Getting really tired about cover loss

Tubesteak
Tubesteak Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
I currently have 5 covers that are slowly decaying that I can't apply.  This is so frustrating when I spend my command points for these covers and I can't use them.

I know this kind of thing has been talked about to death, but the fact that I currently have 5 covers sitting there (2 Medusa (a purple and a red), 2 4* Deadpool (both purple) and 1 Nova (yellow)) when each of these characters have free spots just sitting there.

I haven't seen anything official, but does anyone know if they plan on addressing this issue or are they raking in enough $$$ that they don't need to address one of the biggest complaints in the game.

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is no monetary incentive to fix cover loss. If you don't pull unusable dupes, you will spend less. Forum goers will stamp their feet and claim they won't spend until Issue X is fixed, but most of them are lying. And the 98% of players not on the forum will mostly go "oops, better buy more covers so I don't lose this one." 
  • Tubesteak
    That's pretty much what I figured. Unfortunately, I refuse to give them any money, so over the last few years, I've probably sold/wasted away about 2 dozen covers.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I've wasted way more than that, I'm sure. Don't think of it as wasted covers, think of it as a deferment in your iso debt.
    They did say in their answers about vaulting that they wanted to address this issue, and H4H store is the only thing we've seen that kinda comes close. Still wants you to spend money to save covers.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

If there are a lot of covers you cannot use, perhaps it would be wiser to save your CP until you are able to afford more roster slots. Just a thought.

But yeah, two dozen covers over a few years really isn't that bad. Sometimes you get Resources you have no use for, it's part of the game.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    There is no monetary incentive to fix cover loss. If you don't pull unusable dupes, you will spend less. Forum goers will stamp their feet and claim they won't spend until Issue X is fixed, but most of them are lying. And the 98% of players not on the forum will mostly go "oops, better buy more covers so I don't lose this one." 
    I wouldn't say there is 0 incentive, but it's pretty low.  I still think they could do this correctly where each time you get a dup you get a credit or some currency for it.  Then you spend so much of that credit/currency to pick a specific cover you want (including color).  Making it so that it take 5-15 dup sales to get 1 free cover (scaling by rarity) would both minimize the financial impact to people getting few wasted covers while also helping to address serious dilution and consumer frustration issues.  Even if the return wasn't great it would have a placebo effect that at least they did something.  That's my opinion anyway.
  • Tubesteak
    Quebbster said:

If there are a lot of covers you cannot use, perhaps it would be wiser to save your CP until you are able to afford more roster slots. Just a thought.

But yeah, two dozen covers over a few years really isn't that bad. Sometimes you get Resources you have no use for, it's part of the game.

Oh, I have plenty of CP for roster spots. Just all the covers I get are for 4* characters that already are maxed at 5 in that particular color.  That's the super annoying part.  I've had to struggle in the past to get enough CP to buy a roster spot for a new cover, but this is something else entirely.
  • veneretio
    veneretio Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Tubesteak said:
    That's pretty much what I figured. Unfortunately, I refuse to give them any money, so over the last few years, I've probably sold/wasted away about 2 dozen covers.
    Wouldn't you say it would make more sense to address issues for paying customers?
  • Tubesteak
    veneretio said:
    Tubesteak said:
    Wouldn't you say it would make more sense to address issues for paying customers?

I suspect paying customers are having similar issues to non-paying, including cover loss (unless you're dumping a lot of money into the game).

Plus, since there are theoretically more non-paying customers than paying, it might make sense to appease the non-paying in the hopes of turning them into paying customers.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tubesteak said:
    Quebbster said:

Oh, I have plenty of CP for roster spots. Just all the covers I get are for 4* characters that already are maxed at 5 in that particular color.  That's the super annoying part.  I've had to struggle in the past to get enough CP to buy a roster spot for a new cover, but this is something else entirely.

If you're waiting to collect 1000 CP to buy a roster slot then you're doing something wrong

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tubesteak said:
    Quebbster said:

If you're waiting to collect 1000 CP to buy a roster slot then you're doing something wrong

• Tubesteak
    Tubesteak said:
    Quebbster said:

In the early days it was a struggle to keep up with CP to buy roster slots. Not anymore. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tubesteak said:
    Tubesteak said:
    Quebbster said:

In the early days it was a struggle to keep up with CP to buy roster slots. Not anymore. 

The joke is that you don't buy roster slots with Command Points (the Little stars), you buy them with Hero Points (the gold coins). Command Points are mostly good for Legendary tokens (or more covers for characters you already have rostered), so the way you phrased it it sounded like you opened Legendary tokens as soon as you got enough Command Points (20 or 25 depending on whether you go with Classic or Latest).
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    If they eliminated cover loss, people would stop playing.  I know it's unintuitive, but that's human nature. People stop caring about rewards when the distribution of benefit from them flattens out.  This is why colorless covers is never going to happen. It's (unintuitively) bad game design.

I know my 1/10/2 R&G would definitely be nicer with a less annoying build, but that exact annoyance is an important part of the game. The fact that you're complaining is itself a way of getting more invested into things.  Your shared frustration with other players might seem like it's terrible, but it's actually a goal: it let's you identify as a part of a group of highly invested (read: addicted) players who can keep you playing simply by the inclusivity of their frustration.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    If they eliminated cover loss, people would stop playing.  I know it's unintuitive, but that's human nature. People stop caring about rewards when the distribution of benefit from them flattens out.  This is why colorless covers is never going to happen. It's (unintuitively) bad game design.
    The frustration from receiving unusable covers only really works if there is a credible chance of getting the needed covers to champ and make use of the others before they expire.  Things like the "complete a character" offers on the heroes for hire store show that they reckon people are willing to spend 3600 HP to make the frustration go away (I know I've taken up the offer a few times).  Customer service swapping 5* covers is essentially an admission that the rewards are too rare for wasted covers to induce more spending.

As for whether this is good or bad game design, it bears similarities to the "compu gacha" systems that were banned by the Japanese government.  What's good for the game developer is not always good for society as a whole.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suppose you are lacking iso. That is what I understood from reading your posts. Since you refuse to invest any money in this game, I guess you have to prioritise the characters that you have or start farming. If you are facing problems like getting 4/8/4 for your 4*, you could use 120 CPs to buy the covers required. It's a choice and there are four possible scenarios. 1) Use 120CPs to get a guaranteed colour cover that you want or 2) gamble with RNG: open 6 Classic or 3) wait for PvE that features your required 4* rewards. 4) Watch them fade away.

I face the same problem as you. I discarded a lot of  4* cover due to various reasons. I don't like the feelings as well but we have to make choices and recognise that not everything goes our way in life. You have to understand that D3 is not running a charity organisation. They have to strike a balance somewhere that would allow this game to be sustainable for the players and for them in the long run

On a side note, you are confusing CP and HP. I don't think you can purchase roster slot using CP.
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Tubesteak said:
    So you give them no money - so the 2 doz covers are worth effectively $0. So you've lost nothing?

And as I've said it before, ISO is the most expensive currency in the game. The cost for 1000 ISO is 20CP . You may get something else potentially worth more than that.  But the baseline is 20CP. 
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    I’d buy that for a dollar!
    Maybe I’d pay $1 US to cover swap a 4*...maybe
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I have all vintage 4*s champed, and 9/12 latest champed before America gets added. I have only 1 of the 3 non champs with 5 in a cover. And I just pulled that cover. Wonder what the odds are of pulling the 1 cover out of all available pulls that I couldn't use. Unusable covers never really disappear.