I take Serious Umbrage with 3* Gambat

We've heard a lot from both sides of the "nerf Gambit" debate, but did you know there's an even more heinous, soul-shredding issue with 3* Gambat??

Picture this, if you can:

Fresh from opening my CP horde, and giddy with delight at having a champed 5* Spidey, I note that Webbed Wonder will feature none other than PP as the boosted 5*. 

Praise be to RNGesus! With a level 550+ monster toon I can finally have a fleeting glimpse of what it's like to be an MPQ God. A Connoisseur of Cologne perhaps, or even (gasp) the King who Dreads Nothing.

And then my mind turns to dark, terrible thoughts. What if I throw in my 005 Gambat into the mix?! In my head I'm already cackling at the swift and brutal demise of the puny goons as I hurriedly get past the essential nodes.

I head straight for the 5* Node, tag in PP, Gambat and Strange... And. It. Is. GLORIOUS. 

Moonstone is down in 3 turns. The match damage is insane! But Web Shot is insane-er! Daken is down soon after and the poor goon never stood a chance.

It's over in a barely a minute. Again! Again! I head straight back into the node relishing the chance to deliver the smack-down in double-quick time.

But... But... What the heck? Why can't I fire Spidey's red? What do you mean Gambat is hording all the red for himself?? When did he acquire purple and red covers??? 

The node takes over THREE minutes. That's, like, more than 2 minutes over the last time. Outrageous!

I get back to the character select screen: those sneaky devils automatically switched Gambat out for my technically superior 3* Champed Gambit! 

I realise now that it does this every time I return to the nodes. EVERY TIME! If I want to use Gambat I will have to skip through 15 pages of my roster EVERY TIME to select him! And if muscle memory takes over, I bring a useless 3* knife to a 5* gunfight.

EVERY TIME!

You may think the obvious solution would be to just sell my champed Gambit, and you'd be right. But why should I give up those sweet, sweet Rogue covers because SOMEONE can't code some extra lines to just remember exactly which toon I last used? Is that too much to ask?

I'm keen to know what other's think. Do you agree with this blatant disregard for our megalomaniacal tendencies? Or are you a baby cat whose frame is somewhat on the petite side? 

TL;DR Demi needs to nerf every character in the game. The hit point inflation is redonkulous and I don't want to face 6* Aunt May with a million-plus hit points.

Also, I'm just kidding. But not really.

Comments

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    That, my friends, is the perfect amalgam of (1) annoying as tinkykitty and (2) first-world problem. They're in perfect balance: an unbearable, painful wrong suffered and the absolute meaninglessness of that wrong.

I am in complete sympathy and love the post!
  • Yep, that wannabehelpful character selection is pretty painful. 

Had to dig out Gambattery after every single match on BoP.

Every ... single .... match ... oof.

That combined with that WinCount foolishness was one heckuva murderous synergy :D
    I know right?! It's almost as if they don't want us to use him...
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    And this... right here is where character dilution hits you hard. In the face of a character select screen that doesn't allow you to TINYKITTY SORT.

Forget the length of time it takes to build up characters etc. No no no... it's the sheer size of your roster.

Not a problem when you have only 20 characters. Instant problem when you're running 100+ and you'd like to tool down to your 3* tier or your go-to favorites.

Since um, the in-match UI is getting a change, maybe we can get this next? Please? Pretty please with tinykitty sprinkles on top?

*Removed profanity - Ducky
  • Deadsider
    Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Best post.
  • nonnel1
    nonnel1 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    The character selector is ****.  I have 220 characters on my roster.   Takes forever to get down to my level 15 OBW purple
  • Druiz23
    Druiz23 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    I completely agree with the OP.  However, did you know that what you want, used to be how the game was before?  I don't know how long you've played the game, but a year ago? it used to remember who was last selected.  And then they thought it should automatically default to the stronger character.  And before Gambit 0-0-5 it's never been a problem.  But now that the whole world has 0-0-5 Gambit, this has become the biggest problem to ever happen to the game and it annoys me to no end myself.  Many times I forget to go back and switch him after a match is over and I find I can no longer use my Peter Parker.  I think they should take it back to the way it way before they made this change.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    This already annoyed me. There are just times when I just don’t want to bring my A-game (clearing seed teams) and use a level 98 2-star instead of the level 144 copy, but the game keeps switching for me. I gave up eventually, ‘cause it was just too annoying to work with. I really want the game to stop trying to “help use the right one”.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Druiz23 said:
    I completely agree with the OP.  However, did you know that what you want, used to be how the game was before?  I don't know how long you've played the game, but a year ago? it used to remember who was last selected.  And then they thought it should automatically default to the stronger character.  And before Gambit 0-0-5 it's never been a problem.  But now that the whole world has 0-0-5 Gambit, this has become the biggest problem to ever happen to the game and it annoys me to no end myself.  Many times I forget to go back and switch him after a match is over and I find I can no longer use my Peter Parker.  I think they should take it back to the way it way before they made this change.
    This was done because if you had say 1 cover of the essential, not even leveled, it would automatically pick your useless version.  It was equally annoying as this, but you eventually grew out of those concerns.  Not so with the gambat.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    When they announced the "QoL" change that veterans would like - I was convinced it was something related to roster and character selection.

with 140+ characters, finding the right one is getting more and more annoying.  Couple that with alternate builds, duplicates, etc... it's super frusterating.

