**** America Chavez (Young Avengers) ****

Comments

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    So if she doesn't have the strongest color does the bonus damage not apply...if not she is probably the worst 4 in the game, if it does shes one of the best. Really no in between with her power set.
    So we have an answer to this?

Also do we have an answer as to whether or not other people’s traps work for her power?

Tried her with Fury's blue, didn't trigger her ability.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    She needs to tank the color to qualify the increased match damage.

@Daredevil217
    Thanos said:
    So if she doesn't have the strongest color does the bonus damage not apply...if not she is probably the worst 4 in the game, if it does shes one of the best. Really no in between with her power set.

Also do we have an answer as to whether or not other people’s traps work for her power?

This is likely the fastest start I’ve had with a new release (8 covers by the end of PVE) and she really sounds awful. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@Daredevil217
    Thanos said:

This is likely the fastest start I’ve had with a new release (8 covers by the end of PVE) and she really sounds awful. 
    I dunno, auto critical with half health Thor sounds like a blast in PVE.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor

@Daredevil217
    Thanos said:

I feel like she's pretty good. Since she's all passive and I turned off the animations I don't really know whats going on, but even just her pvp loaner has been useful. She's really just good for green, but if you get it going it should be easy to keep up.  Pair her with tile movers or stunners so you make more moves than the opponent and you're good. Her yellow is tough, but you only need to save one trap per color, there's no bonus to having all traps go off.  Any cascade is dangerous when she's around
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018

Fear Not, Mi Gente! - Green Passive

(PASSIVE) At the start of the turn, if you have more AP than the enemy in at least 5 colors: 

• Level 5: Deals 4077 damage.  Creates a Critical tile if you have more AP than the enemy in 3 colors

I'm telling you that this could be as good or better than Dr. Strange's Flames passive is in 3* land. 
    Now, say you 'only' get this passive damage to fire 3 times before you have to start using AP to use abilities, well that's 12K damage cumulatively as you are already working to build up that AP in the first place. It would be a different story if she spent AP to do this damage. 

The enemy AI will always use abilities as soon as they have the AP (unless building up for a 2nd teammates same-color power). Therefore you will have good chance to keep just-a-bit-higher AP pools easily, and continue this damage every 1-4 turns (more often vs goons, same as with Strange). 

Among a 4* team how strong is a crit-match-3? Depending on color roughly 1K - 2K (America red in the training team-up node does 90 damage, so it's 2K including her small AP damage bonus). Very often this is happening automatically just as the crit is placed on the board.
    With a 5* on the team this can get out of control. Note the critical is easier to qualify than the 4K damage. 
    So far with boosted 4's and half-dead boosted 5* DD making strike tiles, even an under-leveled America has been excellent.  

• DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    I've only got America at 1/0/1 myself right now, so my experience is really limited to using the loaner, but it definitely feels like a 3/5/5 build is the way to go.

I've seen some people suggest that Fear Not is just a drawback because you have to hold onto that AP and not spend it, but the entire Grocket metagame is built around beefing up match damage early. (As an aside, it'll take a while for America to tank Yellow and Green over Grocket for me, but I'd expect to see a few teams running those two with Rank 5 in Punch Everything in the near future)

• Rick_OShay
    edited December 2017
    Hope to start the battle with any match-4. This gets you 4AP in that color plus usually 2-3 other colors. I just qualified the 4K Me Gente damage from turn 3 throughout the entire battle in the team-up training node. Also as stated early on, you can start with a Stockpile AP boost. Fun!
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Admittedly, at first I was very underwhelmed by her on paper.

After trying out her loners, I want her!!!!! My America Chavez is only 0/1/0 though  :(

