Champion gambit?

Options
I have the cards and the iso to level gambit.  There is a huge 27 page discussion about nerfing gambit.  I  have this fear that since the subtle nerf didn’t work that an over nerf is around the corner.  Opinions on championing the character?

Please do not discuss the merit of nerf/no nerf as there is already an extensive discussion on the matter.

Comments

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is totally my fear as well.  I'm about to make him my only champ, and if he got nerfed into oblivion it would stink.  For what it's worth, I'm taking that chance, it could take 6 months, a year, or a nerf might never happen.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't think they will nerf him beyond reason. Might be another subtle nerf but he will still be worth having as a champ, imho.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Keep in mind that players want to nerf Gambit. Who knows if the devs do?  But let’s assume they understand how broken Gambit is and rebalance him.

The OML nerf did not make him unusable. Power creep? That was the bigger impact.  People still use OML.

It would also probably dramatically depress spending if they totally nerfed a character that people just spent thousands of dollars on.  

I would champ him.  I plan to champ him if I just get 4 more covers.
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    At this point, with how much people spent on digital day for him, I can't help but imagine how much they'd get whacked with in chargebacks if they altered him. I think it's more likely the typical circle will continue. Strong Character comes out, rules things for a few months, new 5* Character comes out who is tailored to take the old champ down. Imagine a 5* with abilities like "Every time a charged tile is destroyed, deal X damage to the enemy team (or stun the enemy who destroyed it)" or "Enemy passive powers do not work while NewCharacter is above XX% health." This way there's a new hot item to chase because everyone will want it to pull ahead of the old metal, instead of just making an existing character much worse all around. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have the cards and the iso to level gambit.  There is a huge 27 page discussion about nerfing gambit.  I  have this fear that since the subtle nerf didn’t work that an over nerf is around the corner.  Opinions on championing the character?

Please do not discuss the merit of nerf/no nerf as there is already an extensive discussion on the matter.

This is totally my fear as well.  I'm about to make him my only champ, and if he got nerfed into oblivion it would stink.  For what it's worth, I'm taking that chance, it could take 6 months, a year, or a nerf might never happen.
    How are your 4* champs looking?  I have Gambit (and DD) max-covered but just plan to softcap them to play with my 4s.  I really like the 4* tier of play and don't want to make them all obsolete because of one character.  That's just me though.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They're not nerfing him until he moves into Classics.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Champ him. Nothing else to say. 
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Anon said:
    They're not nerfing him until he moves into Classics.
    Which is a good argument to stop playing PvP until then.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champ him and enjoy him while you can. He will make a gigantic difference. If another nerf comes down the line... Eh, you will still have a champed fivestar. I doubt he would move from "best character in the game" straight to "completely unusable", they would probably settle for "pretty dang good".
    Besides, both Peter Parker and Daredevil have gotten fourstar feeders as soon as they moved out of Latest, so odds are good Gambit will get one too (likely Rogue). He will still drive sales for a while after that, so I think don't really expect a nerf before the summer at least.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If or when they do nerf him, it will be his black or his red.  Those two abilities are complained about exponentially more than his purple.  His purple, however is the one ability that can pretty much cancel out any other ability, or equalize any opponent advantage in the game.  If that's untouched he has a good chance to remain strong.  
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    he doesn't save health packs like OML does, he causes health pack sales, cause so many gambits out there u are taking damage just playing against him

• Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I waited till they announced the changes for the current season to see if they would nerf him. Even if they nerf him in the future, at least I could use him for a full season. Maybe you can wait till next season's announcement until you decide.