Options
    the question is will players favour origins cards over cards
    in other sets? I currently prefer harbinger of the tides over
    the other bounce cards, new or old.

HH
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    hmmm I wonder if in a while after booster crafting is released, I'm going to be facing a lot of decks with the same staple cards :neutral:
    we probably will. mtg games tend to gravitate to similar decks for everyone that has the cards to build them, until new better cards are released to supplant them. 
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hmmm I wonder if in a while after booster crafting is released, I'm going to be facing a lot of decks with the same staple cards :neutral:
    Ermm, you mean you don't already?
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I will complete my origins set and move on from there. Then again it looks like origins will maybe rotate out so maybe I should just hold on to my orbs and wait for discounted crafting. I’m already doing alright without the cards I don’t have. 
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They said origins will stay, so you are safe :)
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The thing about "facing decks with similar builds and cards" that people keep mentioning is that it means you don't have to worry as much about what you might be facing, if that really does end up coming to pass. The problem I do see with this is mostly that it could lead to a boring meta, as more and more people start building decks the same way. What I don't see as problematic is the difficulty level. There are viable strategies for facing all sorts of decks. No deck is truly "unbeatable", especially with how dumb the AI is. If people really do start playing the same deck as everyone else, then that will minimize the level of unpredictability you can expect.

Oh, you're matched up against Dovin Baan? Welp, time to sideboard the support destruction.

Also, I think the majority of people who stand to gain from booster crafting are here on the forums, and over on Facebook and Reddit, and they probably comprise a minority of the total player base. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if most active players lacked the foresight or knowledge to start saving duplicates early this year when crafting was first hinted at by Hibernum. So I also don't think many people will be in a good position to truly take advantage of what this update will offer.

I'm lucky for a number of reasons. I had plenty of warning about this (I'll be getting just over 140K orbs upon conversion). I have a pretty great collection, with 89/184 mythics, 273/309 rares, 463/465 uncommons, all commons, and many of those mythics and rares are top-tier cards. And finally, the gaps that do exist in my collection are small enough that I can reasonably target everything I actually want right now without breaking the bank.

Most people won't be able to make similar claims, which I think will minimize the amount of similarity that we'll see, at least at the beginning. As time goes on, sure, more people will gather more of the important cards, and things might level out. But that's where the constant flow of new sets and cards (one of the greatest aspects of MTG is this continuous diversity) will come into play. Those new cards will keep the game fresh and "alive". And since Oktagon has had the foresight to charge us more to craft these new sets, I think that will still ensure some degree of diversity as the game progresses.
  • Kyphonis
    Kyphonis Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Everyone here has a lot of good ideas and analysis about what they predict is going to be the scenario coming out of this. However, what I Most look forward to is seeing the creativity. Yes, in mtg people gravitate towards the strong. However I’ve always loved to tinker when there is less on the line and being able to get those key cards I’ve wanted for ages feels glorious. 

On that note, as much as I’m longing for some of the mythics I’m looking to max out origin rares first, as well as a few key ones from other sets. Then turn to maxing Origins as it looks like it will be a base set on a permanent basis.