Fearless Defenders Discussion Thread

Comments

• Before adding this event, I would have added an official marvel puzzle quest forum linked from the game. This forum was rather hard to find as its relation to marvel puzzle quest isn't obvious if you don't know D3 is developing it.

Now, as a result, we'll see forum goers get a huge advantage over non-forum goers, since it's pretty hard to have any sort of player interaction within the game, which is needed to form alliances.
  • Just popping in to answer a question I've seen here and fill in some gaps:

- Everyone in the alliance gets the rewards at the end of the event.
    - In addition to the 50 HP "moved" from single-player progression rewards to alliance rewards (it's likely that more folks will get that reward than got the progression reward previously, so it both moved and got more generous), we made the remaining higher-end single-player progression rewards easier to get.

Appreciate the feedback, keep it coming!

For my terms the 50 HP would be a "move" if there was an alliance progression ladder and it was sitting there at the 500 pts mark. Then I would not care to get it from that pool.
  • Microtom wrote:
    Before adding this event, I would have added an official marvel puzzle quest forum linked from the game. This forum was rather hard to find as its relation to marvel puzzle quest isn't obvious if you don't know D3 is developing it.

Now, as a result, we'll see forum goers get a huge advantage over non-forum goers, since it's pretty hard to have any sort of player interaction within the game, which is needed to form alliances.

actually i fully expect there to soon be alliances formed from facebook and steam groups so us alliance members wouldnt have TOO large an advantage from that aspect. but if history shows from past games i've played that forum goers will have an advantage just from the merit that they are typically WAY more active in the game overall
  • IceIX wrote:
    MTGOFerret wrote:
    I haven't seen my alliance leader in a while now. Last time he was posting threads of displeasure.

Think I'm going into free agent status. Any awesome alliances need someone with 8x 100+ covers and often scores 900-1000 in choice pvp events.

Im more then sure we at DjanoUnbuffed would take you, we're currently 10/11
    So tempted to join a user Alliance for the fun of it. Worried that it'd be shown as a sign of favoritism by other players despite the fact that I have nothing special. icon_e_sad.gif

Mods always have a profound knowledge of the game which vets have too anyway, but they also have less time to actually play. I have no problems with them playing, all game devs and communities should encourage that for sake of instant feedback to devs.

As for alliance rewards, how about making alliance only events? And for general events alliance rewards should be restricted to iso and hp and maybe boosts
  • Backdoorbettys icon_rolleyes.gif...
  • Hey I haven't waded through all the complaints but I just want to add my name to the list of those unhappy about the removal of the 50 HP at 500 progression point. That was a meaningful prize for one thing, it's all wooo! when I get to that point and kept me coming back to tourneys even though I was intimidated at first. Also I'm in a small alliance with friends and I think I'm the only one with no life who can play MPQ like as much as I do so I doubt we'll ever rank high enough for HP. I've already spent a decent amount of cash on this game, any more is just not happening. But the last 15 minutes of a tourney are stressful and grueling and that's why I liked shields, which is what I use my HP for. I like this game because it's relaxing and competitive at the same time, not stressful and competitive.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah hopefully they'll revert it back for the next event and not make the alliance rewards so significant.
  • Seems like the top is just dominated by the big alliances. Not sure if the rating is the total of the alliance or just the top 5, but the results speak for themselves.
  • Since they asked us to keep the feedback coming...

I'm not a fan of *moving* rewards from the standard tourney structure to the alliance rewards. If you want to reward people for being in alliances, make it a bonus over and above the normal rewards. What you've done is NOT adding rewards, it is throwing in another hurdle (you must be in an alliance of at least x people with at least y activity) to existing rewards. Accordingly, I'm unhappy that the 3rd BP cover is an alliance reward now.

I do like having more iso available as tourney rewards. Thumbs up for that.

I do not think alliance scoring should simply be a total of all the members' scores. My suggestion would be take the total of the 5 highest scores.

-GK
  • I really hope we get this 50hp reward back. I was fortunate enough to get into a great alliance but this is just yet another hurdle for newer / more anti social players to jump through. Like everyone has said, the alliance bonuses should not take away from the single player aspect. Let's hope they listen to us...
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    ... This is the EXACT thing I was talking about when I expressed my original concern re: Alliance-geared events, big Alliances always winning, and how the big Alliance rewards (I'm not sure where people get the idea that HP and 3* covers are small add-on rewards ESPECIALLY with how they got removed from the normal ranking rewards) are going to create a deeper divide between the rich-get-richer while everyone else struggles to catch up.

Played way too many of these guild/alliance/group-geared games to not see it coming.

Just to clarify; it isn't the Alliances I don't like; it's shoving in the big rewards into Alliances that I don't like and the fallout that is going to result from it.

Pretty much everyone in the other thread said that they supported Alliances as long as big rewards didn't get thrown into Alliances-only ranking. Despite this, this is exactly what happened.

The HP and high tier cover rewards that got removed from normal ranking rewards and got stuffed into Alliance rewards are NOT just 'add-ons' to the normal rewards as 'add-ons' suggest that they are EXTRAS in addition to the normal ranking.

Being that they once belonged in the normal rewards but are now only available through Alliance ranking, to me, that doesn't qualify it for 'add-on' status.

