3* PvP Team and General Tips(New Player)

Options
Kaibar
Kaibar Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
Just started little over a month ago.  I think I am getting into 3 star land?  Anyway would like advice on what PvP team I should look to build?  Here are my covers.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Kaibar/

On the (vine????):

3* Ragnarok
3* Mystique
3* Black Widow
3* Iron Fist
3* Colossus
3* Squirrel girl
4* The punisher
4* Sam Wilson
4* Cyclops
4* Jean Grey
4* Invisible Women

Ya I am realizing I blow tokens to quickly. :)  On the vine what could I sell?  Anything in my current roster that I could free up space with by dumping?  May have to drop little more cash if needed.  Love the game.  Thanks.

Comments

• AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If you're only in for a month, you don't have the infrastructure to really support 4*s.  Specifically, you need to pay 120 CP per 4* cover, or you need to pull it randomly from legend packs.  You can improve your odds by gold-starring a particular 4*, but you're just not generating that many legend packs to begin with at your point of play.

On the other hand, if you really like a 4* - 4*s have better damage when covered and leveled (unless you have a really awful 4*), so hey, whatever, right?

Other comments -

2* Daken at 3/5/5, Wolverine at 3/5/5, Magneto at 3/5/5 (if you use with Storm, you won't use blue much anyways, and blue doesn't generate AP), Storm at 5/5/3 (Windstorm is amazing), Captain America at 3/5/5 (19 yellow?!  woah), Iron Man 1* at 5/3/3 (blue is slow to come), Moonstone at 3/5/5 (Gravity Warp is harder to control the more colors it can target, red does pretty good damage considering, and black steal is nice)

3* land - well there's a reason why players use 3* Strange and 3* Thanos.  The team kills stuff fast, and speed is important in PvP.  Then they can switch to another team when they want to do defense, or they can shield or whatever, but PvP changes, who knows these days.

Of the rostered 3*s, Psylocke is still kind of slow even after the recent buffs.  Hood is fragile.  (Sure you can protect Hood with Deadpool or something but even so).  Sentry you can abuse but he eats health packs like crazy.  Spider-Man is slow.  I'm not sure I would recommend any of them for PvP.

I don't really do PvP though, so I'm sure others will offer better advice.

For your list, just remember the AI isn't good at using a lot of powers.  3* Iron Fist I think I'd try to keep.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From your Roster, I would absolutely sell off Bag Man. He's terrible, and only really worth it as a "gotta catch 'em all" character. Probably also Sentry (generally bad), and Quake (single-cover 4* won't do much for you. Get your 3* solid first). Vision, Punisher, and Elektra would be fairly easy to let go as well.

In addition to the respecs Aardvark mentioned, I would shift Thor to 3/5/5 (his yellow and green improve way more with extra covers than his red), Hawkeye the same (but 5 purple is the really important part), and Captain Marvel to 5/5/3, because her yellow is kind of underwhelming. I also prefer Daken at 3/5/5, and Ares at 4/5/4, but those are more a matter of preference.

From your Queue, the only one I would absolutely save is Iron Fist. Cyclops and Jean Grey are also high on the list. Sam Wilson, Ragnarok, and Mystique, I would definitely get rid of.

PvP is in kind of a weird place right now. People are still adapting to the win-based Progression. Speed isn't nearly as important if you're just playing for Progression, and not trying to line up big hits and then shield before you get hit back. I wouldn't recommend shielding at this point, tho. Save your Hero Points for Roster Slots. There is no better investment you can make. Just play for Progression, pay attention to the Retaliation fights you're offered, and if someone is willing to trade back and forth with you using teams that are good on offense and bad on defense (Strange/Cage/Required is a good one), you can climb surprisingly easily that way.
  • Kaibar
    Kaibar Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I mainly do PvP for progression right now.  Made the cover changes you reccomended.  Thanks for the advice.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Options
       With what you have so far I would use IM40 and Thor/Wolverine/Human Torch.  Concentrate on getting your recharges early and use the increase to fire off their green and try to wait to fire IM40's red when he returns from being airborne.  Once you can get Str3nge up to 5 blue he starts doing pretty good damage with his Blue plus a stun and ap depletion from the other team.  Once you get Str3nge well covered, IM40/Str3nge were a very fast and efficient team for me in PVP.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,667 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IM40 will charge up Str3ge blue a treat giving you some nice stuns/damage and AP destruction. The only thing you'll want to consider with that team is that IM40 will spend a bunch of time stunned so you'll want your third character to be able to absorb damage to protect Str3nge so he can counter attack. Thor would be a good choice as IM40 will power up his green also for nice AOE attacks.