What am I doing wrong

2»

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not rostering a character (2-star or above) because you don't like them is very sub-optimal. That doesn't mean you're playing wrong, however. I mean, this is just a game. A never-ending grind of a game that has no finish beyond the servers going down. So what you do and how you play should be an experience you want it to be.

However, if you want good reasons to roster (or even champ) a character you don't like, here are some:

1. Required in DDQ (no loaners)
    2. Required in PvE (no loaners)
    3. Required in PvP - way better to have a boosted champ here over the loaner
    4. Champ rewards - this one shouldn't be overlooked. Champing all 2-stars and 3-stars and
          running a 2-star/3-star farm will give you a renewable resource of HP and CP. And
          covers! Twos feed the threes, threes feed the fours, and now fours feed the fives.
    5. Diverse rosters are the most flexible, strategically.

• DieMyDarling
    DieMyDarling Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    The way I do it now for required characters in DDQ and PVE is I just use my spare slot. I keep my covers for the full 30 days before I sell them so I always have 100-200 characters just sitting in my recruitable area, so when one of those calls for a character I don't need I just sell whomever is in my spare slot and almost always have a cover of who I need to rotate in for the necessary event. Obviously this does not work very well for PvP but works fine for DDQ and PVE. But I do have to sell off a lot of useless covers that end up hitting 30 days before I need them so that is clearly costing me. That also explains why I always have a huge pool of ISO to level all my used characters immediately because I'm not leveling every single character in the game. So I guess now I have to consider saving all my iso to seriously expand my roster (I have 76 slots now, which I thought was a lot but clearly is not).
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    30 days?? I want to play on the same server as you.
  • DieMyDarling
    DieMyDarling Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Dogface said:
    30 days?? I want to play on the same server as you.
    Whoops, typo.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    A new(er) player is going to run an ISO surplus until they start champing a lot of 3-stars. About halfway through champing all the 3-stars (yep, you need to champ them all) you'll encounter your first ISO deficit. You will never leave it from that point on.
    I experienced a second ISO surplus from the introduction of Shield Clearance Levels till just recently.  I've currently got 12 4*s champed.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    A new(er) player is going to run an ISO surplus until they start champing a lot of 3-stars. About halfway through champing all the 3-stars (yep, you need to champ them all) you'll encounter your first ISO deficit. You will never leave it from that point on.
    I experienced a second ISO surplus from the introduction of Shield Clearance Levels till just recently.  I've currently got 12 4*s champed.
    Yeah, there's often another surplus period while you're mostly just adding covers to 3* Champs. Then you get into leveling up 4*...
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Yeah, there's often another surplus period while you're mostly just adding covers to 3* Champs. Then you get into leveling up 4*...
    Yeah, at one point last year I had all the 3*s champed and was down to about four 4*s that weren't at their level max. Not counting the 5* tier, my total ISO debt was below 1 million. Even with the 5*s I had at the time, I don't think my overall debt was much above 1 million.

For the better part of last year, I was hoarding, but placing well enough in PvE that my roster was still growing at a decent rate and I felt like I was mostly staying on top of things.

Then somewhere around late spring or early summer, I think I was beginning to consistently hit 900 in PvP. More covers started accumulating. Then I cracked my hoard over the course of a month or so when Doc Ock rotated out and champed at least a dozen 4* in that time. 

But I got a lot of others up in the 11 to 13 cover range, and towards the end of the year I had more than a dozen 4* characters in the 13 Cover Club but nowhere near enough ISO to finish them off. 

I still have 10 characters there, and Ant-Man will join when Squirrel Girl gets to 265. Everyone else besides Nico, America, and Kraven have at least 10 covers.

Along with my progress into the 5* tier, my ISO debt is well into the millions.