NOT Alliance-related, I am appreciative of the roster view changes. It deginitely gave me a better idea on the 'strength' of my partially-buffed team during the last leg of the Hulk event.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    So tempted to join a user Alliance for the fun of it. Worried that it'd be shown as a sign of favoritism by other players despite the fact that I have nothing special. icon_e_sad.gif
    Join and leave alliances at random, staying for just one event at a time?
  • Maybe events should only allow you to participate in either the alliance prize pool or the solo prize pool. Prizes should also mirror each other. This would give a bonus to people who dont want to join alliances. Basically your points should only count in one or the other.
  • Don't get the Alliance hate, it's another aspect to the game which has made me more invested in playing. It's not difficult to find an Alliance, or start one. The Alliance rewards are reasonable and are giving a chance to players without a maxed out roster to earn some decent rewards without breaking the game economy. As usual on here the vocal minority complain and start multiple threads on it, the majority get on with winning.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just popping in to answer a question I've seen here and fill in some gaps:

- Everyone in the alliance gets the rewards at the end of the event.
    - In addition to the 50 HP "moved" from single-player progression rewards to alliance rewards (it's likely that more folks will get that reward than got the progression reward previously, so it both moved and got more generous), we made the remaining higher-end single-player progression rewards easier to get.

Appreciate the feedback, keep it coming!

Moving the 50 HP reward out of the reward structure for solo progression is a **** move aimed at forcing low- to mid-tier players to form alliances, as they are reliant on that reward for HP income.
    Did your play stats indicate not enough people creating and/or joining alliances to make alliance-based competition viable? Did you decide to change the rules to force their hand?

A larger problem with alliances is the effect on the game economy as a whole. Alliances open up more rewards to be handed out. To keep the game economy in check, that will eventually end up being 'compensated' for. Don't lie and say it won't: we've seen this happening before when shields were introduced and players became capable of reaching higher progression tiers and we've seen it again when the MMR bubble was expanded to 'improve' PvP match-making.
    The net effect will eventually, after a few iterations, be a substantially lowered value of placement or progression rewards for solo play. And that bites wind.
  • 1st in my player bracket but my alliance is in 173 place. I have scored over half of my alliances points lol. May need to jump ship to a more competitive alliance
  • I don't want to be in an alliance with random strangers, because that's not an alliance (to my mind). So I'm in an alliance with my OH. We both do pretty well as individuals, I've come first in a few PvP tournaments, but it's just the two of us.

So we have no chance of getting the blue Black Panther cover. This hardly seems fair, and it's not social gaming if you're in an alliance with random people you hooked up with on a forum or Steam group.
  • Madjam wrote:
    Maybe events should only allow you to participate in either the alliance prize pool or the solo prize pool. Prizes should also mirror each other. This would give a bonus to people who don't want to join alliances. Basically your points should only count in one or the other.
    I don't think this would work for one simple reason. All alliances have some players who will perform better, either by playing more than others or by having better roster. If you make them choose only one option then the weaker players would love to play in alliance since they know they can't win the top price alone and the top players who already place very high in events/tournaments would go for the solo play since they don't want to dragged down by players with weak strong rosters or players who don't play daily. So if you take out of the equation the older and stronger players who are more willing to spend HP in alliance slots, the alliance system would not bring that much to the devs. However, it could end up being beneficial for everyone since strong players would keep on winning in solo and weaker players would team up in order to win prizes in alliance tournaments. I doubt though they will go for that.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Since they asked us to keep the feedback coming...

I'm not a fan of *moving* rewards from the standard tourney structure to the alliance rewards. If you want to reward people for being in alliances, make it a bonus over and above the normal rewards. What you've done is NOT adding rewards, it is throwing in another hurdle (you must be in an alliance of at least x people with at least y activity) to existing rewards. Accordingly, I'm unhappy that the 3rd BP cover is an alliance reward now.

I do like having more iso available as tourney rewards. Thumbs up for that.

I do not think alliance scoring should simply be a total of all the members' scores. My suggestion would be take the total of the 5 highest scores.

-GK

I'm with this guy on both points. This way competition is still "fair" between large and small alliances. The large alliances still get a benefit from being big, but it's a benefit a small guild could compete with with sufficient dedication. Right now you could make an alliance of 50 people and win because each scored 100 points. That's lame. That's JUST pay to win.

Oh, and the reduction of the non-alliance rewards suck too. Alliances were sold as a bonus, not a tax.
  • SamBC wrote:
    I don't want to be in an alliance with random strangers, because that's not an alliance (to my mind). So I'm in an alliance with my OH. We both do pretty well as individuals, I've come first in a few PvP tournaments, but it's just the two of us.

So we have no chance of getting the blue Black Panther cover. This hardly seems fair, and it's not social gaming if you're in an alliance with random people you hooked up with on a forum or Steam group.

I have to ask Sam - why not?

If they're on the forums, you may have interacted with them, so they're not exactly 'random'.

Either way - you're not inviting people into your home. Your linking up with some players in the Eco-system of a game. Think of them as AI if you like, but it's not like being in an alliance with others can actually affect you IRL in any way, if you choose not to let them.

Up to you I guess. You pays your money, you makes your choice.