Oath of the Gatewatch 2: Unofficial Thread

Options
julianus
julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
edited May 2017 in MtGPQ Events

I couldn't find a thread summarizing the Oath of the Gatewatch 2 event, so I thought I'd start one here, though it won't be formatted as nicely as the official threads:

Rewards: Gold Tier
5 Ribbons: 400 Runes
10 Ribbons: Basic Booster Pack
15 Ribbons: 5 Mana Crystals
20 Ribbons: 700 Runes
25 Ribbons: Kaladesh Booster Pack
30 Ribbons: 15 Mana Crystals
35 Ribbons: 1000 Runes
45 Ribbons: 25 Mana Crystals
55 Ribbons: Kaladesh Booster Pack

1. Walker of the Wastes
Ribbons
2 - lose 5 or less creatures
1 - win in 5 rounds

Loyalty: 0 - gain 3 mana and give +1/+1 to one creature

Mana: Black +1

36 health

2. Reality Smasher
Ribbons
2 - take 8 or less damage
1 - take 60 or more

Loyalty: 3 - discard the first spell your opponent controls

Mana: Black/White/Red/Blue +1

112 health
Cards:

Creatures:

Blight Herder

Conduit of Ruin

Ruin Processor

3. Sylvan Advocate
Ribbons
2 - lose 3 or less creatures
1 - lose 6 or more

Loyalty: 6 - convert 6 gems to green mana and give +2/+2 to one creature

Mana: Green +2
White/Red +1

116 health
Cards:

Creatures:

Kozilek, the Great Distortion

Gladehart Cavalry

Sylvan Advocate

Matter Reshaper

Supports:

Captain's Claws

Zendikar Resurgent

Mirrorpool

4. Drana's Chosen
Ribbons
2 - cast 2 or less supports
1 - cast 8 or more supports

Loyalty: 0 - convert 3 gems to black and summon a 2/2 zombie

Mana: Black +2
red/Blue +1

118 health
Cards:
Creatures - Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Inverter of Truth, Reality Smasher, Matter Reshaper
Supports - Mirrorpool, Captain's Claws

5. Munda's Vanguard
Ribbons
2 - take 8 or less damage
1 - take 90 or more damage

Loyalty: 3 - all your creatures on the battlefield gain +1/+1

Mana: White +3
Green/Blue +1

121 health
Cards:
Creatures - Felidar Sovereign, Munda's Vanguard, Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim

6. Sphinx of the Final Word
Ribbons
2 - kill 2 or less enemy creatures
1 - kill 8 or more enemy creatures

Loyalty: 6 - give each of your creatures on the battlefield Hexproof, Flying, Reach and +3/+3

Mana: Blue +5
Black/White +3

278 health
Cards:
Creatures - Drowner of Hope, Jori En, Ruin Diver, Sphinx of the Final Word, Guardian of Tazeem, Deepfathom Skulker, Sire of Stagnation
Spells - Crush of Tentacles, Scatter to the Winds

7. Tyrant of Valakut
Ribbons
2 - Win with 10 or less health
1 - Win with 90 or more health

loyalty: 6 - deal 6 damage to your opponent and each creature on the field

Mana: Green +4 Red +5 Black +4

316 Health
Cards:

Creatures - Dragonmaster Outcast, Avaricious Dragon, Tyrant of Valakut, Akoum Firebird
Supports - Molten Vortex, Oath of Chandra
Spells - Kozilek's Return

8. Kozilek, the Great Distortion
Ribbons
2 - Cast 1 or less spells
1 - Cast 10 or more spells

loyalty: 6 - refill your hand, then gain 15 mana

Mana: +4 to all colours

412 Health
Cards:
Creatures - Linvala, the Preserver, Sphinx of the Final Word, Tyrant of Valakut, World Breaker, Inverter of Truth
Supports - Mirrorpool, Zendikar Resurgent
Spells - Remorseless Punishment

Comments

• julianus
    Options
    Updated with more information!
  • Demsu
    Demsu Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hey.

Has anyone have success with the Kozilek's "only 1 spell" objective ?

The objective seems excruciatingly painful. Ob/Liliana struggle with flying (usually with hexproof) creatures, Gideon's pump efforts are destroyed with Crush of Tentacles, and Worldbreakers destroy your supports that could build the setup for stabilizing constant flow of reinforces creatures.
  • Ironwolf
    Ironwolf Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The Tyrant second objective is up to its old tricks again. Finished with 10 hps and did not register. Wonderful to feel this game, for all the time put into it, hates the players and is programmed against us to frustrate.

