A little guidance needed

Mozza
Mozza Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
Hi Guys,

First time poster here and fairly new to the game. Only been playing the game a couple of weeks and i love it!

My only issue is i seem to of hit a bit of a wall and its hindering my progression... I have read alot of the guides on here and most of them make sense.

When it comes to collecting heroes though, is the basic method start off collecting all or as many 1 stars as possible, max them out using iso then move on to collecting 2 star cards and selling your old 1 star cards? what happens if i find a nice rare 4 star card and its about to expire and i dont have the slots for it, do i sell it? Example - i have a howard the duck 4* and a lockjaw 4*, do i sell these off? 

Im worried that if i sell all these good looking cards off (3 and 4* ones) that i might never pick them up again! 

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to progress and collect everything so some starter guidance for this would be awesome.

Thanks 

Comments

• aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Welcome to the game!

First of all, you probably already come across this, but I will say it again, since it is very important. Don't open Legendary token or spend CP. The outcome of those will not help you in anyway. Save them up to use it later when you are ready.

Back to your question:

If you don't have HP to roster a 4* or 5*, especially this early in the game, bite the bullet and sell them. If you have to pick, prioritize those 4* who are still 'latest' (still have 3x odds in the pack)

Don't worry about the covers. They will come again. Exceptions would be Bagman, Devil Dino, and Howard. They are not in the tokens. Both are trophy characters and rewarded during anniversary/special events. They are mediocre as characters, so you won't miss much.

For now, prioritize rostering all 2* and 3*. Get the 2* farm up and running. Once you have ~10x 3* champed, you can start spending CP and Legendary token.

Last word, this game is a marathon, not a splint. It takes time to build your roster. Be patient and you will be fine.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
     - Don't spend hero points on tokens. Only ever spend them to buy new roster slots. Roster slots will be the most limited resource for you basically forever.

- If you don't have a free roster slot (or the hero points to buy them) you might not want to open any heroic or elite tokens. There's a 25% chance you'll get a 3* or 4* and will probably end up selling them. Save up your hero points until you have enough to buy a roster slot, then open tokens until you get a 3* you have to roster. Then stop again.

- If you ever end up with command points or legendary tokens, do not spend or open them. You will want to save those for when you have at least half of your 3* characters championed. That's a long way away from where you are now. You do not need the headache of "lucking" into a 5* yet. *Exception* Under certain circumstances, you may want to spend 20 CP to buy a 3* cover, usually the 13th cover so you can max-level them. This is acceptable.

- Roster all the 2*s. 2* Spider-Man (Bag Man) is the only optional one. Not because they're all good, but because you will gain resources in the long run by getting champion levels for all of them.

- Don't put any more ISO into your 1*s, and don't level up any of your 3*s yet. Spend it on your 2*s. Your 3* characters will not be better than your 2*s, even at a higher level, until they have around 9 covers (3/3/3).

- I'd probably sell those 4* covers you have. Once you can use them, they're not so rare that you'll wish you still had that one extra, and the two extra roster slots for 2*s and 3*s right now will be much more helpful.

Versus mode will be rough without 3*s; probably you'll be able to play for the 4 wins (and maybe 8 wins) tokens, and then stop.

Story mode progression rewards are probably the best place for you to get covers. If you play every mission two times that is, I believe, sufficient to get a few 2* covers and a 3* (not clear on the low clearance level rewards, sorry). Since you won't have the required 4* very often, if at all, you might have to do each mission three times instead.

Do the deadpool daily missions every day. Having as many 3*s as possible  will help you get the better rewards more often. It is possible to complete the final mission (Big Enchilada) with three 2*s at ~level 80. 

Welcome to the forums :)
  • Jaedenkaal
     - Don't spend hero points on tokens. Only ever spend them to buy new roster slots. Roster slots will be the most limited resource for you basically forever.

- If you don't have a free roster slot (or the hero points to buy them) you might not want to open any heroic or elite tokens. There's a 25% chance you'll get a 3* or 4* and will probably end up selling them. Save up your hero points until you have enough to buy a roster slot, then open tokens until you get a 3* you have to roster. Then stop again.

- If you ever end up with command points or legendary tokens, do not spend or open them. You will want to save those for when you have at least half of your 3* characters championed. That's a long way away from where you are now. You do not need the headache of "lucking" into a 5* yet. *Exception* Under certain circumstances, you may want to spend 20 CP to buy a 3* cover, usually the 13th cover so you can max-level them. This is acceptable.

- Roster all the 2*s. 2* Spider-Man (Bag Man) is the only optional one. Not because they're all good, but because you will gain resources in the long run by getting champion levels for all of them.

- Don't put any more ISO into your 1*s, and don't level up any of your 3*s yet. Spend it on your 2*s. Your 3* characters will not be better than your 2*s, even at a higher level, until they have around 9 covers (3/3/3).

