I miss win based PVP progression...

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Daiches said:
    mexus said:
     BRING BACK WIN BASED PROGRESSION!!! 

I have a pretty decent roster in 4* transition with 6 champed 4* and climbing. But I have zero chance at the 900 point progression to get a 4* cover to help me build.  I can get to 800 pretty easily but get hammered from there. I win a match and lose two in the process. Shield hops don't do much good either. No fun at all. 

Say what hat you want about win progression but at least i know if I commit to the grind it will be worth it in the end. 
    You do not have zero chance at hitting 900, I know because it wasn't long ago I was at the same stage you are and I was doing it earlier than that with a 3* roster. Learning how to hit 900 consistently is what catapulted me out of 3 star land and into 4 star.  It took time and I had to experiment, I learned what time slice gave me the best chance at hitting 900, when to play,  when to float,  when to sheild. It wasn't easy but once I learned what worked it got easier and easier and soon my 4 star roster grew 

Now I have almost all 4* camped and my highest at lvl 314, I almost always have 2 boosted 4* in pvp and I can hit 900 every time.  Unlike wins based pvp where I hit 900 and still need 20 more wins for the 4* I have a job and family so I never have time to get to 40 wins, I didn't always get the cp either and I missed the season 15 cp for the first time in forever.   I placed worse and got much less rewards for the same or more work. 

Since I don't have time to do pve if they had left pvp the way it was I probably would have quit the game,  I've been playing almost since the very beggining. I know a lot of other long time players on this board and in my alliance also hated win based pvp and were also considering quitting.  I don't think the intention was to drive away people who have been loyal to this game for years in favor of people just starting. 

Learn when to "float" and all this hopping and whatnot aren't stuff the game teaches us. We are not "bad ay playing PVP" - we match the tiles like intended. When we need to, we shield up.
    The fact that 100 peope have found ways to exploit the system by analyzing flips and brackets and learned when to float and no doesn't make me and Ronburgundy bad at matching tiles but it's not fair that we should adapt to game rules that aren't even in the official game guide.
    There's no game guide. Everything you donyou learn from playing the game and analyzing it. Or like -you know - talking to friends?

or can you point me to the in game explanation of how to PVE? Same thing.

The game teached me PVE in the "Prologue":
    You pick a node and replay it until you don't wanna play it more or complete it. And playing it means matching tiles to collect AP and activating skills of your choice.
    You pretty much play PVP and PVE the same way.
    I'd like to quote a user but I can't remember who he was but basically he said that a big problem with this competitive game is that people spend too much time trying to help each other. It ends up broken.

All games are competitive.  Do you play board games/cards at all with family or friends?  Do you not remember who won and talk smack to the people you beat?  Everything is competitive. From Monoploy to poker to Rummy to Magic the Gathering to MPQ. 
  • The rockett
    mexus said:
    mexus said:
    Daiches said:
    mexus said:

I have a pretty decent roster in 4* transition with 6 champed 4* and climbing. But I have zero chance at the 900 point progression to get a 4* cover to help me build.  I can get to 800 pretty easily but get hammered from there. I win a match and lose two in the process. Shield hops don't do much good either. No fun at all. 

Say what hat you want about win progression but at least i know if I commit to the grind it will be worth it in the end. 
    You do not have zero chance at hitting 900, I know because it wasn't long ago I was at the same stage you are and I was doing it earlier than that with a 3* roster. Learning how to hit 900 consistently is what catapulted me out of 3 star land and into 4 star.  It took time and I had to experiment, I learned what time slice gave me the best chance at hitting 900, when to play,  when to float,  when to sheild. It wasn't easy but once I learned what worked it got easier and easier and soon my 4 star roster grew 

Now I have almost all 4* camped and my highest at lvl 314, I almost always have 2 boosted 4* in pvp and I can hit 900 every time.  Unlike wins based pvp where I hit 900 and still need 20 more wins for the 4* I have a job and family so I never have time to get to 40 wins, I didn't always get the cp either and I missed the season 15 cp for the first time in forever.   I placed worse and got much less rewards for the same or more work. 