Also, what should her abbreviation be?
  • Katien
    Katien Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    AC has been fun to use in her PvP.  It will be interesting to see what teams she appears in when she is  covered.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Her green could have been a feature power for a 5* character even as is.  
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    5/3/5
    Katien said:
    AC has been fun to use in her PvP.  It will be interesting to see what teams she appears in when she is  covered.
    My first thoughts were Mockingbird, as another character that benefits from hoarding AP, and can fire powers without draining AP.  But they share their strongest two colours, so you'd need to have America at a higher level to make the most of her red power.  I suppose you could throw Vulture in there too for added AP gain (also, while he is airborne America might end up strongest in his colours).
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Katien said:
    My first thoughts were Mockingbird, as another character that benefits from hoarding AP, and can fire powers without draining AP.  But they share their strongest two colours, so you'd need to have America at a higher level to make the most of her red power.  I suppose you could throw Vulture in there too for added AP gain (also, while he is airborne America might end up strongest in his colours).
    She has a small bonus to her base tile values (IIRC like 10%?), so she'd tank as long as MB isn't too many levels ahead of her. Or like, if she's boosted and MB isn't
  • Rick_OShay
    I realize not everyone here can do this but half-dead 5* Thor earns AP at an amazing rate.
    Now, he will certainly tank green and red over America, but the point here is the acceleration toward earning the passive critical tile. Then, you will soon have her auto-damage kick in once you have 5 color pools higher than the enemy. 
    I played her and Thor along with boosted 5* Daredevil (also at less than 50% health when possible), and entire sub was completed so quickly. It was entertaining to the point of finally being disappointed, when I realized that I had everything completed already.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think her Green is a phenomenal power, but needing to tank for Red, and only using her own traps for Yellow really hurt her in my mind and being her down to lower mid tier in my opinion. But that’s the thing, I’ve seen vastly different opinions on her. Can’t wait until people start champing her so we can get an accurate assessment!

I think her obvious BFF is Mockingbird.  She also benefits from hoarding AP, but the crits from Chavez can either create a match 4/traps for you or you can leave it for a match 4/free power for them. 

And while usually you want to play characters with strong expensive nukes with Bobbi, I’d be interested in seeing something like Gamora for a third. If you can toss out a bunch of stuns and fill the board with purple specials both actively and passively it could be fun. 
  • consumedfire
    consumedfire Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Her green makes me start singing "God Bless America."

Critical tiles with 5* makes insane damage. I was able to beat the 5* essentials on SL 9 in EOTS with her and 5 Gambit & DD.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    I have been playing her with Carnage and Medusa. The AP from matching enemy attack tiles 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Has anybody gotten enough levels into her to figure out how her red works.  Her green is crazy good and is easily one of the best passives in the game (top 10 so I don't star an argument :) )  Her red just reads badly to me so I want to make sure I am reading it correctly because it seems like it has super high damage potential. 

First, I assume this power only works on tiles her symbol is on.  So, lets say she is slotted with 5 levels in this power this means for every ap in this color her damage is increased by 30% so if she had 5 ap in, lets say red, she would do the "damage for the match x 150%".  If she had 10 ap it would be "damage for the match x 300%" so if you had 30 ap in red you could reach an upper limit of 900% damage on her matches.  Is this correct and when does the attack damage get factored in before or after the % multiplier?  It seems to me her match damage could far exceed many of the 5's if handled correctly.

If my reading of her red power is  is wrong how does it work in the game, and is it actually good in practice, or is she better as a 3/5/5.  Her yellow does not seem to fire enough to be a really solid power but at this low of a level it is hard to tell :)  Also if you have her maxed could somebody throw out a couple of numbers on a typical match where you have between 5-15 ap just for a reference.  Thanks in advance.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    She's such a crazy snowball character. Once you get her green rolling you'll probably never lose it, because you're gaining almost double AP every turn. Either through auto critical matchs, or a 4/5 match setup.

I've yet to see a character that benefits so heavily from AP boosts.  Just need a single +all, or double +2 duo-color boost to get things moving in your favor.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sandmaker said:
    I've yet to see a character that benefits so heavily from AP boosts.  Just need a single +all, or double +2 duo-color boost to get things moving in your favor.
    Have you met Pre-Nerf Sentry?
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    First, I assume this power only works on tiles her symbol is on.  So, lets say she is slotted with 5 levels in this power this means for every ap in this color her damage is increased by 30% so if she had 5 ap in, lets say red, she would do the "damage for the match x 150%".  If she had 10 ap it would be "damage for the match x 300%" so if you had 30 ap in red you could reach an upper limit of 900% damage on her matches.  Is this correct and when does the attack damage get factored in before or after the % multiplier?  It seems to me her match damage could far exceed many of the 5's if handled correctly.
    Note that it is worded as "increase by" rather than "multiply by", so at 5 covers the multiplier for 5 AP would be 100% + 5 * 30% = 250%.  At 30 AP, you'll be doing 10 times the base damage.  As it is worded, I would be surprised if the multiplier affected anything other than match damage, so it won't improve strike tiles or any of her other passive power damage.

And as others have mentioned, her base match damage is higher than other characters of the same level.  So she might end up tanking more colours than you'd initially think.