How do you start/create a clan?

0_efx_0
0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
I have been playing for about a year and half with random clans here and there. I’ve been placing very high and feel I need to find or create my own clan which will help me rank high.
But how do I create one? Never really looked into it until realizing how sorry players can be in the Apacolypse event. 

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Go to the Alliances subforum: https://forums.d3go.com/categories/mpq-Alliances

Then either post in the Single player looking for Alliance thread: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/59661/single-player-looking-for-an-alliance-post-here

Or just look through the threads of Alliances that are recruiting and see if you find one that suits your playstyle.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    @Quebbster I think the OP was asking about how to start an alliance. Your advice is great for finding one to join -- that's the advice I followed and it's good -- but how do people find each other for the purpose of creating a new alliance?

• 0_efx_0
    I answered my own question:
    When you’re not in an alliance, there is an in game option to create/start an alliance. It also costs 3500 ISO, I believe, to name and create.
    Simple, next you can ask players to join your team in the alliance forums.
    I created a clan and have asked players to join, it was tough, no one joined so I had no choice but to delete the clan I created and joined another’s clan.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    0_efx_0 said:
    When you’re not in an alliance, there is an in game option to create/start an alliance. It also costs 3500 ISO, I believe, to name and create.
    I created a clan and have asked players to join, it was tough, no one joined so I had no choice but to delete the clan I created and joined another’s clan.

That's really the big stumbling block: Why should people join you? Unless you have a Group ready, it is usually easier to just join an existing Alliance, at least in the beginning.
  • 0_efx_0
    Quebbster said:
    0_efx_0 said:

That's really the big stumbling block: Why should people join you? Unless you have a Group ready, it is usually easier to just join an existing Alliance, at least in the beginning.
    Because I’d lead players to victory...
    But nobody joined :/

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    0_efx_0 said:

But how will you have a group ready, unless you start one?

It's the perennial "I need experience to get a job, but I need a job to get experience" black hole
  • Yepyep
    Quebbster said:
    0_efx_0 said:

But how will you have a group ready, unless you start one?

It's the perennial "I need experience to get a job, but I need a job to get experience" black hole
    Exactly (and clever analogy, for sure). This is kind of what I was getting at with my question: how do people find each other for the purpose of creating a new alliance? 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

Catch 22, I'd have thought.  The Black Hole sucked.  (No pun intended.)

Back in the day it cost HP to start an alliance, it had 5 slots, and you had to pay more HP for each slot.  That meant that there was an incentive to join an existing alliance.  Now it costs less ISO than you get in one day of Daily Deadpool, and it's immediately 20 slots.

To answer your question, people starting an alliance together already know each other through interests outside MPQ, or they're in an existing alliance that's dying / not fun / something else and want to branch out on their own.

Create your alliance, make it public, and just be patient.  I can't speak for any other alliance, but I believe that generally people stick with an alliance because of the atmosphere.  Roaches (my alliance) started off with only me, but grew organically over time.  People join and ask if their friends can join.  No kicking except for protracted absence without prior warning, or moral turpitude, people hardly ever just leave, so we don't have a big turnover.

Getting people to join in the first place is the tricky thing.  From memory it took a month for Roaches to get even 5 members.  Choose a name that isn't too personal, or twee, or borderline obscene, but is something that captures the imagination of someone on the hunt for an alliance to call home.

I think that you won't have much luck with members because of a post here, most visitors are looking for a berth in a top-100 alliance.

What we really need is some form of alliance description, editable by commanders, which lets alliance hunters know what they can expect, and what's expected of them.

Ramble over.

• Yepyep
    Thanks, @Moon Roach, I thought it might be something like that. Way easer just to join another's alliance and move on if that one doesn't fit. I'm pretty happy in mine, really, and running an alliance seems like it would make this even yet more like a job...