Kiora, Master of the Depths :Official Thread

124»

Comments

• Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    And another obscene incarnation of Kiora. Apparently you can do a lot of ugly reanimation stuff in blue/green.

Creatures (2)
    Prized Amalgam
    Scrapheap Scrounger

Spells (5)
    Seasons Past
    Rise from the Tides
    Gather the Pack
    Reclaim
    Stratus Walk

Supports (3)
    Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Prism Array
    Durable Handicraft

Use Gather the Pack to get stuff into your graveyard, then let the reanimation behind. Rise from the Tides triggers Prized Amalgam, killing your own creatures with Reclaim triggers Scrapheap Scrounger. Durable Handicraft boosts the already crazy stack.
    Seasons Past is a bit counterproductive as it puts stuff in hand and I am considering changing it for some more support stuff (unfortunately I don't have another quick mana generator).
    Everything else is just support. I found Stratus Walk to turn Scrounger into removal as it can hit fliers as well.

Other ideas are more than welcome!
  • Diabeetus
    Diabeetus Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Robheaded wrote:

This deck does get super boring fast.. It is funny to play for a bit.. Only thing more funny is running kambal, consoul of allocation and getting it out against a baral deck.. And sitting back and watching all the damage it can do.

The problem is getting him out. They really should lower his cost to cast. 20 is insane for a 4/4 creature that can be easily killed off.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    my version of kiora defying death deck.

creature

advanced stitchwing
    prized amalgam
    scrapheap scrounger

spell

pore over the pages
    broken concentration
    turn to frog(any kill spell)

support

ulvenwald mysteries
    sphinx's tutalege
    durable handicraft
    brawler's plate(will do for now. prism array
    might do well here if I ever get one)

not as serious as some other versions, but
    lots of fun.

HH
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    I've been using a Kiora/Baral deck with great efficiency. Only creature in the deck is Baral. Only Support is Metallurgic Summonings. The rest are all 3-mana spells (Haunted Cloak, Natural Connection, Imprissoned in Moon, etc.) as long as it costs no more than 3 mana. Ideally any ramp spells are permanent ramps, such as shard of glass, etc.

However, with Baral about to receive his Purple Heart and an honorable discharge, I put together a completely new Kiora deck and thought to share.

Creatures:
    Skysovereign Flagship 
    Aethersphere Harvester

Supports:
    Dynavolt Tower
    Aetherworks Marvel 
    Pyromacer's Goggles
    Deadlock Trap

Spells:
    Nissa's Renewal
    Seasons Past 
    Imprissoned in the Moon
    Talent of the Telepath

I know it is mostly mythics and a very tough deck to put together. But this is brutality in its fullest, with cascade after cascade, cards being pulled and played like nothing and life regenerating like crazy.

Note: due to its energizing requirement, I would not suggest this against Tezzeret at the RaTC event. You get burned pretty fast. But for pretty much anything else, it is a sight to behold.
  • Tilwin90
    Now that Baral combo is out it's time for more ramp madness (surprisingly I don't even care that much about Riskhar's Expertise - in fact most often I chain into it it fizzles as I only have 1 or 2 cards left in hand...).

Creatures
    Baral, Chief of Compliance

Supports
    Prism Array
    Part the Waterveil
    Fertile Thicket (to be replaced with Animist's Awakening)
    Panharmanicon (to be replaced with Ulvenwald Hydra)
    Insidious Will

Spells
    Riskhar's Expertise
    Nissa's Renewal
    Seasons Past
    Imprisoned in the Moon

The combo
    It's very important that you put Prism Array and Part the Waterveil out in this order. This way, on a 5-cascade, first you draw three cards from the array, then Waterveil gains you ten mana, powering up the drawn cards.
    Next it's all chaining Seasons Past/Renewal/Expertise to generate stacks of 6/6 Islands. This is extremely potent especially against decks that have plenty of removal.

Support cards
    Insidious Will and Moon are there to stop the opponent from doing much until you get to assemble the combo. Or if the combo doesn't last long enough and you need some extra turns to win. (IW is stupidly powerful in this deck)
    Panharmanicon draws cards. Baral does some damage and draws more cards. Both can keep the combo rolling. (but then again, Prism Array is so much better at this!)

Fertile Thicket is cute though not a must have. I guess I would replace it with Animist's Awakening had I had it.
    Also, if I had Ulvenwald Hydra it would definitely replace Panharmanicon as it doesn't do that much anyway. I find Rashmi a bit too expensive and she also stops the combo midair sometimes which is annoying (Prism already draws enough cards).
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker

Very nice @Tilwin90!

I have a near identical deck that I use regularly in TotP for the blue or green nodes.  

• Tilwin90
    Avacyn said:

Very nice @Tilwin90!

I have a near identical deck that I use regularly in TotP for the blue or green nodes.  

If you have Rashmi replace Rishkar with her. I hear she does wonders.
    I also don't think you need Turn to Frog either. Either add more gem conversion, Insidious Will (as it covers what Moon cannot cover in case) or maybe even Startled Awake (obscene mana generation).
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker

For a deck that relies on cascades, I prefer Rishkar over draw creatures like Rashmi. he's a consistent gem converter like Ulvenwald Hydra. Which increase my potential to trigger my support to spawn tokens. I would rather use Baral then Rashmi. his cheaper, bigger and gives spell mana for fraction of the cost. 

Dont get me wrong, I have some really fun cycling decks with Rashmi in my mono green PW. but for this deck, my focus is on promoting more cascades and Rishkar is great at it along side ulven hydra.

