Spend the CP to champ... Sandman?

Options
NotBAMF
NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
So after spending the hoard to try to get some Vulture or Nightcrawler covers (I didn’t), i now have a 1/5/5 Sandman with two covers on the vine. 

Should I spend my last 240 CP to get him to 13 covers and champ him? He is still at lv70, so it’s a HUGE iso and CP investment for frickin’ Sandman, but I hate wasted covers.

So champ him? Or let the covers rot?

Comments

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No. Sandman is okayish, but he's not worth it. Think of those covers as Iso in the bank for a worthier champ.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    NotBAMF said:
    So after spending the hoard to try to get some Vulture or Nightcrawler covers (I didn’t), i now have a 1/5/5 Sandman with two covers on the vine. 

Should I spend my last 240 CP to get him to 13 covers and champ him? He is still at lv70, so it’s a HUGE iso and CP investment for frickin’ Sandman, but I hate wasted covers.

So champ him? Or let the covers rot?
    Let it go...Let it go! Don't waste your CP on that guy.
    Like BlackboltRocks said there will be enough covers for him in the future..
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have difficulty in saying an outright 'no' to spending CP on him, becuase any cover you get in the future will be a champ level if you do spend it and that counts for something. But I champed him during the most recent Anniversary event (thanks double Iso!) and found I have only used him in a few matches when he was boosted since then, so spending 240 CP on an 'OK when boosted' character seems a bit much if you ask me.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    240 CP. That's either going to get you 2 sandman covers, 12 classic pulls, or 9 Latest legends.

Do the math.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    240 CP. That's either going to get you 2 sandman covers, 12 classic pulls, or 9 Latest legends.

Do the math.

Well, the math is one thing, but here's how I looked at it initially:

240 CP is either two Sandman covers for a guaranteed champion or 12 classic pulls that will most likely get me bupkiss. Maybe I just have the worst luck in the universe at CL pulls, but I never get anything relevant from them. It's almost always "Oh, great. Another cover for my 1/0/1 character".

Unvaulting has given me trust issues over legendary tokens. :)

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If it was a top-tier 4-star that you'd use on a near daily basis (Peggy, Carol, Medusa, Riri, etc) I would be advising you to spend the 240 CP, champ your 4-star, and enjoy the game with your new shiny. It's just CP and you'll make more.

Otherwise, CP is the fastest way to covering 4-stars and (only way to cover) 5-stars. It's a quantity over quality balancing act. Are you going to end up selling some covers along the way? Yep. And that's okay. It's part of the process.

So, you have to ask yourself, is the quality of Sandman enough to sacrifice a quantity of other covers? Only you can answer that.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Let those Sandman covers be swept out to sea.  Hopefully he gets a re-work someday but that probably won't be until he moves out of current rotation.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    NotBAMF said:
    Dormammu said:

Do the math.

240 CP is either two Sandman covers for a guaranteed champion or 12 classic pulls that will most likely get me bupkiss. Maybe I just have the worst luck in the universe at CL pulls, but I never get anything relevant from them. It's almost always "Oh, great. Another cover for my 1/0/1 character".

Even if the 12 classics pulls are all 4*s, that's 12 champion levels or covers you could train. Just the xp alone from that is better than finishing off sandman. If you have the roster slot, then start on a dupe. This way the covers aren't wasted.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would consider another cover for a 1/0/1 character an extremely relevant pull, they all have to start somewhere to eventually get to 13 covers :)
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Do not spend CP to get him to 13 so you can champ.  He's pretty terrible right now, and it's not worth it.

Why spend 240 CP so you can champ and get a Legendary token back?  A Latest Legends is 25 CP.  So what is happening is do you want to spend 240 CP to get...25 CP?
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    byc said:
    Do not spend CP to get him to 13 so you can champ.  He's pretty terrible right now, and it's not worth it.

Why spend 240 CP so you can champ and get a Legendary token back?  A Latest Legends is 25 CP.  So what is happening is do you want to spend 240 CP to get...25 CP?

... and not have to throw away another 3-4 unusable covers in the future.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Starfury said:
    byc said:

Still not Worth 240 CP IMO. Covers are a lot easier to come by than 240CP.

It should be Sandman's turn in Crash of the Titans soon (unless he gets skipped like Vulture), so it might be a good idea to save up on HP and try to cash in a cover that way though.

• Starfury
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Starfury said:
    byc said:

It should be Sandman's turn in Crash of the Titans soon (unless he gets skipped like Vulture), so it might be a good idea to save up on HP and try to cash in a cover that way though.

Yeah, but the comparison shouldn't necessarily be "spend 240 CP to save 2 covers", it's more realistic to view it as "spend 240cp to save 2 covers now and 3-4 covers later"
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Starfury said:
    Quebbster said:
    Starfury said:
    byc said:

Yeah, but the comparison shouldn't necessarily be "spend 240 CP to save 2 covers", it's more realistic to view it as "spend 240cp to save 2 covers now and 3-4 covers later"

I'll put it Another way then: Those 240 CP represents 9-12 Legendary tokens (depending on whether you go the Latest or Classic route). Statistically, that is 1½-2 fivestar covers in those pulls. For a character that you do not depend on in Daily play I would probably only consider spending that amount of CP to save 10 covers or more.

YMMV as Always though.

• Starfury
    Options

I never said it's worth it (especially for Sandman), just that you need to look at the entire picture. If you're selling those two covers, you should to be ready to sell the next few covers as well.

Personally (if I had the ISO to champ in the first place), I would've set Sandyman as my bonus 4* for the two weeks until the covers expire and keep the 240 CP as a backup in case I still needed to buy.

• Quebbster
    Options
    Starfury said:

I never said it's worth it (especially for Sandman), just that you need to look at the entire picture. If you're selling those two covers, you should to be ready to sell the next few covers as well.

Personally (if I had the ISO to champ in the first place), I would've set Sandyman as my bonus 4* for the two weeks until the covers expire and keep the 240 CP as a backup in case I still needed to buy.

And I happen to Think that in the bigger Picture a handful of wasted covers is less of a problem than losing 240 CP. I have had to sell plenty of fourstar covers where I didn't have the right cover configuration or enough ISO to champ, and it's really not the end of the World. It did sting when my Iceman was 4/5/3 and I kept getting blue covers though...
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pongie said:
    NotBAMF said:
    Dormammu said:

Do the math.

Even if the 12 classics pulls are all 4*s, that's 12 champion levels or covers you could train. Just the xp alone from that is better than finishing off sandman. If you have the roster slot, then start on a dupe. This way the covers aren't wasted.
    I recently adopted this strategy and can say honestly that I am far less stressed about dupe covers now.  I realize MPQ will probably go belly-up before I'm ever in a position to start farming those dupes, but hey.  Hope springs eternal. 

To echo what others have said, I'd discourage spending that much CP on Sandman.  I'd rather use the CP to pull from classics, BH Sandman and hope for the best.  It works occasionally, I recently pulled 4 Rogue BH covers in a 2 day span and was able to champ her as a result.