- I'd probably sell those 4* covers you have. Once you can use them, they're not so rare that you'll wish you still had that one extra, and the two extra roster slots for 2*s and 3*s right now will be much more helpful.

Versus mode will be rough without 3*s; probably you'll be able to play for the 4 wins (and maybe 8 wins) tokens, and then stop.

Story mode progression rewards are probably the best place for you to get covers. If you play every mission two times that is, I believe, sufficient to get a few 2* covers and a 3* (not clear on the low clearance level rewards, sorry). Since you won't have the required 4* very often, if at all, you might have to do each mission three times instead.

Do the deadpool daily missions every day. Having as many 3*s as possible  will help you get the better rewards more often. It is possible to complete the final mission (Big Enchilada) with three 2*s at ~level 80. 

Welcome to the forums :)
  • Mozza
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. 

I have sold those 4* cards now which has freed up some space to build on champing 2* cards. I take it the easiest way to get covers for these 2* is to just do story only is it? or can you get them from pvp as well? 

One last question - Is the best bet then to only open standard rewards and then save up anything above it (even the taco ones?) until im working on 3*? I take it they dont expire do they?

Time to get my grind on! 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

You can get covers by playing PvP - there's tokens and covers as progression rewards, and you sometimes get rewarded a one- or two-star cover after a fight.

Tokens don't expire, so there's no risk in saving them. As long as you can't afford your next roster spot you shouldn't open anything, but when you have enough for a roster spot you can open until you get a cover for a new character, then you need to stop again.

• jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
      One last question - Is the best bet then to only open standard rewards and then save up anything above it (even the taco ones?) until im working on 3*? I take it they dont expire do they?
        I'm sure there will probably be disagreement by some but I would definitely open taco tokens because you'll get quite a bit of 2*s and iso from opening them up.  But most importantly you'll at some point get the 250 or 1000 HP reward that you can use to open up a new roster slot.

A few more strategy pointers that worked pretty well for me when I started, is concentrate on getting top tier 3*s on your roster when you have all of your 2*s (except bagman) rostered.  I would take a look at this forum post https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67654/all-the-different-character-rankings to give you some help on what 3*s are most highly useful (the most helpful to me personally was Dauthi's 3* guide).  My personal recommendations for starting out 3*s are Iron Man 40, Dr Strange, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.  The only other wild card that's probably not mentioned in rankings yet is 3* Gambit.  I don't have him champed yet, but he is very difficult to play against so he may be among the top 3*s even though he's relatively new character.  After reading about the 3*s find out which seems to be the most useful 3* character for you and set them up as a bonus hero and hopefully it won't take much time to get enough covers to make them useful.

Some 3*s and 4*s can be helpful to have when they are featured in story mode (PVE).  Try your best, if you can, to save a slot for featured three or four star character which will help your placement and progression in PVE and feel free to sell it right after they are no longer featured.

Lastly, my final recommendation for PVP would be to enter an event a few hours before if ends and hopefully you can at least grab a few tokens or maybe even some more 2* covers.

• Mozza
    Quebbster said:

Tokens don't expire, so there's no risk in saving them. As long as you can't afford your next roster spot you shouldn't open anything, but when you have enough for a roster spot you can open until you get a cover for a new character, then you need to stop again.

I thought as much but had to double check, thanks Quebbster. 

jtsings said:
        I'm sure there will probably be disagreement by some but I would definitely open taco tokens because you'll get quite a bit of 2*s and iso from opening them up.  But most importantly you'll at some point get the 250 or 1000 HP reward that you can use to open up a new roster slot.

A few more strategy pointers that worked pretty well for me when I started, is concentrate on getting top tier 3*s on your roster when you have all of your 2*s (except bagman) rostered.  I would take a look at this forum post https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67654/all-the-different-character-rankings to give you some help on what 3*s are most highly useful (the most helpful to me personally was Dauthi's 3* guide).  My personal recommendations for starting out 3*s are Iron Man 40, Dr Strange, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.  The only other wild card that's probably not mentioned in rankings yet is 3* Gambit.  I don't have him champed yet, but he is very difficult to play against so he may be among the top 3*s even though he's relatively new character.  After reading about the 3*s find out which seems to be the most useful 3* character for you and set them up as a bonus hero and hopefully it won't take much time to get enough covers to make them useful.

whats the benefit of having every 2* rostered if some of them potentially suck? Wouldnt that be a waste of roster space for potentially good 3* heroes? I have the Dauthi post saved it proved useful for team ups. I have iron fist and iron man 40 already rostered so looking forward to building those ones up.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mozza said:

whats the benefit of having every 2* rostered if some of them potentially suck? Wouldnt that be a waste of roster space for potentially good 3* heroes? I have the Dauthi post saved it proved useful for team ups. I have iron fist and iron man 40 already rostered so looking forward to building those ones up.