Since I don't have time to do pve if they had left pvp the way it was I probably would have quit the game,  I've been playing almost since the very beggining. I know a lot of other long time players on this board and in my alliance also hated win based pvp and were also considering quitting.  I don't think the intention was to drive away people who have been loyal to this game for years in favor of people just starting. 

Learn when to "float" and all this hopping and whatnot aren't stuff the game teaches us. We are not "bad ay playing PVP" - we match the tiles like intended. When we need to, we shield up.
    The fact that 100 peope have found ways to exploit the system by analyzing flips and brackets and learned when to float and no doesn't make me and Ronburgundy bad at matching tiles but it's not fair that we should adapt to game rules that aren't even in the official game guide.
    There's no game guide. Everything you donyou learn from playing the game and analyzing it. Or like -you know - talking to friends?

You pick a node and replay it until you don't wanna play it more or complete it. And playing it means matching tiles to collect AP and activating skills of your choice.
    I'd like to quote a user but I can't remember who he was but basically he said that a big problem with this competitive game is that people spend too much time trying to help each other. It ends up broken.

All games are competitive.  Do you play board games/cards at all with family or friends?  Do you not remember who won and talk smack to the people you beat?  Everything is competitive. From Monoploy to poker to Rummy to Magic the Gathering to MPQ. 
    If playing a board game with someone who doesn't know the rules I explaining how to roll the dice and move around the board. Fun times. I don't form a secret underground movement of a few players that aims to find ways to roll the dice in specific pattern that makes it easier to win.
    Um....yes. Secert underground. Nobody here has ever talked about what to do and how.  Sure.  
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    mexus said:
    mexus said:
    Daiches said:
    mexus said:

If playing a board game with someone who doesn't know the rules I explaining how to roll the dice and move around the board. Fun times. I don't form a secret underground movement of a few players that aims to find ways to roll the dice in specific pattern that makes it easier to win.
    Um....yes. Secert underground. Nobody here has ever talked about what to do and how.  Sure.  
    You understand than this forums ARE that secret underground, yes, you talk a lot of that, but not everyone knows about of this place.

The realm problem is the point based is not an intuitive method to play, and no matter how much you try or how much addict you became, if you dont pay for the shields and play with clockwork like presition, taking X defeading the oposition, Shielding for Y time, and blah, blah, blah, you just don´t learn how to "win" -not pun intended- in this game.

Has a former pokemon player, EV Breeding and IV training where a LOT of hard to understand, but you get hints about that in the game and where easly decifred even without the use of internet, here... you have no hint of nothing, you just get brutally murdered in the point based system, dropped inside a botonless pit and you ask why this happend... you have no answerd about anything, no hint about why did you fail, about nothing! Thats is the problem about this method, is a lie wraped in a paranoic conspiration, thats what the point system is!
  • The rockett
    edited November 2017
    mexus said:
    mexus said:
    Daiches said:
    mexus said:

You understand than this forums ARE that secret underground, yes, you talk a lot of that, but not everyone knows about of this place.

The realm problem is the point based is not an intuitive method to play, and no matter how much you try or how much addict you became, if you dont pay for the shields and play with clockwork like presition, taking X defeading the oposition, Shielding for Y time, and blah, blah, blah, you just don´t learn how to "win" -not pun intended- in this game.

