PvE Point Recharge Rate

agent86ixagent86ix Age Unconfirmed Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
Trying to deepen my understanding of how PvE scoring/cooldowns work.  Any insight is appreciated.

Let's say that there are three players (Steve, Sam, and Peggy) playing a hypothetical 1-node 24h sub-event.  If it matters, let's say the node is worth 500 pts at full and 0 at empty.

Steve logs in immediately after the sub opens and plays 4 clears, then waits until the event is almost over and plays until the node isn't worth anything anymore.
Sam logs in immediately as well, plays 5 clears, then waits the same as Steve and then plays until the node is worthless.
Peggy logs in immediately and plays until the node is worthless, then waits the same as the others and plays until the node is worthless again.

Who wins the sub?  By how many points?

Comments

• agent86ixagent86ix Age Unconfirmed Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    OJSP said:
    Steve, by 166 pts over Sam and 333 pts over Peggy.
    Could you explain why?

As far as I can tell, the recharge rate is constant despite the number of clears, at 33% every 24 hours.  The penalty for a 5th clear is a 33% reduction.  Does the point penalty for clears increase as the number of clears increases?
  • agent86ixagent86ix Age Unconfirmed Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Ah, I think I understand now.

The "best" strategy involves getting the most points with the fewest number of penalties.  The more times a node is cleared, the more penalties incurred.  Thus, even though the node recharges at the same rate and the penalty value doesn't change, the problem lies in taking too many penalties.
  • bryduckbryduck Age Unconfirmed Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    OJSP said:7
    The 6th clear would also get a 33% penalty. Assuming instant clears and enough time to fully recharge a node:

Steve gets 500x4 + 500 + 333 + 167 (in reality, we would score 3-5 less points if this is the first node to refresh and the last one we grind).

Sam gets 500x4 + 333 + 333 + 167.

Peggy gets 500x4 + 333 + 167 + 167.

Normal nodes can be cleared 7 times before it becomes worthless and wave nodes can be cleared 5 times (with the timer starting after the 2nd clear).
    Wouldn't Sam's 6th number be higher than 333, since it was recharging all day? It would have started at 222, I believe, and gained the same 167 as Steve's, adding up to 389. No? And therefore his 7th would then also be higher.
  • StarfuryStarfury Age Unconfirmed Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    bryduck said:
    The 6th clear would also get a 33% penalty. Assuming instant clears and enough time to fully recharge a node:

Steve gets 500x4 + 500 + 333 + 167 (in reality, we would score 3-5 less points if this is the first node to refresh and the last one we grind).

Normal nodes can be cleared 7 times before it becomes worthless and wave nodes can be cleared 5 times (with the timer starting after the 2nd clear).
    Wouldn't Sam's 6th number be higher than 333, since it was recharging all day? It would have started at 222, I believe, and gained the same 167 as Steve's, adding up to 389. No? And therefore his 7th would then also be higher.

No, the node will recharge at most 167 points over 24 hours.

Sam's node would be worth 167 points after 5 clears and refresh to 333 points after 24 hours.

Starfury said:
    bryduck said:

No, the node will recharge at most 167 points over 24 hours.

Sam's node would be worth 167 points after 5 clears and refresh to 333 points after 24 hours.

Why only 167? I thought the decay was 1/3 of the current score? Or is it 1/3 of the original total?
    OJSP said:
    bryduck said:
    Why only 167? I thought the decay was 1/3 of the current score? Or is it 1/3 of the original total?
    1/3 of the full points/original total. Add: that's why the node becomes worthless after 3 clears from when the timer was started, irrespective to when we do the last (7th) clear (or 5th clear for wave nodes)
    Ahhh! I'm betting that's why some of us haven't been able to grasp the math more intuitively. (Btw, they could have instead set the node to zero out after N clears regardless of its current worth, adding to the perceived ambiguities. To be completely honest, I [obviously] hadn't paid all that much attention to the exact points potential unless I was fighting for a final placement.)