Updates to 4-Star Champion Rewards (11/17/17)

Comments

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    So much for trying to stave off my entry to 5-land as long as possible lol. Hard to call anything wrong with this change, especially for the people who are treading water in the 4-5* transition because it's so hard to cover any one 5-star before they cycle out of latest and enter the vast unknown of token dilution. 

My only concern at this point is how long the retroactive cover giving aspect will last. Since they are doing 4s at such a slow place, it doesn't seem likely that they'll still be giving out say, Mockingbird's 5-star cover reward when they finally get to her, for the people that are hitting 280 now. That part of it gets messy now, but it's still a positive change for the game. 
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    The rich get richer..... 
    Who cares? Will poor become poorer?
    I think everyone benefits from this change, especially we, the "poor ones". Why? Because with more and more 5*s, it is basically impossible to get specific one without paying...
    And about whales - do you think that 40 5*s instead of 30 is such a difference for them? :D
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Fantastic change, keep it up!
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    STOPTHIS said:
    This is a solid update. I only have six 4* characters at 280 or above so far, but one day it will help me. It is unclear if all 4* characters will eventually receive this treatment and if more than one character can point to a 5*, but here is my 280-and-above-list and hopes:

1) Captain Marvel   -->   5* Iron Man (Mark XLVI) or 5* Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Vol. 2)
    2) Kingpin   -->   5* Daredevil (Matt Murdock)
    3) Agent Couson   -->   5* Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
    4) Iron Man   -->   5* Iron Man (Mark XLVI)
    5) Professor X   -->   5* Jean Grey (Phoenix) 
    6) Red Hulk   -->   5* Hulk (Bruce Banner)
    Aside from Kingpin and IMHB, some stretches here. ;) Trying to think who would be most likely to give 5*s without doubling down, though they've never been too bothered with multiple 3*s giving the same 4*.

Silver Surfer - Maybe Carol, but I assume she'll get a 5* around her movie release. So maybe Reed, Sue, or Thing.
    OML - X-Force
    Phoenix - Jean Grey
    BSSM - Venom
    Green Goblin - Sandman
    Iron Man - IMHB
    Captain America - Sam Wilson
    Hulk - GladiHulk
    Black Bolt - Medusa
    Black Widow - Fury
    Strange  - Mordo
    Thanos - Gamora
    Black Panther - No idea. Reed to keep the 3 to 4 to 5* path. Maybe Carol since their both in the Ultimates.
    Hawkeye - Kate Bishop
    Starlord - Starlord
    Doc Ock - Carnage
    SMPP - Vulture
    Gambit - Rogue
    GladiaThor - Lady Thor
    Without checking the actual release dates of Gamora and Medusa, something tells me they are not going to change rewards on any 4*s that are more than 9-12 months old.  Those characters have been around long enough for many people to have them leveled really high, so they would be giving out tons of free 5*s on roll-out each time. 
    I would say it's more likely that we will start seeing this more on the new 4*s with slow addition on the latest 12 and maybe some more recent classics. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Without checking the actual release dates of Gamora and Medusa, something tells me they are not going to change rewards on any 4*s that are more than 9-12 months old.  Those characters have been around long enough for many people to have them leveled really high, so they would be giving out tons of free 5*s on roll-out each time. 
    I would say it's more likely that we will start seeing this more on the new 4*s with slow addition on the latest 12 and maybe some more recent classics. 
    Well, Medusa is basically a year old, at this point, and she was never vaulted, so I'd say there's been plenty of opportunities to get tons of Medusa covers.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I spoke to the developers this morning, and they provided the following information.
    1. Any future 4-Star characters that have their Champion Rewards changed to offer 5-Star covers, will also retroactively credit those covers to players that had already achieved those levels.
    2. Players should NOT sell their Champion 4-Star characters, if they wish to receive the retroactive cover reward.
    Today has been a great day in the MPQ world. Thanks Brigby!!!!!!
  • Badgerpie
    Badgerpie Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Great news

however a couple of mine are on 279 and i was currently hoarding. Do I splurge a little to try and get them to 280 first?

presumably you don’t get the original legendary token taken away if you’ve got spare when the change comes.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I spoke to the developers this morning, and they provided the following information.
    1. Any future 4-Star characters that have their Champion Rewards changed to offer 5-Star covers, will also retroactively credit those covers to players that had already achieved those levels.
    2. Players should NOT sell their Champion 4-Star characters, if they wish to receive the retroactive cover reward.
    I read that a little differently. 

Brigby said:
    As in "we might not do this for every 5* out there, or any more of them, for that matter". So I went back and re-read the original post, hoping I found something to point out I was wrong, but I couldn't find anything.

