4* Cyclops vs. 4* Deadpool, next to champ advice

Yepyep
Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
Hey all, I’m ready to champ one of these. Putting aside the question of covers on the vine, what do you consider the better choice? Relative merits?

I like both. Could somewhat use ‘pool’s colors more though that’s a minor matter. Love and fear his black power. Less skilled at using Cyc, but have been SLAYED by him in the past. 

I would v much appreciate your advice! Cheers. 

P.S. Wasp is ready, too. Where would she fit in, here...?

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018

Cyke is great. One of my first champs but unfortunately I rarely use him, unless boosted. His R/Y/B competes with Peggy, whom is arguably better. Overall, Cyke does have great board control and is one of the best characters for a 1v1-3 scenario because all his skills work together.

XFDP I just champed after waiting 2 years! Haven't really used him though. His red is expensive, although the true heal is nice. The purple is lame to me, the damage is okay but the CDs are not always matched and when they expire they are ridiculously slow. You could pair with XFW, but his days are done, especially with his low health pool. His black is the best power and is often used to counter Medusa/Grocket teams

Wasp would personally be my pick of the 3. She is one of the best support characters in the game. Her yellow can grow to be devastating. Her blue can constantly steal (or do random damage) every turn, it's best not to bring a blue user. Her black does decent damage and has a nice stun for a reasonable cost. Pair her with C4rol and they will be best friends.

Hope this helps narrow it down for you. Good luck!

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    4clops is one of the best damage dealers in the 4* tier but he’s been a victim of powercreep and is just very good as opposed to the top.

XFDP has a unique skill with his passive which can always be useful, especially in situation where you’re punching above your weight class.

I’d go DP, but neither is a bad choice.
  • Slothkins
    Slothkins Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Have all three champed. I think Wasp is the best, but Cyke is very good as well. 
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I'd go with Wasp. Even not boosted, she can fit in with teams. Cyke is good, but like others have said, he's not that powerful unboosted anymore. XDP has uses, but I don't normally use him boosted or not. 
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    If you are struggling to play against 5s, then XFDP.  If you are just wanting someone solid that self-accelerates then Cyke.  Wasp can punch above her weight when boosted too, but you are really relying on the enemy matching her countdown, or boosting special tiles - not a great mechanic in the Gambit meta.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    All 3 are decent. Nothing is overwhelming in picking one over the others. In my history of use I used them in this order from most to least:
    Most - 4Cyke, 4Pool, Wasp - Least
    I prefer direct damage over creating and boosting special tiles.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    XFDP really needs somebody to generate red for that power to be efficient, it's expensive but gives excellent true healing and a decent punch. If you're still transitioning from 3-star to 4-star then IM40 is his best friend, but wholly inside the 4-star tier he doesn't really have an ideal partner to get him that AP. His black is more worthwhile now in this passive-centered meta than it was when he was first released. Purple is nice as a novelty, and can counter anyone who likes to shake up the board (Carnage etc.) but its damage per tile is low.

On the other hand, Cyclops' powers are designed to feed his red (for yellow, assuming it's your team's strongest colour; ideally you shouldn't have another red user) and his blue has a little bit of board shake going for it as a bonus.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I’ve got XF Deadpool fully covered as of yesterday, I just need about 115k iso to champ him. I’ve heard that XFDP works well with XF Wolverine, but how does the synergy actually work?
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Xfdp purple puts CD tiles on strongest color, and then xfw black destroys those tiles dealing some significant damage. It’s a nice synergy pair.
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    XFDP if an essential part of my anti Grocket+Guardian+_____ team. C4arol+Grocket+XFDP takes out that team in 2-3 turns (though you will need health packs) I'm still in 4* land though, so I see that team all the time in Sim

FWIW
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    I would consider Cyc the best standalone among those three.  He self-feeds, and both damage powers are high for the tier and have potential board shake.

That said, the other two may be more useful, depending on your situation.  XFDP is the best defense against 4* Grocket, so if you're heavy in PvP and seeing a lot of that, he's great for climbing.  Particularly if you have someone to tank for him (a high-level OML tanks both red and black, then heals it right back while 'Pool dishes out retribution).  Also has that great synergy with XFW, and you can get some mileage off those countdown tiles if you're pairing him with other characters that depend on their expiration (eg, C4rol).

Wasp, IMO, requires synergy to be useful, but when it's there she can throw a huge monkey wrench in your opponent's game.  On offense, you can bait the AI into matching her CDs for good damage and flip autogenerated tiles from the likes of Bl4de and C4ge.  The 1-turn CD is devastating on defense paired with C4rol and any tile generator.  I think of the three she's the best suited to complement the 5* tier, since several of them can protect tiles and work with her special generation and flipping.  If you lack a good partner for her, though, it's tough to build an offense on her skills alone.
  • Yepyep
    Seriously useful analysis, y'all. Many thanks.

The takeaway really is that all three of these are great champs to have but that all of them are more niche players. That makes sense, really, because as I champ deeper into the tier the next choice becomes less obvious. In other words, the C4rols and Peggies and Icemen scream CHAMP ME while these three have quieter voices...
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    You might also find the Character Discussion page useful too, @Yepyep

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's helpful to know what your roster situation is, as all compliment different characters well.

