5* Tier Guide and Ranking (new poll opened - 12 Mar 18)

Comments

• poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker

FierceKiwi wrote:
    LEVEL 255
    1 Cover: Yellow ... create 232 Yellow Protect
    Red ... 1619 Damage
    Blue ... 1 Turn random stun
    Green ... Destroys 3 random tiles (Doesn't generate AP)
    Black ... 232 Black Strike Tile
    Purple ... Drains 3 AP from 2 random colors

2 Covers: Yellow ... 278 Yellow Protect
    Red ... 1937 Damage
    Blue ... 1 Turn random stun
    Green ... Destroys 3 random tiles (Doesn't generate AP)
    Black ... 278 Black Strike
    Purple ... Drains 3 AP from 2 random colors

3 Covers: Yellow ... 325 Yellow Protect
    Red ... 2256 Damage
    Blue ... Random 2 turn stun
    Green ... Destroy 4 Random tiles (Doesn't generate AP)
    Black ... 325 Black Strike
    Purple ... Drains 3 AP from 3 random colors

4 Covers:
      Pumpkin Bomb CDs reduced from 3 turns to 2.

5 Covers: Yellow ... 358 Yellow Protect
    Red ... 2482 Damage
    Black ... 358 Black Strike

LEVEL 450
    3 Covers: Yellow ... 1306 Black Strike
    Red ... 9067 Damage
    Black ... 1306 Black Strike

4 Covers:
      Pumpkin Bomb CDs reduced from 3 turns to 2.

5 Covers: Yellow ... 1439 Yellow Protect
    Red ... 9974 Damage
    Black ... 1439 Black Strike

@atomzed I had to test it since I never use other than red bombs normally but it definitely steals more than 3 ap per bomb. Also here is the ability description from another thread
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Top 2 are Gambit and Black Bolt. Now number 3 is interesting. Thanos or Daredevil?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Revealed 11th (SS) and 10th (GladiaThor) character in the ranking. Finally down to less than half to go!
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Anon said:
    Top 2 are Gambit and Black Bolt. Now number 3 is interesting. Thanos or Daredevil?
    I'd say 3 is tied between daredevil and spiderman.

Thanos being 4 and Hawkeye being 5
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    My take

Gambit (still)
    Bolt
    Thanos
    Hawkeye
    5DD (swappable)
    Spidey (swappable)
    Panther

But I can see DarkPhoenix' rearrangement readily too.

• jki_23
    jki_23 Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I know it is early, how would you guys see Archangel on the list? 
  • atomzed
    edited December 2017
    @jki_23, i see Archangel as low tier, maybe lower than OML. AA doesn't strike hard and has no true heal. Ap denial sounds great on paper, but that's best on dwfence. On offence, i rather have a move that kills off the enemy team. 
  • atomzed
    Finished the write up for 9th (Phoenix), 8th (Peter Parker) and 7th (Hawkeye). 

Last 6 to go!
  • Anon
    atomzed said:
    Finished the write up for 9th (Phoenix), 8th (Peter Parker) and 7th (Hawkeye). 

Last 6 to go!
    Wow really? That's.... unexpected to say the least.
  • atomzed
    @Anon which are the ones you found surprising? personally i think among the 6th to 18th, they are all very close in terms of power. 19th and 20th is trash tier. 5 and above are all better in power than the rest. 
  • Anon
    atomzed said:
    @Anon which are the ones you found surprising? personally i think among the 6th to 18th, they are all very close in terms of power. 19th and 20th is trash tier. 5 and above are all better in power than the rest. 
    I figured Spiderman would be top 5.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    atomzed said:
    I heard of level 550 teams being beaten by HE teams
    Hawkeye was my first 5* champion and the pairing with Coulson was so good that I spend 240cp to finish and champion Coulson (had 2-3 covers expiring too). To beat 550 teams, use xfdp instead of carol. Against any stronger team, you rather bring xfdp. His enforcer gets the ball rolling without having to collect any ap. Also in the cases where you run out of blue tiles to convert to countdowns, xfdp allows you to make good use of red by providing another outlet. It’s not uncommon to deplete red and blue and have both fill up to 30 every turn. The pain about this team was watching all the animations. At least you can turn it off now. 
  • jki_23
    @atomzed When will you publish the rest? Very excited about this ranking and really looking forward for the results.

My take on top 5 is

1. Gambit
    2. Bolt
    3. Thanos
    4. Daredevil
    5. Panther
  • atomzed
    jki_23 said:
    @atomzed When will you publish the rest? Very excited about this ranking and really looking forward for the results.

