Heroes for Hire and the wrong 13th cover

Spiritclaw
Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
I've heard a rumor that if you have a character with 12 covers and you get a 13th cover you can't use, the heroes for hire store will offer to sell you the cover you actually need.  As it happens, I have a 4* Star Lord who is at 5/2/5, and a 3* Star Lord who I'm considering making my 3* bonus hero.  He's not going to give me the yellow cover I need at 183.  Can anyone tell me if the heroes for hire thing will happen? Is it the same deal as other 4* heroes in the store (3600 hp for the cover and a few extras?)

I'm concerned I may be misunderstanding this, and it might only apply to 5*s, or in some other way not be valid.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've seen it happen and I've seen it not happen.  From my experience it's been about 50/50.  I've also seen it appear like it wasn't going to happen then show up days later or show up right away and disappear in 2 days.  If it were me I wouldn't set a BH to get an unusable hoping for the magic deal because we don't really know how the magic works. I'd wait for the magic deal when you get one from normal means.
  • Spiritclaw
    Thank you, broll.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, @broll summed it up pretty well. The whole thing can be rather hit or miss, so I wouldn't necessarily set a BH to get a useless cover in the hours that it would trigger the offer. 

Another condition that seems to trigger the offer is having any variation on a 0/5/5 build and getting a 6th cover in either of your maxed powers. In those cases, sometimes there will be an offer for the cover you have zero in. I think the idea is they're letting you at least buy the one cover and giving you the opportunity to decide if you want to spend 240 CP to buy two more covers and save the one dying on the vine. 

To my knowledge, these deals only seem to be triggered for 4* characters. I haven't heard of anyone with a 5* at some variation of 2/5/5 (or 0/5/5) drawing a 6th cover then getting an offer for the last cover (or first in an empty power). The only reason 5*s are present in the HfH store is when they are the 5* essential in PvE.

And yes, when the offer is triggered it's like any other 4* offer, where you get the extra ISO and tokens for 3600 HP.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I've had at least 3 instances of the HFH offer triggering when a character was at 12 covers and I got the 13th cover in a colour already maxed at 5 (Gamora, Wasp & Thing) - in theory the same should happen in a few events if the Grocket yellow is the progression prize as expected

For Thing, I believe the offer was visible in HFH store almost immediately, for some of the others it seemed to coincide with the next Crash character offer becoming active in the store.

If you eventually find yourself in this situation with StarLord, its definitely worth checking the HFH store each day to see if its appearing (and making sure you keep 3600HP available)
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I had a 5/5/0 Chulk and was offered his black in HFH without having another cover on the vine.
  • DarthDeVo
    I had a 5/5/0 Chulk and was offered his black in HFH without having another cover on the vine.
    Huh. Well that's a new one. Maybe the secret rules have changed again. 
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    It happened a week ago, today. I've sold three or four of his green covers but got blue #5 a day or two before the offer appeared.
  • Spiritclaw
    Looks like if I play simulator I'll get the wrong 13th cover for Kingpin through progression.  Guess I can see if the offer pops up, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend 3,600 hp to complete Kingpin.  Not with Blade, Iceman, Star Lord, and Thor also sitting with 12 covers.
  • Spiritclaw
    Yep, not reliable.  My 2/5/5 Kingpin now has two yellow covers dying on the vine and no black cover on offer.
  • DarthDeVo
    Yep, not reliable.  My 2/5/5 Kingpin now has two yellow covers dying on the vine and no black cover on offer.
    Just to be on the safe side, wait a few days. Sometimes the offer doesn't come in until there's about 48 hours left on a Crash cycle. Since we just rotated to Clagger, wait until there's only about two days left before it switches to Carnage. You still might not get the offer, but they seem to like placing an artificial scarcity on the deal by limiting the amount of time available to purchase it. 
  • Spiritclaw
    ...and he showed up this morning.  Not prompt, but not entirely mythical either.
  • JohnnyBlood
    JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
    I'm beginning to think your character needs to be some combination of 5/5/2.  I've had the offer show up at least 3 times, all for characters at 5/5/2, and always with 2-3 days left in the current HfH rotation.  I recently had Nightcrawler at 4/5/3 with 2 reds on the vine, needing either a purple or a blue to achieve 13 covers.  Gone through this rotation of the HfH, one day left, and still no offer.  
  • Spiritclaw
    When I was able to purchase the Kingpin cover I mentioned above, I pulled a cover for my 5/2/5 Blade.  That cover has 3d and 1 hour left before deletion, and I haven't been offered a green cover to purchase in all that time.  Heck if I can guess the pattern.  I'll post if the sale shows up in the next day or two.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm beginning to think your character needs to be some combination of 5/5/2.  I've had the offer show up at least 3 times, all for characters at 5/5/2, and always with 2-3 days left in the current HfH rotation.  I recently had Nightcrawler at 4/5/3 with 2 reds on the vine, needing either a purple or a blue to achieve 13 covers.  Gone through this rotation of the HfH, one day left, and still no offer.  

I got an offer for America Chavez when mine was 3/5/4 with several yellows on the vine. Didn't buy it though since still had the SHIELD Simulator cover to get.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I have a 3/5/4 Hobofist, and now I have a blue cover in HfH to get me fully covered.  I'm tempted to buy but I've gotten a black and blue cover from tokens the past few weeks so I think I'll take my chances on getting a lucky BH Danny,
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a 3/5/4 Hobofist, and now I have a blue cover in HfH to get me fully covered.  I'm tempted to buy but I've gotten a black and blue cover from tokens the past few weeks so I think I'll take my chances on getting a lucky BH Danny,
    That's just the regular HfH offer since Iron Fist is featured in the Crash of the Titans as of today. The special offers tend to show up at the end of the cycle for some reason.
  • DarthDeVo
    edited February 2018
    Quebbster said:
    That's just the regular HfH offer since Iron Fist is featured in the Crash of the Titans as of today. The special offers tend to show up at the end of the cycle for some reason.
    Personally, I think it's to create an artificial sense of urgency. "You only have 48 hours to buy this or it's gone FOREVER. Oh, you don't have the 3600 HP to buy it right now?  Well as it turns out, you can tap on that gold icon up in the top right corner and actually buy enough HP to save your arbitrarily expiring cover! Hooray!"

Snark aside, I do appreciate that these offers exist, and have taken advantage of them from time to time. But I've also passed on several when I just didn't have the HP or ISO to take advantage of the deal. Sorry, not gonna drop extra real dollars to save a few covers when I already buy VIP each month. 

However, even though I've personally committed to not being persuaded by the artificial urgency, I'm pretty sure it's prompted some real money sales since they've been doing it this way.

Overall, I'd rather the offers exist with the artificial urgency than not exist at all. 
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Yes my new mantra is 'HP is only to be used for roster slots .... and sometimes to get that HFH offer'
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    edited February 2018
    Dropped 7,000 HP to pick up De4dpool and Flaptain (ugh). DP is now at 4/3/5 with a cover on the vine for another 12 days. I'll update with a report regarding the presence or absence of a 13th cover offer.

*edit* I also pulled an unusable 13th cover for Yondu today, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

*edit* Yondu cover appeared Feb 14 and was used to champ him. Pulled another Yondu cover with the 271 LT.

*edit* Also pulled a wrong 13th cover for C&D on Feb 14.