I have them ranked (in order): Cyclops, Wasp, Deadpool. 

I like Cyclops a lot.  Riri is very similar to him though (damage dealing blue that fuels a nuke red) and I think she is better.  Someone mentioned Peggy having a better blue/red kit as well.  He's one of the kings of single target damage in the tier but there are a lot of people who do what he does (self-fuel into a big nuke).

Wasp is very niche but so so good at her niche and is pretty unique.  She is one of the better support characters in the tier.  I play her for her Blue mostly.  For 6 AP she can drain 2 AP every turn or smack you for huge damage if you match her repeating 1-turn countdown.  Of all 9 powers available this is the best one in my opinion.  It requires you hold onto the blue though.  She pairs well with anyone who works off expired countdowns (Carol, Coulson, Drax) and anyone who makes protects (Falcon, Cage, Thing) that she can flip to strikes.

Deadpool has an expensive red and underwhelming purple.  Deadpool is on my Grocket counter-team that preserves packs (Deadpool, X-23, Medusa) but he's not on my best/fastest counter-team which is Rulk, Grocket, Carol.  That team can take out Rocket, Gamora and Medusa in like 3 turns at the expense of one health pack per battle.  If you have those three then Deadpool becomes much less necessary.

So it all depends on what you want and how far into the tier you are.

Offense = Cyclops
    Support = Wasp
    Defense = Deadpool

Let us know what you decide.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Like the others, I think it’s a close call and fine/fun whatever you choose. I recommend Cyclops because he's great on a lot of teams and really great when boosted. Plus his week is coming right up. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep said:
    Hey all, I’m ready to champ one of these. Putting aside the question of covers on the vine, what do you consider the better choice? Relative merits?

I like both. Could somewhat use ‘pool’s colors more though that’s a minor matter. Love and fear his black power. Less skilled at using Cyc, but have been SLAYED by him in the past. 

I would v much appreciate your advice! Cheers. 

P.S. Wasp is ready, too. Where would she fit in, here...?
    "Putting aside the question of covers on the vine..." ... say what? Why would you ever ... feh. Maybe the experts will be along shortly ...

* shimmery sci-fi noise signals the arrival of .... The Experts! *

"Yeeeep. Yeeeeep. Yepyep yepyep!"

"Yepyepyepyep!"

"Hmmmm."

"Ohh."

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh!"

"Sii-kuh-lops"

"SIGH-klops!"

"Yep!"

"Yepyepyep! Sigh-KLOPS!"

"Hmmmm."

"Suh-HIGH-klops?"

"No. Hmmm."

"Ded-pull! Ded-pull!"

"Deaaaad-poooo-ullll.!"

"Yep."

"Yepyep yepyep yepyep! Dehdpoohl."

"Hmmm."

"Hmmm."

"Dedpool."

"Si-klops."

"Dedpool?"

"Si-klops?"

"Hmmm."

"Hmmm."

"Book?"

"Book! Yepyep!"

"Yepyepyep yepyep!"

"Hmmm."

"Hmmmmmmmm."

"Vii-i-i-ighn."

"Book say 'vine.'"

"Vine. Yepyep!"

"Vi-i-i-i-i-ine. Yep! Yep! Yep! Yepyepyep! VINE!"

"Wasss-puh?"

" *gasp!* "

*BAMF!*

* Quivering, The Experts disappear in a puff of smoke, lips over their eyeballs *
    WOW! Nice... big lol and appreciations. 

But yes, covers on the vine are always determinative w/r/t this question and I didn’t need advice about that variable; I know how that works. The in-a-vacuum analysis has been incredibly helpful. Haven’t decided yet, though. I really want to champ AmChav but don’t have her fully covered yet. I might just bank iso until I do. 
  • Yepyep
    mexus said:
    I read a lot about the greatness of Cyclops but after champing him I was a disappointed - he's very dated. Solid board-control and OK damage, but honestly Riri does it better even without the board control. What they have in common is a blue smack that feeds a red super-smack.

Deadpool didn't disappoint me at all - basically since I never saw anyone ranking him top-tier. He works well in many teams and is the foundation of The Grocket Counter Team along with... Grocket. And Carol.
    His red has great potential but is a bit too expensive to come in handy but when it does a healthpack is saved.
    This is my line of thinking. Of these three, given my roster, DP4 is most useful. Wasp second but I don’t need that particular support currently given how I’ve been playing style-wise. I want AmChav most though. 
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    None yet. All 3 eventually.

Bank your iso until you get a 14th cover for someone.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’ve got XF Deadpool fully covered as of yesterday, I just need about 115k iso to champ him. I’ve heard that XFDP works well with XF Wolverine, but how does the synergy actually work?
    Deadpool's purple puts countdown tiles on the opponent's strongest color that deal damage when they're matched or destroyed.  Wolverine's Black destroys all of the tiles that are the opponent's strongest color, and deals damage on its own for each tile destroyed.  The one-two punch (7 purple, followed by 11 black) will almost always take down a 4-star, especially if one of your guys is boosted.
  • afsplat
    afsplat Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    I use Wasp with C4rol all the time. If you can get both champed it can carry you through a lot of PvP.