Repeat PvP attacks and a UI suggestion: marker to indicate previous hit

Yepyep
Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
edited December 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So I got to thinking about multiple attacks on the same player (triggered by this exchange: 6:12AM). 

Though it's not the biggest worry on my rosary, it is really so annoying to have been hit multiple times by the same opponent, particularly (only?) when they are much stronger than you are. I try to avoid doing it. But it can be next to impossible to keep track of whom you have and have not already attacked. Especially with so many cookie-cutter teams -- looking at you, Gamrockdusa.

I would be nice if there was an easy way to track this. It doesn't need to be anything fancy. Maybe a simple mark next to the player's name? This is assuming that the matching system is primitive enough that it can't prevent repeats, or there aren't enough appropriate opponents to prevent them, or both. It seems to me that a 3-hr moratorium on repeats is about right (tracking the shortest shield).

What are y'all's thoughts on this issue, generally? And any suggestions on how to avoid doing it? I'll propose in advance that simplistic, even if effective, suggestions like "pay better attention" or "keep notes" are not going to be that helpful, but thanks.

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ha. Hilarious to be the start of this discussion. You understand that sealbashing means I was likely hitting his team for 5-7 points per hit in the first 2 hours of the event to get to a shield position? And that he was losing maybe 1-3 points per hit?
    Normally this discussion is triggered by a dumping sniper stopping people hitting personal progression, or suppressing shard scores. Rarely it comes from a frontrunner sealbashing. These hits only happen at the very start before we shield up and bounce off alliance/BC mates to get to progression targets.

There's a whole world out there many don't seem or want to know about. Points do not magically appear. Progression doesn't come floating out of thin air. There are some very dedicated people making it happen for you.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Yepyep said:
    {snip} I try to avoid doing it. {snip}
    whut.

So you're telling me, you actively go after HARDER teams?  Given the choice between team A - fairly easy for your roster, and team B - equal or harder - you go after B?!

Really?!  In every case.

'cuz that's crazy-talk.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Clearly the OP has absolutely no idea how MMR works
  • Yepyep
    When MMR presents you the same 5 targets over and over no matter how much you skip, and 3 of those 5 are alliance members, guess who is getting hit?  And it will be as many times as desired until there are more Qs to be hit.  Or you unfortunately have an easy team to allow for easy iso farming.

Despite anything else that will come from this thread about the unspoken rules of pvp; or the “etiquette” it comes down to this - if you’re worth points, I’ll hit; if I’m farming and you’re an easy target, I’ll hit;  if you’re in an alliance I don’t particularly care for, I’ll hit.  One time, four times, forty times.
    This does make sense, obviously. I was just approaching it as a matter of courtesy, because I personally find it irritating to be serially thrashed by a much stronger player -- against whom I really can't retaliate. I actually wouldn't mind at all if I had even a prayer against such a player. Overall, I agree with your view of the game's ethic.

Daiches said:
    Ha. Hilarious to be the start of this discussion. [Clip]

Normally this discussion is triggered by a dumping sniper stopping people hitting personal progression, or suppressing shard scores. Rarely it comes from a frontrunner sealbashing. These hits only happen at the very start before we shield up and bounce off alliance/BC mates to get to progression targets.
    It's all good and I thought your linked comment was pretty hilarious, actually. I knew what you meant (and I thought the person on the other end of that discussion had ridiculously thin skin... His/her first comment to you was stupid and totally unprovoked, frankly.).

Good point about what normally triggers this discussion. I haven't seen many of them but I'm sure you're right. Mean spiritedness is not really what I was concerned with; rather, I was trying to address general good citizenship.

alaeth said:
    Yepyep said:
    whut.

So you're telling me, you actively go after HARDER teams?  Given the choice between team A - fairly easy for your roster, and team B - equal or harder - you go after B?!

Really?!  In every case.

'cuz that's crazy-talk.
    Of course not, lol! I was just trying to get a feel for the "etiquette" question. These responses are pretty instructive. But, yes, I will sometimes choose team B if I've already beat up on team A and I remember it...

alphabeta said:
    Clearly the OP has absolutely no idea how MMR works
    Meaningless, moronic reply? You've ably demonstrated how that works.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    I will say the mysteries of MMR being withheld from the players is something I would happily like to hear from the devs.  Despite how long I’ve played there’s still functionality that doesn’t make sense.

Add it on to the wish list of things I’d like from the devs in way of communication.
  • Yepyep
    edited December 2017

Yepyep said:
    ... It seems to me that a 3-hr moratorium on repeats is about right ....

What seems fine to you seems to me guaranteed to lock up PvP into unplayability for certain players.

Is that because there just aren't enough players to do that?

From your, Agony's, and Daiches's responses, players with far, far more experience here than I have, I'm gathering that I've been overly thin-skinned. If there is no such no-repeats ethic, putting aside petty vendettas and the like, then I'll stop worrying about it.

These kinds of responses were exactly what I was hoping for. Many thanks.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    i wish they actually incentivised people to attack the same target multiple times. Giving some sort of streak bonus for bashing the same person repeatedly. Would help break all the collusion in this game.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Hadronic said:
    i wish they actually incentivised people to attack the same target multiple times. Giving some sort of streak bonus for bashing the same person repeatedly. Would help break all the collusion in this game.
    Sure it would.  You'd never ever see two people colluding to just hit each other with progressively weaker teams happily ever after.  The end.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hadronic said:
    Sure it would.  You'd never ever see two people colluding to just hit each other with progressively weaker teams happily ever after.  The end.
    This is exactly what our ally does in the offseason to break up the grind. Try and hit with lower and lower teams.  It's fun. 
    Hadronic said:
    How many times would be too much?  Asking for a friend. 
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Yepyep said:
    alaeth said:
    Yepyep said:
    whut.

Really?!  In every case.

'cuz that's crazy-talk.
    Of course not, lol! I was just trying to get a feel for the "etiquette" question. These responses are pretty instructive. But, yes, I will sometimes choose team B if I've already beat up on team A and I remember it...
    In my opinion (remembering that opinions are like butt-holes)...

Given the choice between friendlies and a single player not in my circle of friends... I will hit that poor guy as many times as I can Q them.  As soon as another option presents itself, I will switch.

For example, climbing to first shield in "Predator and Prey" I hit the same target at least 6 or 8 times.

Yes, I felt a little bad, but honestly, it was them or my ally-mates... there was literally no other targets (aka friend-walled)