Tilwin90 said:
    I also don't think you need Turn to Frog either. Either add more gem conversion, Insidious Will (as it covers what Moon cannot cover in case) or maybe even Startled Awake (obscene mana generation).

I dont think I need it either. But I rather be safe then sorry for not having enough answers to creature spam. If I was to slot in IW I would replace Animist's Awakening for it. since AA is a bit unrelable with it conversions. 

• wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Tilwin90 said:
    And another obscene incarnation of Kiora. Apparently you can do a lot of ugly reanimation stuff in blue/green.

Creatures (2)
    Prized Amalgam
    Scrapheap Scrounger

Spells (5)
    Seasons Past
    Rise from the Tides
    Gather the Pack
    Reclaim
    Stratus Walk

Supports (3)
    Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Prism Array
    Durable Handicraft

Use Gather the Pack to get stuff into your graveyard, then let the reanimation behind. Rise from the Tides triggers Prized Amalgam, killing your own creatures with Reclaim triggers Scrapheap Scrounger. Durable Handicraft boosts the already crazy stack.
    Seasons Past is a bit counterproductive as it puts stuff in hand and I am considering changing it for some more support stuff (unfortunately I don't have another quick mana generator).
    Everything else is just support. I found Stratus Walk to turn Scrounger into removal as it can hit fliers as well.

Other ideas are more than welcome!
    Really digging this deck. 

I don't have "Season's Past" so I'm still looking for a good replacement (Grafstone, Drownyard, Yavimaya Coast?), but otherwise impressed with the synergy.

We need more deck ideas like this... light on the mythics, and can be built by casual players.
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    I know it's not "light on mythic", but this is my current favorite deck to play in Training Ground: (standard deck build)

Creatures: 1
    Shefet Monitor rare

Spells: 4
    Talent of the Telepath rare
    Animist's Awakening rare
    Pull from Tomorrow rare
    Slaughter Pact masterpiece

Supports: 5
    Sandwurm Convergence mythic
    Fraying Sanity mythic
    Jace's Sanctum rare
    Farm uncommon
    Sphinx's Tutelage uncommon

I'm sad to know that Greg can't cycle Shefet like I do, but I believe that he will annoy opponent's properly as long as he doesn't draw his lone creature right away.

• Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Okay, updated Kiora:

Creatures: 1
    Shefet Monitor

Supports: 2
    New Perspectives
    Riddleform

Spells: 7
    Uncage the Menagerie
    Beneath the Sands
    Animist's Awakening
    Desert of the Indomitable
    Desert of the Mindful
    Talent of the Telepath
    Pull from Tomorrow

Since I do not own Baral, this is the best I could come up with for combo. I think I may try it out against Bolas in the next RotGP.

• HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    Having some very fun times with this deck, that literally only uses cards from the most recent block!

Creatures (3):

Vizier of Many Faces
    Shefet Monitor
    Ramunap Hydra

Spells (7):
    Desert of the Mindful
    Desert of the Indomitable
    Hostile Desert

Nissa's Defeat
    Strategic Planning
    Hour of Promise

Key: cards in bold have the desert keyword

If you haven't already noticed, this deck is heavy on the desert theme, with five cards having synergy with the desert theme.  The idea is simple, while the deck early on has some low firepower, overtime... the deck becomes much more potent as certain cards become bigger and more dangerous.

Most notably, Ramunap Hydra will get bigger as more and more cards with the desert keyword go in the graveyard by any means.  So just because the first one isn't that bad, what about the second one, or the third?  The fact that it also has reach and trample only reinforces this - allowing for a surprise beefy blocker for a clutch stabilization.  Vizier of Many Faces is the deck's X factor.  7 mana, become even bigger than your biggest creature, and it can come back from the dead through embalm!  Shefet Monitor's more interesting, it's primary goal is to be cycled - not played - but it can be played normally in case of bad draws or the Vizier needs something to combo with.

Now to the spells, which is the bread and butter of this deck.  The three desert spells are the ignition switch of the deck as expected.  Desert of the Mindful and Indomitable both provide a nice boost to mana ramp and can trigger the other cards that play off them - namely the aforementioned Hydra, Hour of Promise, and Hostile Desert.  Hour of Promise is good already in the fact that it's 11 mana for 15 extra green gems on the board (if that doesn't trigger something, you're just highly unlucky!), but the kicker can also be a game changer.  Three deserts in the graveyard yields a bonus of an 8/8 zombie creature token!  Hostile Desert gives a massive buff once there's a number of deserts in the graveyard, +2/+2 for each one gets rather massive the longer the game drags on.  Endless Sands' inclusion is interesting for a reason: allowing you to get back cycled cards and get 6 mana refunded!  Which means you can cycle Shefet Monitor again, and again, and again...  Strategic Planning allows for two things: one is targeted card draws and speeds up the deck, and potentially gets key cards into the graveyard: deserts and sometimes the Vizier that can come back through embalm!
  • Geopunked
    Geopunked Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    My deck guys 

Creatures:
    - Champion of wit
    - Khenra resistant

Spells:
    - Gather the pack
    -Harvest season
    - Beneath the sand
    - Hour of promise (rishkar's expertise if you have it)
    - Fight/Survive
    - Day's undoing
    - Animist awakening
    - Green desert

This deck can put creatures with thousands of Hit Points in a few turns.
    Try it, it is awesome
  • _Yami_
    _Yami_ Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    The Maelstrom

- Creature -
    Baral, Chief of Compliance
    Deeproot Champion
    Tishana, Voice of Thunder

- Support -
    New Perspective

- Spell -
    Baral's Expertise