Champing one 5*, would I be screwed?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
I'm so sick of these pull-rates.
I got my Thor at 13 covers and Gambit at 8. Soon Gambit leaves the Latest pack and my hopes of fully covering him fades away. People always recommend to champ at least two 5*'s at the time to be able to fight properly in the enhanced MMR.
However I'm not much of a PVP player, I go for 575 / 900 in seldom events. Would this still be manageable with one champed 5* (Thor)?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thor's not too bad, though he doesn't really get going until he is at half Life. You can probably get some skips with a champion Thor, and I don't Think it would be that difficult to get to 900 with him champed.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

If you have only one champed 5*, most of your targets will have only one champed 5* as well.

I started with only DD champed and had no more difficulty reaching 900 than I had with champed 4*

• Quebbster
    Options
    mexus said:
    So, 
    I should champ Thor instead of a bunch of boring 4*s next and see if this brings new life into the game for me? At least he'll make PVE even faster and that's where my focus is.

As long as you are aware that the "new Life" means you will need to use Thor all the time in PvP at least. The fivestar tier is like the other tiers in the game, dipping your toe in it can be fun but when you only have a handful of characters in that tier at a useable level you don't get much variety. It gets better eventually when you get more useable characters though.
  • dadows
    dadows Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    I have one champed 5, DD a few weeks ago. Had no problem getting to 900 and he saves packs. Last 2 events I've scored over 1.5k, but it that is mostly due to getting in the right Line rooms.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thor is fine on offence (not as good as DD but fine) so getting 900 should not require much effort with him as a single 5* (just keep him at mid health when possible).

But as others said - he will be on 90% of your team from the moment you champion him. Two nodes in DDQ for speed, the PvE for his match damage (read - speed; and when boosted you will see how the PvE flies for the whales :)) and PvP (sometimes you might do better with two boosted 4* if they combo well with the featured - all depends a bit but the MMR with 1 5* is not that bad). 

• Magic
    Options
    If you champion Thor you will jump to 1 5* champion MMR. It should be ok (you will probably see some champ OML or Phoenix that are not as good as they were when this show has started). But if you max DD at 11 or 12 covers that will most likely put you in double champion MMR with Gambit on many teams. I would advise against that.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    Magic said:
    Thor is fine on offence (not as good as DD but fine) so getting 900 should not require much effort with him as a single 5* (just keep him at mid health when possible).

But as others said - he will be on 90% of your team from the moment you champion him. Two nodes in DDQ for speed, the PvE for his match damage (read - speed; and when boosted you will see how the PvE flies for the whales :)) and PvP (sometimes you might do better with two boosted 4* if they combo well with the featured - all depends a bit but the MMR with 1 5* is not that bad). 

My Daredevil is at 11 covers.
    My hopes are that Iron Fist will start giving him as champion reward which would take him to 12 + 1 useless purple.  Which is still not good enough but hey - it's something. Maybe i can save CP up and snatch the final cover once he lands in the HfH store again given it's not purple.
    How would that work? The 4* feeders give 5* covers in order from top to bottom. 

Daredevil's order is yellow, green, purple. If you're already at 11 covers, you would have to get a green and yellow cover before you get to a useless purple cover.

But if you're sitting at 11 covers and you need to get two in order to receive what would be an extra purple, then how would you still only be at 12 covers after that? 

I'm guessing your build is something like 3/3/5 or 2/4/5? In either case, the first two covers would be exactly what you need before getting to an extra purple. 

Unless your build is something like 1/5/5, but then you would have either an extra yellow or green before you ever got the extra purple. 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    mexus said:
    Magic said:

My Daredevil is at 11 covers.
    My hopes are that Iron Fist will start giving him as champion reward which would take him to 12 + 1 useless purple.  Which is still not good enough but hey - it's something. Maybe i can save CP up and snatch the final cover once he lands in the HfH store again given it's not purple.
    How would that work? The 4* feeders give 5* covers in order from top to bottom. 

Daredevil's order is yellow, green, purple. If you're already at 11 covers, you would have to get a green and yellow cover before you get to a useless purple cover.

But if you're sitting at 11 covers and you need to get two in order to receive what would be an extra purple, then how would you still only be at 12 covers after that? 