@Brigby can you ask if this is a feature intended to pair every 5* up with a 4*, or have multiple 4* paired with a 5*, or if this is something that may not include all 5* characters?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    Brigby said:

Brigby said:
    As in "we might not do this for every 5* out there, or any more of them, for that matter". So I went back and re-read the original post, hoping I found something to point out I was wrong, but I couldn't find anything.

@Brigby can you ask if this is a feature intended to pair every 5* up with a 4*, or have multiple 4* paired with a 5*, or if this is something that may not include all 5* characters?
    Does it even matter?
    Whenever a 4 is changed, you'll get to double dip on the LT and a 5* cover.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    So @Brigby
    the real question we want answered is will we stick to newer 4* heroes to determine 5* champ rewards?

Medusa is the only non-12 character to be in the three announced. And there’s only so much ISO to go around. ......

• Jaedenkaal
    Wobby said:
    the real question we want answered is will we stick to newer 4* heroes to determine 5* champ rewards?

Medusa is the only non-12 character to be in the three announced. And there’s only so much ISO to go around. ......

One out of three is hardly a pattern. And they seem to fit the 5*s pretty well, so maybe the better question is "why those 5*s?"
  • Beer40
    Bowgentle said:
    Beer40 said:
    Brigby said:

Brigby said:

Does it even matter?
    It absolutely matters if you understood my question. Maybe it was phrased poorly?

Are we even sure this will be a thing outside of the 3 mentioned? There is nowhere I see that this is something guaranteed. The wording "Any future" is very open ended in that regard. "All future" would imply this is continuing past the 3 original characters mentioned. "Any future" would imply "if we decide to continue doing this past these 3".

That's how I read it anyway, and why I sought clarification. 
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    Beer40 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Beer40 said:
    Brigby said:

Brigby said:

Does it even matter?
    It absolutely matters if you understood my question. Maybe it was phrased poorly?

Are we even sure this will be a thing outside of the 3 mentioned? There is nowhere I see that this is something guaranteed. The wording "Any future" is very open ended in that regard. "All future" would imply this is continuing past the 3 original characters mentioned. "Any future" would imply "if we decide to continue doing this past these 3".

The OP says  Three 4-Stars will be updated in the first batch and more 4-Stars will be updated in the future. 

meaning more than just 3 i think at least one for each give star no idea if they want to have multiple feeders for each 5*
  • Beer40
    Arix90 said:
    Beer40 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Beer40 said:
    Brigby said:

Brigby said:

Does it even matter?

The OP says  Three 4-Stars will be updated in the first batch and more 4-Stars will be updated in the future. 

meaning more than just 3 i think at least one for each give star no idea if they want to have multiple feeders for each 5*
    Apologies, I read it three times and overlooked it every time :(
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Brigby said:
    @Brigby, I understand that we shouldn't sell any of our maxed champed 4s in the future if we want retroactive rewards, but what about if we had sold our max champed dupes in the past?  We didn't know of this feature as something like this has never been done before.  Can they make an exception for any 4 stars that were sold before this feature was mentioned?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Brigby said:
    Brigby, I understand that we shouldn't sell any of our maxed champed 4s in the future if we want retroactive rewards, but what about if we had sold our max champed dupes in the past?  We didn't know of this feature as something like this has never been done before.  Can they make an exception for any 4 stars that were sold before this feature was mentioned?
    Based on my understanding, I believe it is a technical limitation that prevents retroactive rewards from being credited to those that had sold their max Champion duplicates in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I have one minor gripe, my Vulture is at level 279, so I miss out on the double bonus of LT already received at lv 280 plus retroactive Peter Parker cover.  Sucks
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Brigby said:
    Brigby, I understand that we shouldn't sell any of our maxed champed 4s in the future if we want retroactive rewards, but what about if we had sold our max champed dupes in the past?  We didn't know of this feature as something like this has never been done before.  Can they make an exception for any 4 stars that were sold before this feature was mentioned?
    Based on my understanding, I believe it is a technical limitation that prevents retroactive rewards from being credited to those that had sold their max Champion duplicates in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience.
     @brigby,  That makes sense, but c/s knows exactly when covers are obtained and applied and leveled.  Is there a way to ask cs to look at this case by case?  Also, I sent you a pm about 3 weeks ago, did you ever see it?
  • Jaedenkaal
    rocks52 said:
    I have one minor gripe, my Vulture is at level 279, so I miss out on the double bonus of LT already received at lv 280 plus retroactive Peter Parker cover.  Sucks
    I'd say that's a small price to pay for avoiding the alternative of "well, if you already got that LT, too bad. No 5*s for you"