Uncommons and Commons Deck against Nicol Bolas

Options
I would like to share with you that deck that won against NG at the first try.

With Jace The Unraveler,
Support (2) : Crumbling Necropolis - (U)ncommon, Sphinx's Tutelage - (U)

Spells (5) : Desert of the Mindful - (C)ommon, Tezzeret Ambition - (C), Cayncel - (C), Censor - (U), Open into Wonder -  (U)

Creatures (3) : Contraband Kingpin - (U), Prakhata Pillar-bug - (C), Sigiled Starfish - (U)

Only cast 3 supports instead of the demanded 4, so victory was not perfect.

Took some screenshots but don't know how to paste them here.

Will try with this deck again when NG is back again

Comments

• Rasalghul
    Rasalghul Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Did it again without retry ! 
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well done!

I personally will still run creatureless against him even if without rares, and while I haven't give it a try yet (being lazy atm), I can imagine at least the following cards in:

Ramunap Ruin (the game-winner, although ultra-slow)
    Cast out (keep that Elemental Away)
    Ifnir Deadlands (alternative to Cast Out, to weaken the Wildfire enough)
    Sunset Pyramid (card draw)
    Some random mana fixing/ramp
    Some random cheap cycling creatures

If I use Cast Out, that means Ajani or Nahiri, but if without Cast Out, Chandra 1 is the best bet due to her ability slapping the face directly.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you don't have Ob yet, grab him and level him up to where his abilities are useful. That's all you'll need to beat a lot of PvE bosses without a ton of mythics. 
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, creatureless Ob Nix works incredibly reliably against Nicol Bolas and requires no rares whatsoever. Especially with Faith of the Devoted...actually, with Faith you could probably win with any black or partly-black cycling deck, as long as you're careful not to cast any creatures. Add in Sunset Pyramid and Manalith or something to make sure you hit the supports objective. And I like Desert of the Glorified because it can provide a quick mana boost early on and just get cycled later.
  • evansjay
    evansjay Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have also had good luck with Jace as a cycling deck focused around 'Drake Haven' and Thopter Spy Network'.
  • arNero
    edited September 2017
    Options
    evansjay said:
    I have also had good luck with Jace as a cycling deck focused around 'Drake Haven' and Thopter Spy Network'.
    Er, one, those cards are rare and mythic, two, I admit you're pretty crazy to summon creatures against Bolas.

And thanks for reminding me about Ob. Forgot that Faith of the Devoted is uncommon, so yeah, that's a good idea. Although, avoid Stir the Sands in that case, because you know, creature.

EDIT: Yass, just finished beating Bolas with a no-rare Chandra1 deck.

Flame Javelin (face damage)
    Ramunap Ruins (face damage)
    Furious Reprisal (face damage)
    Ifnir Deadlands (weakening Wildfire Elemental)
    Desert of the Fervent (gem destruction)
    Hungry Flames (killing Wildfire Elemental)
    Demolish (anti support)
    Manalith (mana)
    Sunscorched Desert (mana and face damage)
    Sunset Pyramid (card draw)

The only card I do not like in this deck is Hungry Flames due to the fact that 1) Once Bolas fills up his spells in hand without Wildfire in play, this spell becomes useless, 2) Actually killing Wildfire goes against the objective. I also am considering Jayemdae Tome for more card draw.

Total took me almost 20 minutes though. What a drag.
  • Barkenspyder
    Barkenspyder Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yeah, this fight is absurdly painful.  Now that I've figured out how to beat him, I can't be bothered.  Just takes to damned long.  Why do the devs want to bore us to death?  No match should last this long.
  • arNero
    Options
    Yeah, this fight is absurdly painful.  Now that I've figured out how to beat him, I can't be bothered.  Just takes to damned long.  Why do the devs want to bore us to death?  No match should last this long.
    I guess I'll say I agree. Especially since except for that one time I used no-rare deck to eat him, I resot to using Elspeth Goggles + Approach combo to eat him much, much faster.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How fast can you beat Bolas, I have all the good cycling cards...but even with a good start it takes me about 20 minutes and is pretty boring all the way through.  What about you?
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    With Tezzeret 2, Faith of the Devoted + New Perspectives should only take about 5-10 minutes if you swipe quickly enough... I mean, that's still over 100 swipes to kill him, but you can expedite it by using his ultimate, then his first ability to produce fabrication supports.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah that's pretty much what I run, but I generally take my chances once my drakes get to be 100/100 because swiping to win is incredibly incredibly dull...magic solitaire lol