Has a former pokemon player, EV Breeding and IV training where a LOT of hard to understand, but you get hints about that in the game and where easly decifred even without the use of internet, here... you have no hint of nothing, you just get brutally murdered in the point based system, dropped inside a botonless pit and you ask why this happend... you have no answerd about anything, no hint about why did you fail, about nothing! Thats is the problem about this method, is a lie wraped in a paranoic conspiration, thats what the point system is!
    Again, MPQ had been around for 1510 days.  Win based was around for 2 tests, call it 10 days, and 1 season (28 days).  Point based PVP has been around for the other 1472 days.  Now, I have never said a "Win" based system wouldn't work.  What I have said and others too that a Win based system that removes the progression CPs will not work.  The only Win based system D3/Demi has put out is one that removes CPs from progression, which didn't work. Now if they test another system that has some different progression rewards, then we can talk.  Until they show this, there is no way to separate a Win based system that's would have CP progression in it because that system doesn't exist at this time.  
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Again, MPQ had been around for 1510 days.  Win based was around for 2 tests, call it 10 days, and 1 season (28 days).  Point based PVP has been around for the other 1472 days.  Now, I have never said a "Win" based system wouldn't work.  What I have said and others too that a Win based system that removes the progression CPs will not work.  The only Win based system D3/Demi has put out is one that removes CPs from progression, which didn't work. Now if they test another system that has some different progression rewards, then we can talk.  Until they show this, there is no way to separate a Win based system that's would have CP progression in it because that system doesn't exist at this time.  
    to be fair, you can't use the day count as an objective argument.  The pvp in place at the games inception is waaaay different then today.  The characters, slices, shields, MMR adjustments, cupcakes, etc. have changed the scope and play tenfold.  Versus mode is, for lack of a better term, broken, that's why they keep attempting to "fix" it.

My perception of the problem is that they have too many veteran players, while fewer new players turn into veterans.  Like you said, the game is four years old.  If you came upon this game now, and tried to catch up, it would almost be an impossible task.  The only way to shorten that gap is to increase the rewards for newer players, while decreasing the one thing that is accelerating the veterans even farther away.

I didn't like win based because it hurt my personal progression, but like it or not, I can understand what they are trying to accomplish.  
  • Spudgutter
    Bowgentle said:  
    Don't bother, rockett.
    Clearly none of us learned to play PVP before LINE came around.
    Because obviously people gathered on LINE and then learned how to score high in PVP, not the other way round.

Oh wait...
    not sure what you are trying to say?  if Line isn't a requisite for scoring high in pvp, why do so many people advocate for it?  
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    All I think of when I think of LINE is a way for veterans to team up to try and climb as high as possible without hitting each other. Its a load of nonsense. 

I've said it plenty of times before, hit whoever appears on your screen. Its what I always do. I dont care whether you are a veteran, I dont care whether you are a noob, I dont care if I've hit you 5 times in an hour. I just dont care. If you are worth good enough points to me I'm hitting you until you aren't worth good points. 
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    WEBGAS said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Slices have 1,000 people, literally 99% of the people that play can't get t10. Not being able to get t10 is hardly a reason to write off an entire game mode. PVE still advances you faster than PVP does.
    If you want to progress you have to aim for best rewards, otherways don't play at all. You will stuck in 2* and 3* land forever, because of the diluition of characters you will not be able to champ them in time....It's a viciuos circle. 
    As of today, the strongest roster will become stronger and the waker will still remain the same.
    I feel for those who want to start playing this game...unless they want to spend millions $ on a 3match game  ;)
    Oh come on. Placement rewards are completely dwarfed by the progress you make from opening tokens that you get mostly just for playing. And just about any 4* roster can T50 SCL9 for a 4* cover anyway if they just put in the time....it's not THAT competitive.
    I wouldn't go that far. I have all 4*s (except 4ulk) champed, and while it's possible to make t50 in most non-release PvE events -if you don't take the initial group and are within the first few hours of the flip- it still takes a decent time commitment that I wouldn't want to make the standard. If EVERYONE who met your criteria did that, then ANYONE would not be be able to make t50.

That said, I think anyone with the required characters and enough time to make five runs on each node can make full progression, which equals a 4* cover and enough CP for a token pull. Plus, each sub, wave node, and progression tiers providing an event token will also add to the 4/80 4* chances.