I'm guessing your build is something like 3/3/5 or 2/4/5? In either case, the first two covers would be exactly what you need before getting to an extra purple. 

Unless your build is something like 1/5/5, but then you would have either an extra yellow or green before you ever got the extra purple. 
    Easy as this:
    when I say purple I actually mean green.
    Yeah, that could be a possibility too. :tongue:
  • Magic
    Options
    mexus said:
    Magic said:
    If you champion Thor you will jump to 1 5* champion MMR. It should be ok (you will probably see some champ OML or Phoenix that are not as good as they were when this show has started). But if you max DD at 11 or 12 covers that will most likely put you in double champion MMR with Gambit on many teams. I would advise against that.
    So champ Thor = OK and lay back until I can champ another 5* before investing ISO into any of them?
    Thinking of champing Thor to make PVE even breezier.
    None of my 5* have so far had any crunch of the ISO 8 cake yet.
    Pretty much this. You should see the improvement in PvE experience due to match damage (and boosted he will look like an amazing beast). As far as the second one goes - it might be a question of who might work well with him as the PvP will become a different animal with two. If you champion Thor - don't stress about DD for the time being.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here was my most recent experience in PvP:

I have one 5* champed but it is Gambit so my experience would be somewhat different than yours.  The first 500 points or so you can hit all 4* rosters, after that you start seeing rosters with at least one 4* champ and usually another  high level 5* (but not champed 380-420).  This has been tough because I haven't put iso into any other 5* and have usually just used a boosted 4* that pairs ok with Gambit.  Once you reach around 800 points, the field is wide open and you start to get pounded by rosters with 2 champed 5* characters.  I can usually make 900 but 1200 is still difficult.  I have also discovered the complaints about 5* Gambit as far too OP are a lot of hype as I get beat on defense by other players in similar boat to me with only one champed 5*, usually DD or Thor, more than what the forums would leave you to believe.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as mexus. Have Thor fully covered with a 14th on the vine. Also have gambit max covered.

I wanna champ Thor, but like where I'm at right having every 4 except the last four releases champed. Also knee-deep in a getting a fully functional 3 star farm up and running with 14 of 20 champed so far.

Current PVP gameplay is usually to 650, maybe 800, and sometimes 900 depending on the character. So my biggest concern is PVP getting harder, because I find it to be a very stressful aspect of the game. 

Right now these feel like the salad days of the game for me, and I worry that going down the road of champing 5s is gonna be like when they were first introduced and just wrecked the game for many of us, myself included. Eventually I want to do it, but I want to be ready with at least 5-6 max-covered fives ready to go, which I'm rather near to already.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:

Right now these feel like the salad days of the game for me, and I worry that going down the road of champing 5s is gonna be like when they were first introduced and just wrecked the game for many of us, myself included. Eventually I want to do it, but I want to be ready with at least 5-6 max-covered fives ready to go, which I'm rather near to already.
    There's really no need to have 5 or 6 5s champed any more.

Currently you need Gambit.
    That's all you need.

Once he gets his deserved nerf, others become viable again, but you'll ever use a handful in PVP, anyway - Bolt, DD, Thor.

Once Gambit stops his chokehold over the meta, you'll see high level 4s come into play again, because they're much better than most 5s until the 5s are really, really big (500+).

PVE is easy enough without roster based scaling.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm sitting on a ready to max out 5* Hawkeye. I'm waiting to max him until I have a few more 5 stars ready to go.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    I'm sitting on a ready to max out 5* Hawkeye. I'm waiting to max him until I have a few more 5 stars ready to go.
    If you have either Carol or Coulson (or both) champed and don't mind the change in PvP MMR, I recommend champing Clint. The essential + Clint + either Carol or Coulson in PvP is an absolute terror to face

St4r-Lord works well too when he happens to be boosted, like this week. 3 AP Arrows speeds up Clint even more.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    If you have either Carol or Coulson (or both) champed and don't mind the change in PvP MMR, I recommend champing Clint. The essential + Clint + either Carol or Coulson in PvP is an absolute terror to face

St4r-Lord works well too when he happens to be boosted, like this week. 3 AP Arrows speeds up Clint even more.
    Hmm not a bad idea, i might have to max him out then.