A plea regarding events

TheDragonHermit
TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
I love that we are seeing more variety in events now and that there is plenty of content for coalition and casual players, let me start off with that so it is known that I do appreciate the efforts of Oktagon on our behalf. But this weekend's events burnt me out. I belong to a coalition where we are expected to hit progression at the least in coalition events, with exceptions for missing PWs, and having two coalition events and a life (usually a 12 hour shift at work, but this week it was traveling) was really too much. As I said before in response to the weekdays pileup, variety is nice, just don't heap it all on us at once. 

Comments

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    The solution to this is to let RotGP die.  Seriously,  does anyone enjoy this event anymore?
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    That is more of an issue with coalitions who insist on this kind of be dedicated or be gone involvement rather than D3 or Oktagon.

I love the fact that we have all these events. The golden rule is this. You don't have to play them all. The only one who pushes you is you.

In two weeks I have collected over 350 jewels. Did I grind? yeah I certainly did. I never would have hit that score without the additional events. But once I hit 400 Jewels I plan to chill and play more casually. Luckily my coalition is very relaxed and prefers strategic instuctions and ideas to meeting coalition minimums. But to each their own. Sorry that you're feeling burnt out friend. This should be fun to play, not a chore. Peace brother
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    The solution to this is to let RotGP die.  Seriously,  does anyone enjoy this event anymore?
    If my only option to play is PvP events, I'd quit until new content came out. I don't love the current PvE, but only PvP would be infinitely worse.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Thank you @babar3355, this was very much the point I was trying to make. So far the scheduling ideas Oktagon has brought up have been feast and famine, when a nice steady flow of events might be more appropriate. And as far as being forced to play by my coalition, I am sure they would understand dealing with almost a full day of traveling would cut down play time (I lost quite a few games, rushing through them between connections) so I have no fear of being kicked out, but I am still part of a community with them, and part of that is our responsibility to each other, in this case making it so we all succeed together.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    wereotter said:
    If my only option to play is PvP events, I'd quit until new content came out. I don't love the current PvE, but only PvP would be infinitely worse.
    That’s a fair point.  Especially HoD with its top heavy rewards.  But I’m sick of 4 day every 6 hour events 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gunmix25 said:
    That is more of an issue with coalitions who insist on this kind of be dedicated or be gone involvement rather than D3 or Oktagon.

I love the fact that we have all these events. The golden rule is this. You don't have to play them all. The only one who pushes you is you.
    I feel like this post I made in another thread is relevant.

The gist is this: MTGPQ's casual players are currently having a blast making up their own rules and tournaments in order to have fun regardless of the actual rules and systems in the game... so why not tailor the games systems for the hardcore players, so they can achieve what they want to out of the game; to fight their way to the top without feeling like it's a slog?
  • shteev
    wereotter said:
    There's no reason why PvE events have to be coalition events, of course.
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    We don't have a coalition event during the week days, why not move one of these events to any day during the week. If we need to have events running simultaneously is better to have a coalition and a non coalition. 
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    why is it that we don't have coalition events spread
    more evenly across the week to make it easier for all
    coalition members to play together?
    I prefer it when we had a lighter coalition event mid
    week(toa) that gave smaller rewards. nobody has to
    play, is that reason to making it more difficult for
    people to play?

HH
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    In my team most decided to play both either because rewards were good enough to justify playing or because we are used to the grind. We had players not playing the no priority event and that is what I was expecting...

But they have 7 days of the week to start the 2 events we had this week, why they need to start at the same day? Is that difficult to chose a different day when lots of players are telling you that they prefer to not have coalition events running simultaneously?
  • deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    My perception is that this is just D3 doing its best with what they have to work with.  From what I have pieced together:

HoR has been hardcoded to be Legacy, requiring a software update to revert it to Standard.  The community has insisted that this change not occur, so they listened, pulling the plug before running it.

HoR is, likewise, locked into Wednesday, with HoD and RotGB being locked into the weekend.  This is a presumption, with no evidence backing it up, but certainly is plausible.

So, until the next update, D3 would seem to have only losing options:

1. Run only one coalition event (this was the case a few weeks back).

2. Run Legacy HoR (no one wants this).

3. Run two events on the weekend.

Option 3 means they are giving away a ton of purple things - this is quite generous and not typically their style.

Again, I’m only guessing, but if this is the case, I fully support the current schedule decision.  Let’s see if things get sorted out after the next update.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    spesler said:
    My perception is that this is just D3 doing its best with what they have to work with.  From what I have pieced together:

HoR has been hardcoded to be Legacy, requiring a software update to revert it to Standard.  The community has insisted that this change not occur, so they listened, pulling the plug before running it.

HoR is, likewise, locked into Wednesday, with HoD and RotGB being locked into the weekend.  This is a presumption, with no evidence backing it up, but certainly is plausible.

So, until the next update, D3 would seem to have only losing options:

1. Run only one coalition event (this was the case a few weeks back).

2. Run Legacy HoR (no one wants this).

3. Run two events on the weekend.

Option 3 means they are giving away a ton of purple things - this is quite generous and not typically their style.

Again, I’m only guessing, but if this is the case, I fully support the current schedule decision.  Let’s see if things get sorted out after the next update.
    your guess sounds totally pausible and true. This is probably the only way for Octagon to give us more coal events until they drop the patch to revert HoR back to "Standard" format. 

I for one isn't complaining when more jewels and crystals are falling into my lap. It's been positive changes since the austere times of Hibernum. 
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    This is comically terrible. We all agree, we just don't want to agree with each other. Of course playing in both events isn't a requirement. Of course it would be ideal if we weren't put in a paradoxical position that causes us to question our friendships. Nobody wants dual coalition events. The rest of this isn't really relevant. I'm sure everything will be, more or less, back to normal once we finally get the new set. None of what's going on right now is permanent. We asked for more stuff. We got more stuff. I understand both sides, but they're so similar, there's really no point in getting offended. 
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    In theory, I don't really mind this. The problem is the length of the ROTGP event. If the coalition PVE event was similar in time investment as the single-player PVEs (~10 games), we would not have this discussion.
  • shteev
    Gunmix25 said:

Eh... I played both,  completed both.  Was not expected of me to do so from my coalition. Am I hardcore? Far from it. Casual? Maybe a little. I like earning the crystals and jewels.  If it helps my coalition,  then awesome.  I don't expect my co- members to meet me match for match.   
    Sounds to me like while you want more variety of events to play, it's not important to you that they are coalition events. Is that fair to say? Ohboy certainly feels that way:
    Ohboy said:

Yes, I like more events. They give us the luxury of choice. If they're both coalition events, I really don't care either way.
    So, it sounds like the answer to everyone's problems is more solo events, less coalition events?

Are there any more problems? Do people like coalition events because the prizes are better? Easy solution there: bump the prizes up on those solo events which are replacing coalition events.
  • shteev
    Ohboy said:
    Only took a year but yay we're finally in consensus! 

Are coalition mates your friends? You don't need weekly quota events to solidify your friendship. Normal events allow for chatter in channels and cooperation just the same, stress and commitment free. 

More events are always better than less events. It's when people feel compelled to play certain events that stress kicks in. If they can't unchain themselves, then putting an end of coalition events will unchain them by force. A monthly coalition brawl for top spot bragging rights should be sufficient.

Unless of course people feel that your friendships are reliant on being paid to play together every week. 
    Leaving aside all the rather hurtful suggestions that my friends don't like me, does anyone else have any problems with not running 2 coalition events at once?