Moving to 4*

Options
donpidgeon
donpidgeon Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
I have finally rostered my last 3* now (still have several to champ), but I wondered about the move to 4* land.

I have lots of low-level 4* covers (highest is 2/5/3, but most are 4 covers or less).

My strategy during the 3* was that whenever I got a cover which I could not use (i.e 6 in a color) I put that hero as a bonus hero and surely during the 2 weeks it takes for a cover to time-out, I would have enough to champion them and not lose that extra cover.

4* bonus covers does not happen enough for this to be a viable strategy. So, how are you collecting covers in 4* land? I still need my HP for roster space so I can't just go and buy dozens of tokens. Should I use my CP for this? When? Or, if it's a non-vital 4* character, just live with it and sell it after 2 weeks if I didn't get lucky?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If I were you, I would prioritise the top five 4* that I want. Then, I would play whatever SCL in PvP that gives 4* as a progression/placement rewards. Alternatively, you could save up 18000 CPs to open 9000 Classic Tokens. By the time you save up these amount of CPs, you should have enough roster slots to house them all. Otherwise, start farming your three stars that give 4* as rewards. I'm sure other more experienced players can give better ideas.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Event Progression Rewards were the big one for me at that point. 3* Rewards will get you another here or there, but they're relatively slow.

Keep at least 120CP on hand, so when you pull an unusable cover for someone at 12, you can just buy the one you need. Other than that, pull classics when you don't have anything in your Queue, but stop the instant you get someone you either can't roster or can't train.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Like the others have said, PVE progression definitely helps a lot. I believe you have to play SCL 7 or higher. 

The 4* PVP progression cover happens at 900 points, which may be hard for you to hit, but at least try to get to 575 for 10 CP during each PVP event. That's half a Classic token right there.

Once you think you have a decent number of 3*s champed, set your 3* BH based on which 4* champ reward they give out. It may take a bit of time, but if you only pick one 3* BH at a time, you'll get there quicker. Once you have one 3* at level 183 (which yields the first 4* champ reward), switch to a different 3* BH since the next 4* reward isn't until level 223.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
    Options
       For me, I feel this is a difficult question and I'm not sure if there are too many that are qualified to answer for one reason:  vaulting is no longer a sure thing for 4* transitioners.  I was fortunate enough to open my mini hoard right before vaulting left, so I got a lot of covers for my current 4* champs that way.  Since then the 3X odds, for me, have not really been favorable at all for growing my 4* roster.  I seem to get just as many or more classic 4* than I get of any of the 3X odds characters.  For instance: Vulture has been in the 3X odds for awhile and I've only been able to get 4 covers for him.  In contrast, I don't remember Kate Bishop ever being vaulted while I was playing, yet I somehow have 9 covers for her (only 1 of those covers is from Hawkguy).

So that being said, first and foremost I would recommend rostering all the 4*s; they'll all help you in the long run.  I would recommend setting your bonus hero to someone like Carol, Peggy, or Riri or any other 4* that you feel would work really well with your current 3* roster.  My first champ was Carol and she works very, very well with lots of 3* teams and Riri is a beast as well especially with IM40.  (I'm working pretty hard to champ Peggy next because of her stun and AP cost increase for the opposing team.)  Or maybe even Vulture because he's still in 3X odds and is a great AP generator.  If you happen to get an unusable cover just sell it a few hours before it expires and move on.  Unfortunately, it's the long haul from here on out but hopefully with bonus heroes you can get there at least a little bit quicker.

On the bright side, however, there is an added benefit to the end of vaulting:  I've been able to roster every 4* which gets me 2 CP in Behemith DDQ every day and I keep getting closer and closer to getting the classic 4*s ready for Crash of the Titans in DDQ.  So while I'm not able to get vaulted characters champed quickly, I am at least able to make more 4/5* token pulls on a regular basis.
    Should I use my CP for this? When? Or, if it's a non-vital 4* character, just live with it and sell it after 2 weeks if I didn't get lucky?

I personally wouldn't spend that much CP yet, 5 pulls can get you a lot of good covers but, if you're close to a really good 4* champ, I would definitely consider it.