TLDR: For PvE, making the progression rewards is pretty darn satisfactory. Don't trip too hard over placement.

I'll add my thoughts later on PvP, but as a preview: I love going back to the points. I have much more of an outside life.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    After playing a season of win-based PvP, there is no way I could put myself through the torture of the old points based system as is. This is just one person's opinion. 
    Here is what I dont understand. If everyone agrees that the current points-based system is broken, flawed, unacceptable or whatever term you like then, why ever go back to it?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." 
    Stop the insanity! 
    I don't think "everyone", or most everyone, agrees the points-based system is broken. Sinplifying "everyone's" opinion to mirror yours doesn't make it so.

Maybe that's part of why they went back.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Just saying, I don't use Line for shield checking or battle chats. I chat with my alliance there and a few friends outside of my alliance. I play Versus solo, only skipping my alliance mates. I hold no truces, I hit anyone (except the aforementioned). I hit 900 every event and can hit 1200 if I choose. All without coordinating with anyone, so explain to me how Line is a "requirement" for a high score. It is not- learning the strategy (as with ANY game) is how you achieve high scores. EVERY game has internal strategies, if you don't learn them you won't score highly (or win, however it is set up). Why is that not common sense?

And you have how many champed 5*s? Or how many boosted championed 4*s per event?

It's in my signature, but if you're mobile and can't see it. 45 champ 4s (+1 since last signature update) and 5 champ 5s. Doesn't matter though I've been able to hit 900 without coordination since having about 10 champ 4s. I didn't try for 1200 until I had 3 champ 5s, but that was my choice. It's not a requirement to have champ 5s to hit 1200, plenty in my alliance family do it. Is it easier with 5s, yes, but a requirement, no, not at all....

And for the record, this week with 45 champ 4s, 0 on the boost list. Though I'm currently working on vulture and he will be champed by Tuesday night.
  • Spudgutter
    After playing a season of win-based PvP, there is no way I could put myself through the torture of the old points based system as is. This is just one person's opinion. 
    Here is what I dont understand. If everyone agrees that the current points-based system is broken, flawed, unacceptable or whatever term you like then, why ever go back to it?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." 
    Stop the insanity! 
    I don't think "everyone", or most everyone, agrees the points-based system is broken. Sinplifying "everyone's" opinion to mirror yours doesn't make it so.

Maybe that's part of why they went back.
    I do think a fair amount of people agree that it is a broken system.  it's mentioned every time this debate comes up.   Even by people that prefer points over wins.  Just because it is the currently preferred method by those at the top does not mean it isn't broken.  that's why they are trying to find an amicable solution.
  • Eec411
    Eec411 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I think most people opposed to last season system were more opposed to the cp getting removed from progression and the sheer volume of games required to play to earn the 4* cover.  Most of the veteran players can get to 900 points in about 15-20 matches.  With some line coordination, you can get to 1200 in 25 matches.  

Wins-based system was great for people that couldn’t get to 900 before getting hit, but those that could climb quickly all of a sudden had to play 2-3 times the number of matches to get the same reward.  (Shield simulator needing 84 wins was an awful chore!)

i think wins system works, but put the cp back in progression instead of top 10/500 (did the cl5 players like seeing 5* players eat their rewards last season?).

also, adjust the required wins for progression. Put the 4* cover at 25 wins, not 40.  Put the 15 cp at 35 wins. Easy
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Arphaxad said:
    Gotta agree with the OP. I haven't played PvP since it went back to the point base progression system. Never liked playing all in one hour for placement and points. Much prefer playing whenever I like, across the entire event, to get the wins I want for progression.

