Windows PC edition appears to be using DEBUG builds of VC++ DLLs

_RiO_
_RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
There are users on Steam for which the game is failing to start on Windows 7. Atleast one user has managed to ascertain that this is due to a missing vcruntime140d.dll file.

Note the d-suffix? That means the game appears to be using the debug builds of the VC++ 2015 or 2017 redistributables.
(Sidenote: Yes, it can be either. MS kept the names of the files the same, as 2015 and 2017 are binary-compatible.)

That would go a long way towards explaining why the game continues to have the occasional performance problems, even on over-spec hardware. Would also explain the inflated system requirement of a 3.0 GHz CPU, which is downright ridiculous for this type of game.
Tagged:

Comments

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    According to an error report I got it indeed has to do with the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable. However, the problem I encountered was with the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

Reinstalling the 2015 or 2017 version didn't help. I even downloaded said dll file (which is not the best idea, I know), but it resulted in another error report, this time the problem was with ntdll.dll

Personally I think they're trying to phase out older OS, like they did previously with XP. If that's indeed the case, a heads up would have been nice.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

My home PC is Windows 7, and a whole heap of Steam games both old and new work fine on it.  Should MPQ no longer support 7, I'll have the choice between getting a new PC or losing my alternate Wolveroach account.

Windows 10 sucks mightily, with its telemetry and unwanted and unannounced overnight reboots (work PC, I'm looking at (and using) you).

It would be nice to have some comment from the devs as to continued support for windows versions.  There's no point playing if it's dead in a month or whatever.

I wonder what the distribution of MPQ players is over operating system versions.  If 20% are still playing on Windows 7, that might be too many to lose at a stroke.  Unless there are no whales in that group, of course.

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Getting W10 would mean a serious investment for me. And for now it's just MPQ that doesn't run on Steam. Another game on there runs just fine
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    My desktop does not have Windows 10 intentionally. If an upgrade is required, I'll just delete MPQ.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin

My home PC is Windows 7, and a whole heap of Steam games both old and new work fine on it.  Should MPQ no longer support 7, I'll have the choice between getting a new PC or losing my alternate Wolveroach account.

Windows 10 sucks mightily, with its telemetry and unwanted and unannounced overnight reboots (work PC, I'm looking at (and using) you).

It would be nice to have some comment from the devs as to continued support for windows versions.  There's no point playing if it's dead in a month or whatever.

I wonder what the distribution of MPQ players is over operating system versions.  If 20% are still playing on Windows 7, that might be too many to lose at a stroke.  Unless there are no whales in that group, of course.

As of R140, the minimum requirement for MPQ is Windows 7. The development team is currently investigating why there are some players unable to load into the game, even though they are running the minimum level operating system.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. We have updated a setting on Steam that may have had something to do with this issue. If players could please update the game, or try loading in if you have auto-update enabled, and see if that allows you to load the game.

Thanks!