So Yes... I see your snark - but the underlying message is solid:

* Remember the last version of character used
    * search function (which filters as test is typed)
    * pin/sticky selection - I've seen this posted several times, allow us to "pin to the top" as many characters as we want... so that when we want to PvE with THIS guy paired with THAT essential, it's easier!
  • steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    A search function based on team affiliation shouldn't be that hard. Like, show only x-men, heroes, Gotg, etc.
  • ramoramo86
    ramoramo86 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    We've heard a lot from both sides of the "nerf Gambit" debate, but did you know there's an even more heinous, soul-shredding issue with 3* Gambat??

Picture this, if you can:

Fresh from opening my CP horde, and giddy with delight at having a champed 5* Spidey, I note that Webbed Wonder will feature none other than PP as the boosted 5*. 

Praise be to RNGesus! With a level 550+ monster toon I can finally have a fleeting glimpse of what it's like to be an MPQ God. A Connoisseur of Cologne perhaps, or even (gasp) the King who Dreads Nothing.

And then my mind turns to dark, terrible thoughts. What if I throw in my 005 Gambat into the mix?! In my head I'm already cackling at the swift and brutal demise of the puny goons as I hurriedly get past the essential nodes.

I head straight for the 5* Node, tag in PP, Gambat and Strange... And. It. Is. GLORIOUS. 

Moonstone is down in 3 turns. The match damage is insane! But Web Shot is insane-er! Daken is down soon after and the poor goon never stood a chance.

It's over in a barely a minute. Again! Again! I head straight back into the node relishing the chance to deliver the smack-down in double-quick time.

But... But... What the heck? Why can't I fire Spidey's red? What do you mean Gambat is hording all the red for himself?? When did he acquire purple and red covers??? 

The node takes over THREE minutes. That's, like, more than 2 minutes over the last time. Outrageous!

I get back to the character select screen: those sneaky devils automatically switched Gambat out for my technically superior 3* Champed Gambit! 

I realise now that it does this every time I return to the nodes. EVERY TIME! If I want to use Gambat I will have to skip through 15 pages of my roster EVERY TIME to select him! And if muscle memory takes over, I bring a useless 3* knife to a 5* gunfight.

EVERY TIME!

You may think the obvious solution would be to just sell my champed Gambit, and you'd be right. But why should I give up those sweet, sweet Rogue covers because SOMEONE can't code some extra lines to just remember exactly which toon I last used? Is that too much to ask?

I'm keen to know what other's think. Do you agree with this blatant disregard for our megalomaniacal tendencies? Or are you a baby cat whose frame is somewhat on the petite side? 

TL;DR Demi needs to nerf every character in the game. The hit point inflation is redonkulous and I don't want to face 6* Aunt May with a million-plus hit points.

Also, I'm just kidding. But not really.
    Don't sell your champed gambit that would be a waste of covers and iso you put in to champ him. You should sell the "15 pages" of rosters in between. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    They need a Favorites tab on the character selection screen, it would work kinda like bonus heroes, where you pick the characters you want to use the most and then you have easy access to them. Playing some DDQ and need to work on your whale points? Instead of having to scroll through tons of pages to get to your 3s to get Deadpool and Switch just, well, switch over to your Favorites and you're ready to go.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Character Select screen is the best nerf to Gambit that the Devs can think of right now
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    alaeth said:
    When they announced the "QoL" change that veterans would like - I was convinced it was something related to roster and character selection.

with 140+ characters, finding the right one is getting more and more annoying.  Couple that with alternate builds, duplicates, etc... it's super frusterating.

So Yes... I see your snark - but the underlying message is solid:

* Remember the last version of character used
    * search function (which filters as test is typed)
    * pin/sticky selection - I've seen this posted several times, allow us to "pin to the top" as many characters as we want... so that when we want to PvE with THIS guy paired with THAT essential, it's easier!
    Or filter by color/powers, etc, for when you just want to find a suitable character for your team.

The rosters have become unwieldy and the management screen doesn't do enough to address this.  

It's coming up lately because of Gambit, but there are times when I have to drop down into my roster, past the boosted characters and the champed 4's, and grab an IM40 or Falcon or Strange, or someone useful that I don't have champed but is maybe boosted that week, so you're not quite sure what their level is and you have to dig around for them.

Simple search and filtering options solve this pretty well.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good!  Take her!

Not sure why you'd want to take her with Gambit, I'd prefer to just have Gambit.

• zodiac339
    broll said:
    Good!  Take her!

Not sure why you'd want to take her with Gambit, I'd prefer to just have Gambit.

This image reminds me that Gambit (an evil version) charged an entire person before. Expecto Explodum!
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Am i crazy or is there a decrepancy in essential pve and pvp.  I swear in pve i have to dig through the dregs to get my dupe 2*/3* because my main one was killed by my own Thanos, but it pvp they are always neatly at the top.
  • zodiac339
    Am i crazy or is there a decrepancy in essential pve and pvp.  I swear in pve i have to dig through the dregs to get my dupe 2*/3* because my main one was killed by my own Thanos, but it pvp they are always neatly at the top.
    Discrepancy is in PVP, there’s always a loaner, and the system puts all versions together with a loaner. Stinks that’s not the case for essential missions.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    zodiac339 said:
    Discrepancy is in PVP, there’s always a loaner, and the system puts all versions together with a loaner. Stinks that’s not the case for essential missions.
    This would actually be the easiest fix for most of our problems with this issue (not the gambatt problem).