Should the Dark Avengers be taken out of rotation?

Options
SpecSpecter
SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
edited December 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
So, Dark Avengers. A reference to a story arch in the comics so old that I wouldn't be surprised if most players wouldn't even have heard of it if it weren't for this fact MPQ weirdly hitched it's wagon to it and doesn't seem to want to let go, featuring more then a few characters many players possibly wouldn't even be aware of if they didn't somehow make it into the game as being playable. That in itself isn't that bad, but what does is how often Dark Avenger characters contest for the worst overall playable character of their rarity. True, sometimes it's not their fault, being not just super early characters much less ones specifically designed to be PvE fodder rather then choice playable options, but that being said... why have them playable at all? Being honest, how many people can say they actually like the Dark Avenger characters, much less use them regularly? Would it hurt anything if they simply went the way of Bagman and Yelena (or even Gorgon, who was never playable to begin with)? I certainly wouldn't.

If nothing else, taking them out of rotation would help undilute the token pool (even if just by a tiny bit) much less remove any temptation of 'updating' them  which would only make future PvE a bit more miserable with no gain.

Comments

• shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Nope. At this point we are all too far down the champ rewards rabbit hole to take them away, even if they stink as characters. There aren't any Dark Avengers above 3* rarity and at this point all but a few 3* characters are simple champ fodder for the vets (both whale and FTP).
  • SpecSpecter
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm really doubtful that removing the Dark Avengers from play would actually make much of an impact on people farming. I imagine most people who farm stuff like 2*s don't really care all that much about the character as they all basically give the same rewards. If anything removing the 2* Dark Avengers would only serve to concentrate the process and make farming all the more convenient. Or alternatively if they were taken out and replaced with other characters (like maybe to avoid the previous scenario) we would maybe get characters who's rewards actually mattered (considering that most of the DAs rewarded... yet more DAs). And hell, that way we would get new characters out of it to boot which is always fun (even for characters you might never bother using).

The 3* champions might be a bit of a different story as, yes, they require a bit more effort and investment, but 2*s cycle out so fast they really don't matter much one way or another.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I just want the dark avengers out of pve. Its boring obnoxious and they practically scale like 4stars 

Edit: yes I did mean pve I apologize. It was almost 1am afterall lol
  • SpecSpecter
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You mean PvE I assume? (though not having them in PvP wouldn'r be bad ether). Anyways, it's all part of MPQ's weird fixation on Dark Reign. Again going on the 'new characters' angle, MPQ could really do with pumping a bunch of new low-level villains into the game (or really just more villains in general). We have exactly, what, one Spider-Man themed PvE? Open up the floodgates there! Or what about X-Men, now that they aren't being treated like a four letter word? Those two alone have so many villain options both major and minor to go off of.

Seriously though, what is with MPQ's obsession with Dark Reign? Is it the favorite story arch of one of the developers or something? Secret Invasion (the much bigger story arch that proceeded and eventually allowed Dark Reign to happen) would have been a much better one to go off on in my opinion because if nothing else we would be able to fight Skrulls.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, I have no idea why they decided on Dark Reign as the source material for the story. I'm sure if they were to do it over it would have been very different. They must regret wasting a character spot for Hood and Ares, who will probably never make it to the MCU
    I like the idea of making them unplayable, assuming they compensate us well. But I would be cool with them limiting the dark avengers.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    When I started playing, the game was actually called Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (http://www.ign.com/games/marvel-puzzle-quest-dark-reign) . Is that where the concept of Iso-8 got introduced to the marvel books maybe? 
  • SpecSpecter
    Options
    I never once heard of ISO-8 so much as mentioned in the comics before, I've fairly certain it's 100% an in-game construct and nothing more.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Is it? I'm pretty sure it's shown up someplace or other
  • Adam12
    Adam12 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think ISO-8 came from Marvel Avengers Alliance, which was another Facebook/mobile game that preceded MPQ.

I just wish they'd finish the Dark Reign storyline.  They have half a dozen events building up a conflict and then no payoff, I assume the devs just got bored with that story.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Looks like it is being ret-conned into the comics now, but it started in the games: https://news.marvel.com/comics/25459/iso-8_evolves_in_the_marvel_universe/
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ISO is used in Future Fight as well, if I remember right. I might not, the game was such a trashcan fire that I deleted it almost immediately.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Straycat said:
    Yeah, I have no idea why they decided on Dark Reign as the source material for the story. I'm sure if they were to do it over it would have been very different. They must regret wasting a character spot for Hood and Ares, who will probably never make it to the MCU
    I like the idea of making them unplayable, assuming they compensate us well. But I would be cool with them limiting the dark avengers.
     Ares kinda sorta showed up in Thor: Ragnarok. There was a scene showing an exterior shot of a building featuring the likeness of several of the Grandmaster's previous champions, which included Beta Ray Bill and Ares.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love Daken. He helped me in the early days reach 2/3* land with his heal and strikes. I still use him everyday in DDQ. I also used Moonstone, Bullseye, and Area quite a bit in the early days. The lousy ones are Yelena, Rags and Sentry
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I sorta think that a condition of the marvel license is consistent branding of certain elements like iso 8 and no more than 10 shield levels.

The whole issue is whether is worth the Dev's time to essential go back and spend more time and money on old events.  DA chars are just stock assets now,  I can't remember a pve event released in the last 18 months that had a DA char.

you can of PVE releases as comic book issues.  Once they release the event, its sorta a snap shot in time of MPQ and I don't think they are interested in going back to revisit the "theming" of an event.  I.e.  how pissed off would the forum be if Thick as thieves had maggia goons swapped around with symbiotes and mindless ones?  and the Final match was 3*Gambit/ Blackbolt?

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Keep the DA, just slice their health so that they aren't all so dang tanky.  100k health enemies is no fun for anyone in a node you have to clear multiple times.