My take on top 5 is

1. Gambit
    2. Bolt
    3. Thanos
    4. Daredevil
    5. Panther
    Hi jki, my apologies, i have been busy with work recently, so i have not been able to work on this. My target is to complete this by the end of the week. *fingers crossed*
  • jki_23
    @atomzed 

No worries man. Just checking and definitely not pushing you on this. A very good write up overall. Excellent job.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    I just want to mention while this is fun this is a severely flawed ranking.
    How many of those who participated in the vote own all of the 5*?
    If you don't then your rating will be heavily skewed towards what you own.
    As one who has all of the 5* but for Thor and Arcangel champed I can tell you that much of the low rating for characters like IM46, Cap, and BSSM is because there are but a handful of players who have them.
    You know which 5* probably has the largest impact on a 4* player's game in the current meta? Purple covers in BSSM which turns all those grocket strikes to nothing. If you had an 0/0/4-5 BSSM you could run over all of those teams. It is one of the few 5* which has relevance at a single colored cover especially in the current 4* meta.
    You know how I know that? I have the character. I use the character. I'm not just guessing. I'd guess a very high percentage of your panel doesn't have more than 5 of 20 champed. Their votes are flawed because they know nothing about the other fifteen.
    Even though it hasn't been revealed DD as a top 6 is an example of this. Any character which requires you to have to go retreat it down to less than 50% health to be useful is a bad design. The reason this is so high is because of this workaround and the hoards which were recently cracked making DD one of the two or three champs most players have.
    My ultimate reason for why this should not be rated this high is this. If you see a level 500 DD do you immediately skip or do you realize it does nothing until its at half life and you have the power to kill it at that point?
    I bet you skip lvl 500 im 46 or silver surfer, or phoenix, or oml, or almost everyone on that list under 6th because they'll fire something which might one shot you; even by the incredibly stupid AI.
    I know any team which has either Thor or DD is easy because they can be ignored over the other teammate which is always more dangerous.
    I'd really like to know the 5* ownership of the panel which scored this.
    The scores should be reworked with weighting of ownership cutting down on the score by the players and invalidation of anyone who doesn't own the 5* they rated.

I'm pretty sure a Mercedes is a smoother ride than my 10-yo Saturn but in a vacuum I can only go with what I know which is what this ranking reflects.

With all this being said even with the flaws we will arrive at the same top two; Gambit and Bolt. Its just below that I probably disagree with every other placement. But that's because I've played the game with most of them.
  • Kingsoftheworl
    Kingsoftheworl Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I did it. 18 champed 5*, all but BSSM and Captain (plus Archangel). Do you think my opinion counts?
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I just want to mention while this is fun this is a severely flawed ranking.
    If you don't then your rating will be heavily skewed towards what you own.
    As one who has all of the 5* but for Thor and Arcangel champed I can tell you that much of the low rating for characters like IM46, Cap, and BSSM is because there are but a handful of players who have them.
    You know which 5* probably has the largest impact on a 4* player's game in the current meta? Purple covers in BSSM which turns all those grocket strikes to nothing. If you had an 0/0/4-5 BSSM you could run over all of those teams. It is one of the few 5* which has relevance at a single colored cover especially in the current 4* meta.
    You know how I know that? I have the character. I use the character. I'm not just guessing. I'd guess a very high percentage of your panel doesn't have more than 5 of 20 champed. Their votes are flawed because they know nothing about the other fifteen.
    Even though it hasn't been revealed DD as a top 6 is an example of this. Any character which requires you to have to go retreat it down to less than 50% health to be useful is a bad design. The reason this is so high is because of this workaround and the hoards which were recently cracked making DD one of the two or three champs most players have.
    My ultimate reason for why this should not be rated this high is this. If you see a level 500 DD do you immediately skip or do you realize it does nothing until its at half life and you have the power to kill it at that point?
    I bet you skip lvl 500 im 46 or silver surfer, or phoenix, or oml, or almost everyone on that list under 6th because they'll fire something which might one shot you; even by the incredibly stupid AI.
    I know any team which has either Thor or DD is easy because they can be ignored over the other teammate which is always more dangerous.
    I'd really like to know the 5* ownership of the panel which scored this.
    The scores should be reworked with weighting of ownership cutting down on the score by the players and invalidation of anyone who doesn't own the 5* they rated.

I'm pretty sure a Mercedes is a smoother ride than my 10-yo Saturn but in a vacuum I can only go with what I know which is what this ranking reflects.

With all this being said even with the flaws we will arrive at the same top two; Gambit and Bolt. Its just below that I probably disagree with every other placement. But that's because I've played the game with most of them.
    I totally agree with this. These kind of lists are really only relevant if the people making them have tried all of characters and can give an informed insight. Personally, I'd love to see your personal tier list, both for offense and defense.

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    @Colognoisseur: personally I think your opinion is skewed towards older 5*s because yours happen to have a lot of champion levels. The feel you get when playing 500+s vs experience with 450s is not a fair comparison. I have 18 champed 5*s (and all below 470), all but Archangel, Cap and Banner. I mostly agree with this ranking. There are maybe 2 characters I would shift up or down a bit, but no drastic disagreements.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    I have 3 champion 5 stars. I think it is not easy to to make a true rank of 5 stars. But it could divide in several groups

1.  Don't waste Iso: Hulk
    2. Could level up if you have special color cover: like OML yellow,  BSSM pueple
    3. worth champion: 
    4. Best 5 stars: Gambit, BB