Two Words: champion rewards. The champion rewards are pretty good, and two-star covers are common enough that you can cycle through them quickly. What you want to do (once you are no longer Reliant on your two-star heroes) is to sell them off once they reach level 144 and then roster a new version to get the champion rewards again. It doesn't really cost you any ISO, and the other rewards (HP, CP, covers, tokens) are well Worth the effort.

While you are still in the two-star phase there is no immediate need to roster every two-star, but be aware that you will want to have them all rostered eventually.

• jtsings
    edited December 2017

It's mostly about the champion rewards that will give you HP for roster slots, Heroic tokens for strengthening your roster, constant flow of 3* covers and Command Points for possibly finishing off a 3* cover.  Most people, even vets, still do what's called a 2* farm because the amount you get in return for applying a cover to a 2* champion far outweights just outright selling the cover.  Now that your rank is based on roster advancement, you'll also rank up and get the ISO rank rewards faster, if you keep all your 2*s.  I do agree with you though, some 2*s are not even helpful boosted, but you'll need all of them eventually for PVE or in Deadpool Daily Quests (DDQ) somewhere down the line anyways
  • Mozza
    I see now, i didn't think of that. Are each heroes champion rewards unique or is it just random? I have rostered all the 2* ones i have now so i should start progressing a bit better than i have been doing lately. Thanks guys :blush:

• jtsings
    edited December 2017
    Mozza said:
    I see now, i didn't think of that. Are each heroes champion rewards unique or is it just random? I have rostered all the 2* ones i have now so i should start progressing a bit better than i have been doing lately. Thanks guys :blush:

They're all the same at each level with the exception of 3* covers at champ level 99, 115, and 127.  You'll get a specific color cover for that characters 3* version at those levels (with the exception of Moonstone[3* Hulk] and Ares[3*Ragnarok]).
  • Jaedenkaal
    Mozza said:
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. 

I have sold those 4* cards now which has freed up some space to build on champing 2* cards. I take it the easiest way to get covers for these 2* is to just do story only is it? or can you get them from pvp as well? 

Time to get my grind on! 
    You do occasionally get 2*s as rewards from winning Versus matches, and they're also in the placement rewards from top 50 or so down to 300, I think. 

Tokens don't expire; in my opinion you're fine to open heroic tokens and taco tokens, although, as others have mentioned, the safest way is to wait until you have enough to buy a roster slot before opening anything.

Mozza said:
    Also, having all 2*s rostered helps for Story missions; there are only 13 non-limited 2*s, so they all get their turn as the required 2* character in Story events pretty often. No, you'll probably never use 2* Steve for any other reason, and that's fine. He'll still net you 3 3* Steve covers on his way up to 144, and that's totally worth it.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with jtsings on Cage, Fist, and Strange, but I wouldn't put effort into building up IM40 until you're ready to really start diving into 3* land. You don't really need him to fuel 2* powers. Gambit, I would definitely go for as a 4th, tho. Actually, probably as a second, after Strange. He's really good, one of the best 3*, and he works well regardless of who else you have.
  • Tyrlaan
    Tyrlaan Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    So related question - 

I did not think to look for this great forum until I had been playing for quite some time. I'm at the point that I have a good percentage of my 3s champed (but not maxed), but I have an assortment of 4s and 5s. As you can imagine, all the 5s have one cover except for one that has 2. 

At this point, how much am I hurting myself holding on to those 5s? I assume I'm fine with 4s a this point.
  • Jaedenkaal
    I agree with jtsings on Cage, Fist, and Strange, but I wouldn't put effort into building up IM40 until you're ready to really start diving into 3* land. You don't really need him to fuel 2* powers.
    I don't know, that's probably pretty obnoxious with Ares. Or Storm, for that matter.
  • jtsings
    edited December 2017

I don't know, that's probably pretty obnoxious with Ares. Or Storm, for that matter.
       I understand from TPF's other posts that IM40 is still a pretty conditional character.  If you have a yellow starved board or are against a yellow heavy AI, then it usually takes too many matches to activate his other powers.  However, for me, I used him with Storm all the time while in 2* land and most of the time I had him underleveled so that he wouldn't take damage.  A level 40 IM40 with 5 yellow covers is pretty dang useful, especially in PVE.  There are times that 6 yellow AP just doesn't come and it makes the match very long and painful with him.  But that negative for him, doesn't deter me from using him daily.   
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with jtsings on Cage, Fist, and Strange, but I wouldn't put effort into building up IM40 until you're ready to really start diving into 3* land. You don't really need him to fuel 2* powers.
    Ares, maybe obnoxious, but not needed in the same way that IM40 is for someone like Peggy* or 4Thor. I always found MNMags perfect for charging up Storm.

*@jtsings: Getting Peggy Champed has really changed my attitude towards IM40. I still find him frustrating, because I seem to get so many yellow-starved boards, and his countdowns get taken out so often, but when it works, good lord that's amazing.