Have a screenshot I'll be sending in along with the support ticket.

Anyone else?
  • julianus
    Options
    Updated with more information on opponent decks, and a list of the current gold tier rewards. The list won't be useful when the event is running, but might be good for planning ahead on crystal acquisition opportunities.

I'm guessing Oath 1 will have a similar set of rewards, at least for total runes and crystals.

Ironwolf - I haven't seen that happen with the Tyrant, but I'll keep an eye out on this round.
  • Ironwolf
    Ironwolf Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    They replied quickly to my support ticket and awarded me a random rare card (dupe).

This is the second time this happened on that objective (they honored my support tickets and awarded me a random rare in my inbox each time). I am working my way through the event again this week (maybe they repeated this event so soon to test a fix or gather more data?)

Thank you devs/support staff for your quick resolution to my tickets anyway. I will continue to take screenshots of this happening. I wonder - do the support staff/devs have access to the Battle Logs on their end? I imagine they must.
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Omg you muppets still haven't fixed the Tyrant battle. I finished on 1hp.....and i was given 65!!! after the battle. I had No life link at all.

Give me my janky dupe rare..

OGW%20Pt2%20-%20Tyrant%20Ending%201hp_zpsikx05zfj.png

OGW%20Pt2%20-%20Tyrant%20Ending%202_zpspgipgz68.png
  • Fedaykin
    Fedaykin Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I am wondering how it is possible to achieve the 2 ribbon secondary goal of only killing 2 or less enemy creatures in Battle 6 : Sphinx Of The Final Word. His ability of giving Hexproof, Flying, and Reach to all his creatures guarantees that you will have to attack (and kill) his creatures if there are more than 2 on the board. Menace won't bypass if there are 2 or more with Reach, and no spells will Disable or Disperse because of the Hexproof. Can someone tell me how to bypass his creatures and not attack them?
  • Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Fedaykin wrote:
    I am wondering how it is possible to achieve the 2 ribbon secondary goal of only killing 2 or less enemy creatures in Battle 6 : Sphinx Of The Final Word. His ability of giving Hexproof, Flying, and Reach to all his creatures guarantees that you will have to attack (and kill) his creatures if there are more than 2 on the board. Menace won't bypass if there are 2 or more with Reach, and no spells will Disable or Disperse because of the Hexproof. Can someone tell me how to bypass his creatures and not attack them?

Hexproof only affects spells that require you to target a particular creature. Mass bounce spells like Engulf the Shore or Crush of Tentacles (be careful that the latter isn't used on a full hand) work very well, but are both mythics so that might not be an option. Another option that may be used in conjunction with the above is cheap, easy to cast spells that get to the creatures before the AI can cast its ability. Anchor to the Aether isn't too bad, and if you have Baral's Expertise I find that the additional mana cost is worth it. Claustrophobia and things like Deadlock Trap (or Hixus if you have it) should also work at disabling the first creature, which might be of some benefit.

Other possibilities that I haven't tried but should work are:
    * A creatureless Ob Nix build to bypass the issue of your creatures killing theirs altogether.
    * Lock down the AI's deck with mana drain and/or discard spells. Will probably need a bit of bounce in there though.
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    Or play jace 2 and use things like reflector mage. harbinger of tides and other spell that return to hand. so he hasnt an opportunity to put the ability on them.
  • Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Or play jace 2 and use things like reflector mage. harbinger of tides and other spell that return to hand. so he hasnt an opportunity to put the ability on them.

Good suggestion with the creatures. I did consider including them when I talked about fast bounce options, although I'd still go with Anchor to the Aether and Baral's Expertise because they're cheaper than those two (I consider Baral to be cheap because of its second ability), which is key if you've only got a limited window to bounce them. Still, nothing wrong with using the creatures since J2's third ability will boost them quite nicely.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    disabled creatures via something like claustrophobia can
    also be bounced if you don't have the mythics.

HH
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    I havent bothered with this event..Valukat bugged twice...gave up
  • julianus
    Options
    Bumping with the event back this week.
  • Sirtsik
    Sirtsik Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Beat Sphinx of the final word and the two ribbon objective with Jace I thopter deck with claustrophobia and a few bounce spells and Harbringer of tides.