*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• Ariakos wrote:
    My humble opinion on this whole ordeal:

Pros:
    New 3* Thor? Tinykitty yes!

Cons:
    Copy-pasted abilities of pre-nerf Thor? Eugh... little effort here please, D3. You can try tell us it's raining but we can see what's really going on. Basically you're returning old Thor back to life with more levels. Granted it'll take awhile before we see maxed Lazy Thor's competing on tourneys but when we finally do some people are going to scream they're OP. And suddenly... it's Ragnanerf all over again.

What it is,I believe, is an attempt to recycle some coding while quickly introducing more covers. I ask more more and more covers more than any1 but I would prefer a little effort be taken away from improving the UI to improve characters. This recycling stuff will just make things dreadful.

Hey I'm in the 2* range for months fighting all these Thor and OBW. Hey I've finally upgraded to 3* where I'm gonna be even longer, can't wait to fight the next tier of covers!!! Oh wait, *!*!*!*GOLD VERSION!*!*!* Thor and OBW. Sad face. Closes app.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually loved the Thor rework, while he doesn't do as much damage, his yellow got beefed with green tile creation, and his Green is evily awesome. I mean as a character design orginal Thor was flawed, his goal was to build towards green, I mean red built yellow, yellow built green, green damaged all but...the way he was set it was really spam red, get yellow, single target kill with yellow hope for a nice cascade, green goes to Wolvie.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Puritas wrote:
    Being able to turn thor into lazy thor is a bit ridiculous. They should have a full iso refund for selling your thor though if you want imo. That would give ppl the iso back, which is half of the equation.

Well instead of a full iso refund, if levelling up a gold character would leech from the ** version rather than your general ISO pool it'd be an incredibly simple and elegant solution

I'm really hoping for some feature like this.

Suck the ISO out of your ** Thor to level your *** and maybe a 3to1 trade for ** to *** cover upgrades.

Otherwise, it doesn't seem worthwhile to have the two versions of the exact same character.
  • The more I think about this the more unsure I am about it. 2* Thor got a lot of complaints because he was OP for 2* but still not quite strong enough to be the "god" he's supposed to be especially compared to pte-nerf Rags. So the Devs gave us what we wanted -- a stronger, god-like Thor. This version certainly represents the character better. The hangup is we already built this guy as a 2*. If that version never existed, we'd all be foaming at the mouth for this one!
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    The more I think about this the more unsure I am about it. 2* Thor got a lot of complaints because he was OP for 2* but still not quite strong enough to be the "god" he's supposed to be especially compared to pte-nerf Rags. So the Devs gave us what we wanted -- a stronger, god-like Thor. This version certainly represents the character better. The hangup is we already built this guy as a 2*. If that version never existed, we'd all be foaming at the mouth for this one!

Quite true. icon_e_geek.gif

To be honest, I have mixed feelings overall.
    I can say for certain that I've zero intention of chasing or ever levelling a gold* version of any 2* I have maxed (and I already maxed all the 2*s I rate!), simply because ISO is far & away the most precious resource for me and I'm not wasting 69,524 by retiring anyone.

Good

If they release gold characters and keep to the "concept" (not exactly a promise) of having 2* and gold* characters always buffed together, then this does address one of my fears that we'll be flooded with new 3* characters who are shoe-horned into every event for 2 weeks then never seen again - they can keep releasing 'new' gold* characters without this risk.

If you don't have a high level 2* (1* also?) version of that character, then there's a lot of good gold* characters to potentially look forward to - just a few exceptions - and frankly the standard is likely to be superior to all-new characters purely because new 3* have recently been 'experimental' in their powers with not-so-good returns (Psylocke's blue, Panther's yellow, Daredevil's everything).

Bad

If the "concept" of simul-buffing goes out the window and they phase out 2* buffing in favour of gold* buffing then I'll be hugely disappointed, personally.
    (I'd really have preferred the gold* versions had the same names & looks, so this wouldn't be a concern.)

It's another clear indicator (recent releases & scaling-zilla being the others) that the devs have swung firmly towards 3* as the baseline for the game, despite 3* covers remain elusive/random/increasingly-overcrowded (lightning rounds are the only time you'll see some covers from month to month) and ISO rewards are wildly short of actually levelling all these characters at the pace they're being released (frankly any pace at all).
    Pre-scaling buffed Thor and buffed OBW would be the stuff of fantasy, now I have them together in the Hulk 3.0 event and they're getting hosed by the likes of Moonstone and Daken with a 100+ level advantage - but I send in Patch and he's one-shot'ing them with his red power... I miss the sense of progression rosters had when attainable & affordable characters were viable. icon_e_sad.gif

Missed opportunity

Coming so soon after the introduction of respecs (rejoice!), I would have been bowing down to the D3 devs if gold characters had been implemented with an upgrade option rather than simply the choice to throw away everything invested in the lower star versions.
    E.g. At max level only a big flashing gold star button appears on 2* Thor that, when pressed (don't care if has a HP fee or not), transforms him in to level 85 gold* Thor and sets his covers to 3 3 3.
    He'd have taken an immediate power hit (3* L85 is lower stats than 2* L85) and there'd still be covers to hunt/buy plus an ISO sink, but in return he gains a big power cap raise - it would be an irresistible temptation for me, as I'm still waiting for the respec covers I want to drop anyway.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I had to sell my old Thor because he had 5 red (no respec then), built anew to 4-5-4 hoping for 3-5-5, leveled to 69 and now this? HUGEkitty. Mixed feelings. I guess it's best to wait and see where this goes.

ps. I hate the new Thor art. It's ugly. icon_razz.gif Thoreal no approve.

