When will you open your boosters?

parasith77
parasith77 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
edited December 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I know there is a lot of people out there hoarding tons of boosters. When will you guys open your boosters?
Do you already opened them or will you open them after booster crafting is implemented?
Does it matter anyhow when to open packs now that we know how booster crafting works?

I saved more than 200 boosters and i am not sure when it is the best time to open them...

Comments

• hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    open them before you craft, a new card is worth 6x-10x
    that of a dupe. the choice is less straight forward if you
    are waiting for the exclusives to enter the pool before
    opening hou packs.

HH
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    I don't have any hopes of getting exclusive cards. I open mine as I get them. 
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I don't save them either. I did save the 3 card Basic boosters from RotGP for a while to open after Ixilan releases but that lasted about 5 days.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I opened all of my boosters once Ambuscade was finally lootable in HOU. Have not been hoarding since. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hoarding the color packs till Ixalan cards are added to them. No point holding on to anything else. 
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    I've got about 80 AKH packs saved up.  Not sure when I'll open them yet, but when I do, I'll be recording what I opened at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JUeuf0BcOlNHpt3dA7SQ838ws7AOlWMEz-4AAG2dYrE/edit#gid=0 so we can get more precise knowledge about drop rates (i really hope the people with hundreds of packs do also, that's an awesome amount of potential data).

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    I opened all my HoR packs.  I had 43 of them.  I got 2 new mythics and a few new rares.  I don’t care about any of the exclusives except Imminent Doom.  Maybe I’ll craft it later.
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Interestingly, the new dupe system makes hoarding less valuable, and possibly wrong. Since in the first month you'll get more orbs from getting dupes, you should open as many packs you can during that period. When the next set comes out, you'll have most of the rares, so crafting rares will give great value (give you those last few you're missing), and will also be cheaper (since it's no longer the newest set).
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    But  we are not  in the first month any more. When Ix is launched, the hod exclusives are not exclusive anymore and so I'm hoarding my booster since then.

If a new set starts you are right. A card from booster is cheaper than crafting and a dupe nets you more  orbs in the first month. So best way hoarding after first or if you reach a certain level of non-exclusive from this set. Whatever occurs first.

I've 5 open non-exclusive mystic from hod but 8 exclusives waiting there. For me this level is reached.

Maybe I change my mind if there is  an holiday discount on booster crafting and I'm in need of orbs. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017

"When will you open your boosters?"

um, next year? ;)

lol

• Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    I’m at the point where they’re likely to be dupes so I’m waiting until booster crafting/ixalan. Unless my willpower fails! ;)
  • theyrejustelves
    theyrejustelves Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    i'm waiting for ixilan so that the HOU exclusives are added to the pool.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't bother anymore. All the exclusives have been available in jewel packs already, where I have a much higher probability of pulling one. With booster crafting coming, I have an even higher probability of getting one in that way. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't bother anymore. All the exclusives have been available in jewel packs already, where I have a much higher probability of pulling one. With booster crafting coming, I have an even higher probability of getting one in that way. 

Question to be answered though is whether or not exclusives are craftable.
  • Mainloop25
    I would think they would be. They won't be exclusive anymore. 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Exclusives have historically not been made lootable until the arrival of a new set though. And they've given no indication as to whether or not they will be, so at this point all we can do is speculate on whether or not they will follow their predecessors' precedent.
  • Mainloop25
    edited December 2017
    Matthew said:
    Exclusives have historically not been made lootable until the arrival of a new set though. And they've given no indication as to whether or not they will be, so at this point all we can do is speculate on whether or not they will follow their predecessors' precedent.

Oh I'm not saying they will be craftable as soon as crafting arrives. I just saying that there is less of a reason to hoard when crafting is going to be a superior way to target those cards once the new set arrives, and I will get the same amount of duplicates to fuel those tries whether I open them now or later. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited December 2017
    Hi Everyone. Historically that is the case, that prior set exclusives become available once the following set arrives, but I will double check with the team tomorrow, whether that is still the case with Ixalan.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby Will the KLD referral rare cards get swapped out for something more current and then become available at some point?

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby Will the KLD referral rare cards get swapped out for something more current and then become available at some point?

Also... Why are we encouraged to invite 10 friends but there are only 3 cards available?
    Getting dupes of _these_ when you haven't got all 3 and have no other way to get them is no fun.