Customizing Planeswalkers

ElfNeedsFood
ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
So the recent survey suggested the possibility to customize planeswalkers.  If we could do this, would this get neglected planeswalkers back into rotation or do you think it will lead to people just picking the best abilities in the 3 or 4 walkers they always use to match the deck of the day?

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Customizing them seems like a really neat idea, but the only problem is that it won't take long at all for people to figure out the "best" selection of traits, and then only those will be used and none of the rest will see play. They might be able to balance choices for a few walkers, but asking them to do that for as many planesawlkers currently exist seems like a far fetched dream that they will all have equally viable loyalty sets.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we are forgetting the part in the survey where they said that none of those features were actually scheduled to be released and that they just liked to know what players thought.

• ElfNeedsFood
    I’m not forgetting that this was just an idea, just surveying the community’s thoughts on the idea. 
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    The real question would be what sort of customization? There was no real information given at all and customization in a game with this many variables to play with can mean all sorts of things
  • SiakNiBatman
    SiakNiBatman Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Customizing abilities would be great. Especially for those planeswalker abilities that were very set specific - like energize or transform. As for meta just picking the "best" ability I think having more options to interact with cards allows for more experimenting and more variety in the meta.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would hope that customization would just be minor modifications to existing abilities.  Like making Sorin's ult give +3/+1 instead of +4/+0, or have Nahiri's second draw 1 card and destroy 2 gems but cost less (picking 2 random examples).  I wouldn't want a large range of choices and abilities for each walker, both for balance and strategy reasons.  Also, if the choices are permanent it could be an issue for newer players who don't realize the implications of their choice
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    I would hope that customization would just be minor modifications to existing abilities.  Like making Sorin's ult give +3/+1 instead of +4/+0, or have Nahiri's second draw 1 card and destroy 2 gems but cost less (picking 2 random examples).  I wouldn't want a large range of choices and abilities for each walker, both for balance and strategy reasons.  Also, if the choices are permanent it could be an issue for newer players who don't realize the implications of their choice

I Iove this idea of being able to spread around attributes! 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    I was thinking if one ability could imprint an existing card with cost associated with the casting cost of that card, that might be an interesting approach too. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    would make life far more interesting to say the least but not sure how it would be implemented or work but i would try it ;-) i like tinkering
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Customizing abilities would be great. Especially for those planeswalker abilities that were very set specific - like energize or transform. As for meta just picking the "best" ability I think having more options to interact with cards allows for more experimenting and more variety in the meta.
    I like the idea of making PW's like Arlinn Kord have a way to resurrect their relevance once their sets rotate out.

• TheDragonHermit
    morgue427 said:
    would make life far more interesting to say the least but not sure how it would be implemented or work but i would try it ;-) i like tinkering
    Well there is a fighting game made by one of the big three system companies, the one with the touch screen and characters from all sorts of different games, you know the one, well they made options to edit the stats and moves of the characters, and for tournaments it was decided that people have to use the stock abilities to prevent issues with too chaotic of a Meta. This makes me think that maybe it wouldn't work out too well here. (Man it is hard to use another game as an example while not mentioning that game)
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    I'm just going to take this opportunity to point out how awesome pre-KLD Saheeli was.  Her ult was basically Whir of Invention 4 times and that enabled some really cool support-centered combo decks.  Her #1 also only used to cost 6 and didn't energize, which I miss almost as much.  It would be really cool if we could get that Saheeli back, maybe once KLD block rotates out of Standard.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    i can see them basically using the abilties they have but being able to boost them higher at the cost of the other abilities perhaps the cost able to go down on the 3rd one with the draw back of others going up in response. Which could be great for some pws where some abilities just arent used much and could be sacrificed for the one that you use a lot
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    So the recent survey suggested the possibility to customize planeswalkers.  If we could do this, would this get neglected planeswalkers back into rotation or do you think it will lead to people just picking the best abilities in the 3 or 4 walkers they always use to match the deck of the day?
    I think what they really should do is allow us to replace the face of each walker with a **** uploaded photo of ourselves.  I, for one, would love every  player who faces my Liliana, the Last Hope, to see her face cropped out and replaced with this handsome mug  **see my profile photo**
  • ElfNeedsFood
    I think what they really should do is allow us to replace the face of each walker with a tinykitty uploaded photo of ourselves.  I, for one, would love every  player who faces my Liliana, the Last Hope, to see her face cropped out and replaced with this handsome mug  **see my profile photo**

I suppose shiny gamerpics is a form of customization I hadn't really considered...  :)
  • FindingHeart8
    edited January 2018
    I think what they really should do is allow us to replace the face of each walker with a tinykitty uploaded photo of ourselves.  I, for one, would love every  player who faces my Liliana, the Last Hope, to see her face cropped out and replaced with this handsome mug  **see my profile photo**

I suppose shiny gamerpics is a form of customization I hadn't really considered...  :)
    not gonna lie...if our photos on these forums were bigger I'd totally do it here too :D
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    (Disclaimer: I'm not a developer, so please consider my following comments as merely my own personal opinions)

I think foil Planeswalker images would be a neat idea. Maybe players could earn them by playing X games with them. For example, if you play 200 matches with Ajani Vengeant in Silver color mastery, then you get a special Silver foil image of Ajani Vengeant.
  • FindingHeart8
    Brigby said:
    (Disclaimer: I'm not a developer, so please consider my following comments as merely my own personal opinions)

I think foil Planeswalker images would be a neat idea. Maybe players could earn them by playing X games with them. For example, if you play 200 matches with Ajani Vengeant in Silver color mastery, then you get a special Silver foil image of Ajani Vengeant.
    I like it!  Maybe some alternative art of the planeswalkers as well :)
  • TheDragonHermit
    Brigby said:

I don't like it if only because that limits the unlocks for those at higher masteries. Nice consept, poor mechanism.
  • FindingHeart8
    i Vengeant.
    I don't like it if only because that limits the unlocks for those at higher masteries. Nice consept, poor mechanism.
    haters gotta hate, jk lol ;)

I suspect Octagon would chart it the same way it was with the dupes we were holding onto when booster crafting was released.  All players who have already played X matches with the planeswalker and are at the required tier (or above) would automatically get the alternative art or shiny art