Chris-Hemswoth-as-Thor-600x651.jpg
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Twysta wrote:
    If this event finished on April 1st I'd have thought it was a prank to be honest.
    I still can't believe this isn't an elaborate joke.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    Twysta wrote:
    If this event finished on April 1st I'd have thought it was a prank to be honest.
    I still can't believe this isn't an elaborate joke.

Yep I *still* find myself wondering if it's going to be a brand new character and they're just having fun with us - maybe it's Doctor Strange or Iceman hiding *behind* Thor, and he jumps out and says "Here I am! You should see the look on your face!" when you pop the reward. Though... I guess the colors are wrong for such a pleasant scenario.
  • bughunt wrote:
    I was glad to see the back of Thor in every team after transitioning to 3* characters. Looks like he's coming back even for high level teams icon_e_sad.gif

I'm not so sure that 3* Thor will be as ubiquitous as the 2* version was. So many 3* heroes already use red and green, there is a lot of competition for that spot. Coupled with the fact that he is a red and green user late to the party, how many people will want to spend iso on him that already have maxed GSBW, Patch, and Punisher (not to mention Hulk, but Hulk plays well with other red//green types).

This seems more like a 'fan service' thing to me, for those people who really, really loved playing with Thor and don't want to have to leave him behind when they transition.
  • agent86ix
    agent86ix Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Been thinking about this a bit, and I'm guessing this is what happened:

Manager 1: "Hey, we need to sell more covers/ISO/HP. Why aren't people shelling out for these new heroes? Maybe we should put out another Wolverine. People LOVE Wolverine!"
    Manager 2: "Nah, we have 3 Wolverines already. And we just nerfed him, too. Hmm, from the stats, seems like most people are still playing with Thor."
    Manager 1: "OK, let's release a new Thor, just like the old Thor, but more... Thor."
    Manager 2: "OK."
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Just pulled my first IW cover. Looks pretty useless to me. Curious if I should ditch to make room for new Thor. Opinions?
  • user311 wrote:
    Just pulled my first IW cover. Looks pretty useless to me. Curious if I should ditch to make room for new Thor. Opinions?

I would never ditch a 4* cover because it's so hard to obtain. If nothing else, it is a rare and valuable part of your collection. Who knows whether you'll want to play with the character in a year or two.
  • user311 wrote:

IW has also frequently been required for certain PVE missions, often ones that are high in point values.
  • Phaserhawk
    Celerity wrote:
    user311 wrote:

I would never ditch a 4* cover because it's so hard to obtain. If nothing else, it is a rare and valuable part of your collection. Who knows whether you'll want to play with the character in a year or two.

I did that, I somewhat regret it, but...when you think about the amount of time it will take to get it fully levled, my thought is unless you put money into the game it won't happen. That being said, hanging on to one copy isn't a bad idea as you can play locked missions. I would hangonto her for that reason alone. If you love the game and need roster space, dig under you couch cushions, find $5 buy some HP and expand your roster a bit
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Celerity wrote:
    user311 wrote:

I did that, I somewhat regret it, but...when you think about the amount of time it will take to get it fully levled, my thought is unless you put money into the game it won't happen. That being said, hanging on to one copy isn't a bad idea as you can play locked missions. I would hangonto her for that reason alone. If you love the game and need roster space, dig under you couch cushions, find $5 buy some HP and expand your roster a bit

Really? I don't spend money and I have IW almost filled out, just from random tournament and PVE rewards. The 4*'s will only get harder to obtain as they release more of them, so I say take what you can get.
  • user311 wrote:
    No.
  • Highdark
    Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Yea...I registered just so i could rant how unbelievably bad this gold star upgrade thor concept is. This cover represents a gamebreakingly stupid concept and a level of laziness in developing which is sad. I am all for a three star thor with different abilities but a static upgrade is disgusting. Why have a two star thor now? Yes getting the lazythor wont immediately replace the uncommon, but why the hell does he even exist. Imagine you are just starting and you get your 2* thor and maybe you get lucky get a couple of more of them through standard. Over a couple of weeks(this person plays casually) you get a few more and manage to get him to 85, and hes your contender. Then you pvp agaisnt a level 90 of this abomination, it is a big smack to the face saying (you like thor? ha mines better and its not even maxed, "anything you can do i can do better")

Tldr, Rant, New thor stupid bad concept, fix plz with different abilities
  • Phaserhawk
    Like i said, they could have easily created a 3rd skill for Rags which essential would have been a 3* Thor, but nope, this guy
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Now we wait till someone maxes him out..... so impatient i am.. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Thanos wrote:
    Now we wait till someone maxes him out..... so impatient i am.. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I know right...

While I technically have enough HP/ISO to get him maxed immediately, it would be some pretty pricey information...