Guess that makes more time for other games until they bring back win based progression.
    This is me. I've played a little, but I skipped the first two events of the season and and haven't bothered to play much more than half an hour for each of the ones after that because that's all I need for the rewards I want and can reliably get. I've mostly been ignoring that tab in the game again.
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Phumade said:
    Jwallyr said:
    So I have a slow Friday and not much better to do than play the PvP event. The time slice for which I signed up ends in 53 minutes, and I'm currently in 4th place with 482 points. The top player has 510 points.

So, I'm SURE someone can totally get 700 points in the next 55 minutes and snag that 1200 point progression reward! I'm so glad they put that back in! /sarcasm
    Not sure what your point is?  even 500 level rosters don't try to gain 500 points in 1 hr.

How many levels are in the team your using?  If you can't break 1000 between all three chars you'll be hard pressed to brake 900 at this late stage of the event.

Your climbing in the most competive part of the event.  Even big 450+ get hammered this late in the event
    My point is that some combination of the following is true:
    1) Points-based "progression" has driven enough people back out of the Versus mode that there isn't a population enough to support a growing "points pool" to allow even a single player at the low CL to achieve even the modest rewards (due to CL) that are available.
    2) The Points-based "progression" system isn't even designed for even a single player at the low CL to be able to achieve the full set of rewards.

Like, OBVIOUSLY I'm not expecting to get 500 points in an hour. The fact that nobody is **even close** to achieving the full set of progression rewards hints that something is completely broken.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jwallyr said:
    Phumade said:
    Jwallyr said:
    So I have a slow Friday and not much better to do than play the PvP event. The time slice for which I signed up ends in 53 minutes, and I'm currently in 4th place with 482 points. The top player has 510 points.

So, I'm SURE someone can totally get 700 points in the next 55 minutes and snag that 1200 point progression reward! I'm so glad they put that back in! /sarcasm
    Not sure what your point is?  even 500 level rosters don't try to gain 500 points in 1 hr.

How many levels are in the team your using?  If you can't break 1000 between all three chars you'll be hard pressed to brake 900 at this late stage of the event.

Your climbing in the most competive part of the event.  Even big 450+ get hammered this late in the event
    My point is that some combination of the following is true:
    1) Points-based "progression" has driven enough people back out of the Versus mode that there isn't a population enough to support a growing "points pool" to allow even a single player at the low CL to achieve even the modest rewards (due to CL) that are available.
    2) The Points-based "progression" system isn't even designed for even a single player at the low CL to be able to achieve the full set of rewards.

Like, OBVIOUSLY I'm not expecting to get 500 points in an hour. The fact that nobody is **even close** to achieving the full set of progression rewards hints that something is completely broken.
    I've included your full posts because I wasn't sure if I missed some important pont

First off?  What modest rewards (due to CL) are you missing?  If your complaining about not getting the 700, 800, 900 reward (p.s.  no one else in your bracket is getting those rewards either?  so it doesn't seem like rewards are going to inappropriate rosters or cheating behvior, or even to sandbagged rosters?  (I don't think your even complaining about the fellow players in your bracket?)

LOL,  Did you really think a SCL1 roster full of 2*/3* chars was gonna hit 1200 and get the 1 cp reward????
    hahahahahahahahahaha

The progression table was not designed to enable all players in the SCL to make top progression.  Plain and simple.  SCL 1 appropriate rosters (which is probably some mix of 2*/3*) cannot hit 1200 (which is top progression in scl1).  

The 0 to 1200 point spread comes from a era when all players competed in the same time slice.  In fact, the point progression structure predates time slices.

Some lazy accountant just cloned the point structure and assigned prizes that were appropriate for the intended audience,  but was not set at achievable point levels for those types of rosters.

If that really is your concern,  Why don't you write it up as that issue vs. a vague complaint of not being able to climb 500 points in 1 hr.

lol

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's all this mess about not being able to get 500pts in an hour?

I've seen multiple mentions of this.

That's a low bar. I see players gain far more in an hour, all the time.
    Yep, I've seen it too. I've seen alliance mates go 0-1500 inside an hour