster save for Juggernaut (thought I sold him to recruit black widow so I could refresh the galactus boss fight, so i'm waiting on some more covers for him so I can start doing the 1* node on DPD again). I've also pretty much figured out not to pull classic or latest legends lmao. I have a single 5* and I'm content not to get any more, lest my MMR suffer for it (though given that it's OML with his red ability, it would be nice to have a yellow cover for him too, to offset all that damage he takes, but I certainly won't go out of my way to make that happen). Also thanks for the Bag Man advice. I didn't know if he was so rare that it was worth holding onto him whenever you got him, but I'm glad to hear that he'd only be taking up space. I'll make sure not to recruit him.